No Public Input: North Carolina Passes Fracking: Jail Time For Discussing Chemicals

I so wish that were true but I watched rivers burn and saw wonder after wonder turn out to cause cancer and birth defects. Mankind is a short-sited species.

Fracturing a formation occurs thousands of feet below surface. The fracture propagates out inside the lateral approx 300-500 feet max. Those gases are released into the well head. They don't penetrate formations while they are coming up hole.

Oil is a dirty business. No one mixes oil and water, especially drinking water, and has it work out right. I'm not paranoid here, I know the history of mankind. If I didn't, I would be as casual as you are.

That's simple chemistry. Of course oil and water do not mix. But you would have to be ignorant to not acknowledge the breakthroughs in chemistry, physics, and medicine or the products that have made lives better.

accidents STILL HAPPEN Tex....so, it's not as contained as you imply...

most recent...

Fracking accident leaks benzene into Colorado stream | Grist

An above ground spill, has nothing to do with fracking polluting ground water. But nice try.

Yes it does. If a drum of chemicals falls of the back of a truck while being delivered to a fracking site it is connected to fracking and we have a right to know what chemicals are being transported and stored to and at the fracking sites.

It's all contained in the Material Safety Data Sheet, like I said earlier they are on file at the EPA and most of them are available online. But the truck driver is also required to carry a copy of the MSDS on everything on the truck. In case of an accident it is provided to local response personnel. Don't try to discuss shit you know nothing about, I hauled in the oil patch, pretty much anything including fracking chemicals.

North Carolina gets a Texas-sized warning on fracking

...Among the chemicals the study found at dangerously high levels were benzene, a known cancer-causing chemical that was detected in one sample at 55 times the Texas standard for long-term health effects. Naphthalene, a potential human carcinogen, was found at levels 3.6 times the standard. Detected levels of xylenes, potent neurotoxins, were double the long-term health standard.

Other chemicals found at levels exceeding TCEQ's health standards were dimethyl sulfide, methyl ethyl disulfide, ethyl-methyl-disulfide, trimethyl benzene, 1,2,4-trimethyl benzene, carbonyl sulfide, carbon disulfide, methyl pyridine and dimethyl pyridine.

In response, TCEQ conducted its own study, testing blood and urine samples from 28 people living in or near Dish. While it did find elevated levels of some toxic compounds in people's bodies, it attributed those to other exposures such as cigarette smoking and household cleaning products. However, TCEQ acknowledged that its study had limitations -- including the fact that it was based on a one-time sample even though the compounds of concern typically stay in the body for only a few hours.

TCEQ's findings did not assuage Tillman's worries. When his sons suffered three severe nosebleeds in the middle of the night during a single week in late May 2010, he decided to leave. In March 2011 the family moved to Aubrey, Texas -- 15 miles from the nearest gas well. Since then, he reports, his sons have not experienced a single middle-of-the-night nosebleed.

But it's not only the health impact of fracking that upset Tillman. As a conservative who was a registered Republican until he became disgusted over former Vice President Dick Cheney's role in securing the "Halliburton loophole" exempting fracking fluid ingredients from disclosure under environmental laws, Tillman is offended by the impact the gas industry has on private property rights. He says that the bill North Carolina is considering is especially troubling on that front. North Carolina gets a Texas-sized warning on fracking

North Carolina Senate outlaws disclosure of fracking fluid secrets

(Reuters) - The North Carolina Senate on Thursday voted to make it a crime to disclose the chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, even as big U.S. oil companies elsewhere consider releasing more information about the fluids to address public concerns about the environment.

The legislation, proposed by three Republican state senators and passed by a vote of 35-12, aims to protect trade secrets about fluids used to extract oil or gas from wells using fracking, which blasts sand, water and chemicals deep beneath the earth's surface.

