Newly discovered atmospheric layer may impact Earth's climate

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
'Like a giant elevator to the stratosphere:'

Date: April 4, 2014
Source: Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research

An international team of researchers has discovered a previously unknown atmospheric phenomenon over the tropical West Pacific. Like in a giant elevator to the stratosphere, many chemical compounds emitted at the ground pass unfiltered through the so-called 'detergent layer' of the atmosphere, known as the 'OH shield.' The newly discovered phenomenon over the South Seas boosts ozone depletion in the polar regions and could have a significant influence on the future climate of the Earth.

As I'm no scientist or climatologist, I can only go by what this article says. Perhaps this CO2 stuff isn't what it's made out to be. I have no idea what this means, but someone here might.

If one takes into account that sulphur dioxide may also reach the stratosphere via the OH hole over the tropical West Pacific, it quickly becomes obvious that the atmospheric elevator over the South Seas not only boosts ozone depletion, but may influence the climate of the entire Earth. In fact, the aerosol layer in the stratosphere, which is also composed of sulphur particles, seems to have become thicker in recent years. Researchers do not know yet whether there is a connection here.

Read more @ 'Like a giant elevator to the stratosphere:' Newly discovered atmospheric layer may impact Earth's climate -- ScienceDaily

Another local effect that needs to be explained. Climate elements like this are more important than Global models that produce averaged observations.. Good for these guys.. Will effect residence time estimates and might explain some of the periodicity in Ozone at the poles...

Of course it is rather convenient that while the whole man made global warming thing is being shown to be the farce it is they keep finding new things that call into question established science, you remember the science you all claim is settled?

As I'm no scientist or climatologist, I can only go by what this article says. Perhaps this CO2 stuff isn't what it's made out to be. I have no idea what this means, but someone here might.

You're no scientist and you have no idea what this might mean but you believe it might mean that an atmospheric process widely accepted for over a century doesn't actually take place.

You should have payed more attention to Thumper's mom.

1) The role of the hydroxyl ion (OH) in the breakdown of ozone is well known and well understood. But nowhere, with three different search engines (Google, Ixquick and Yahoo), could I get a single independent hit on the terms "OH shield" or "OH layer" and though there are reams of discussion concerning ozone and the hydroxyl ion, nowhere that I could find do those discussions include the term "layer".
2) The dominant thermal effect of the polar ozone holes in our stratosphere and the depletion of stratospheric ozone worldwide is the cooling of the stratosphere. The suggestion that this is the cause of global warming fails on first examination.
3) The addition of sulfate aerosols to the stratosphere is also a cooling phenomenon. Look at the temperature response to large volcanic eruptions.
4) According to this team of scientists, the creation of this hole in the "OH Shield" is a natural process caused simply by the isolation of this particular area from the continents. Thus this process has been taking place for millions of years, is part of the status quo and could not and would not produce novel effects, such as the global warming we've experienced coincident with the rise of GHGs in the atmosphere since the onset of industrialization.

Last edited:
Interesting and it ought to make some of us humble, too.

This is an important part of the world's atmospheric environment. This is a large part of the atmospheric engine that effects the entire world.

We just discovered it.!!!!!!!

So how much faith should we have that we fully understand and can predict atmospheric conditions in the future?

GIGO citizens....GIGO.

What it means is in this day and age scientists still don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Forum List

Back