Environmentalists concerned about groundwater contamination and health risks want more information made public... North Carolina Senate outlaws disclosure of fracking fluid secrets | Reuters

I hear it's a mandatory 4 month jail sentence for publishing the chemicals used in fracking. Once pumped into the groundwater supply there is no chance of cleaning them up...ever.

Fracking stands to be one of the worst environmental disasters in human history for its potential to cause un-cleanable forever toxic carcinogens. It will lay waste to anywhere in the US it is allowed to go forward in.

If there was ever a time to revive Earth First, this is it.

I'd like to see Stephen Colbert [before his home state just south of there gets fracking shoved down its throat without public input], take on Haliburton and go to jail [and get a Pulitzer] for exposing what's used in fracking on his show. He could go out of Comedy Central with a big bang. A Nobel Peace Prize might be in order too. Would look nice on his shelf of prizes..
Let them frack all they want......in Texas. Go for it.

Been doing it for more than 60 years, no major problems.

An above ground spill, has nothing to do with fracking polluting ground water. But nice try.

Yes it does. If a drum of chemicals falls of the back of a truck while being delivered to a fracking site it is connected to fracking and we have a right to know what chemicals are being transported and stored to and at the fracking sites.

It's all contained in the Material Safety Data Sheet, like I said earlier they are on file at the EPA and most of them are available online. But the truck driver is also required to carry a copy of the MSDS on everything on the truck. In case of an accident it is provided to local response personnel. Don't try to discuss shit you know nothing about, I hauled in the oil patch, pretty much anything including fracking chemicals.

That's correct. Every chemical is on file.

Fracturing a formation occurs thousands of feet below surface. The fracture propagates out inside the lateral approx 300-500 feet max. Those gases are released into the well head. They don't penetrate formations while they are coming up hole.

Oil is a dirty business. No one mixes oil and water, especially drinking water, and has it work out right. I'm not paranoid here, I know the history of mankind. If I didn't, I would be as casual as you are.

That's simple chemistry. Of course oil and water do not mix. But you would have to be ignorant to not acknowledge the breakthroughs in chemistry, physics, and medicine or the products that have made lives better.
That's a questionable premise. Technological advance is always a mixed blessing. For every help with a Polio there is a radioactive waste to be dealt with. As far as oil goes, it has created the world we have today, which is hardly a paradise now is it?

Idiots are giving up rights to free press and speech. Making it a crime to have investigative research and or journalism. This shit could not have been imagined not to long ago. A corporation pumps chemicals into the ground and it is against the law to tell the public what chemicals they are. And look at the fools here defending that loss of liberty and freedom.

I think it's great you liberals are getting the same treatment you give conservatives.

That's a questionable premise. Technological advance is always a mixed blessing. For every help with a Polio there is a radioactive waste to be dealt with. As far as oil goes, it has created the world we have today, which is hardly a paradise now is it?

Right, we got so damned many more people living past 30 now than they did just a few hundred years ago, it's really a bitch ain't it.

Idiots are giving up rights to free press and speech. Making it a crime to have investigative research and or journalism. This shit could not have been imagined not to long ago. A corporation pumps chemicals into the ground and it is against the law to tell the public what chemicals they are. And look at the fools here defending that loss of liberty and freedom.

I think it's great you liberals are getting the same treatment you give conservatives.

Has somebody recently attempted to pass a law to put you in jail for talking about something or are you just blabbering nonsense?

Right, we got so damned many more people living past 30 now than they did just a few hundred years ago, it's really a bitch ain't it.
Every coin has two sides.

I hear it's a mandatory 4 month jail sentence for publishing the chemicals used in fracking. Once pumped into the groundwater supply there is no chance of cleaning them up...ever.

Fracking stands to be one of the worst environmental disasters in human history for its potential to cause un-cleanable forever toxic carcinogens. It will lay waste to anywhere in the US it is allowed to go forward in.

If there was ever a time to revive Earth First, this is it.

I'd like to see Stephen Colbert [before his home state just south of there gets fracking shoved down its throat without public input], take on Haliburton and go to jail [and get a Pulitzer] for exposing what's used in fracking on his show. He could go out of Comedy Central with a big bang. A Nobel Peace Prize might be in order too. Would look nice on his shelf of prizes..

Good...my family is making money off of it. :D

Good...my family is making money off of it. :D

Many families are making money off it and many others have a better life because of it. I know first hand the emphasis on safety in the oil field and have seen how fast a person can lose their job for just minor safety infractions.

Not really a debate here about fracking. Debate is about being able to talk about chemicals used at a work site and on a work project. Not even a debate about the chemicals. It's about whether talking about them will put you in a jail cell.

Which does not make fracking any better.

sue me ...

Chemical Name CAS Chemical Purpose Product Function
Hydrochloric Acid 007647-01-0 Helps dissolve minerals and initiate cracks in the rock Acid

Glutaraldehyde 000111-30-8 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Quaternary Ammonium Chloride 012125-02-9 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Quaternary Ammonium Chloride 061789-71-1 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Tetrakis Hydroxymethyl-Phosphonium Sulfate 055566-30-8 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide

Ammonium Persulfate 007727-54-0 Allows a delayed break down of the gel Breaker
Sodium Chloride 007647-14-5 Product Stabilizer Breaker
Magnesium Peroxide 014452-57-4 Allows a delayed break down the gel Breaker
Magnesium Oxide 001309-48-4 Allows a delayed break down the gel Breaker
Calcium Chloride 010043-52-4 Product Stabilizer Breaker

Choline Chloride 000067-48-1 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer
Tetramethyl ammonium chloride 000075-57-0 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer
Sodium Chloride 007647-14-5 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer

Isopropanol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent Corrosion Inhibitor
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent Corrosion Inhibitor
Formic Acid 000064-18-6 Prevents the corrosion of the pipe Corrosion Inhibitor
Acetaldehyde 000075-07-0 Prevents the corrosion of the pipe Corrosion Inhibitor

Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for borate or zirconate crosslinker Crosslinker
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for borate or zirconate crosslinker Crosslinker
Potassium Metaborate 013709-94-9 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Triethanolamine Zirconate 101033-44-7 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Sodium Tetraborate 001303-96-4 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Boric Acid 001333-73-9 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Zirconium Complex 113184-20-6 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Borate Salts N/A Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Crosslinker
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Crosslinker

Polyacrylamide 009003-05-8 “Slicks” the water to minimize friction Friction Reducer
Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for polyacrylamide friction reducer Friction Reducer
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for polyacrylamide friction reducer Friction Reducer
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Friction Reducer
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Friction Reducer

Guar Gum 009000-30-0 Thickens the water in order to suspend the sand Gelling Agent
Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for guar gum in liquid gels Gelling Agent
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for guar gum in liquid gels Gelling Agent
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Gelling Agent
Polysaccharide Blend 068130-15-4 Thickens the water in order to suspend the sand Gelling Agent
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Gelling Agent

Citric Acid 000077-92-9 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Acetic Acid 000064-19-7 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Thioglycolic Acid 000068-11-1 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Sodium Erythorbate 006381-77-7 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control

Lauryl Sulfate 000151-21-3 Used to prevent the formation of emulsions in the fracture fluid Non-Emulsifier
Isopropanol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Non-Emulsifier
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Non-Emulsifier

Sodium Hydroxide 001310-73-2 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Potassium Hydroxide 001310-58-3 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Acetic Acid 000064-19-7 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Sodium Carbonate 000497-19-8 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Potassium Carbonate 000584-08-7 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent

Copolymer of Acrylamide and Sodium Acrylate 025987-30-8 Prevents scale deposits in the pipe Scale Inhibitor
Sodium Polycarboxylate N/A Prevents scale deposits in the pipe Scale Inhibitor
Phosphonic Acid Salt N/A Prevents scale deposits in the pipe Scale Inhibitor

Lauryl Sulfate 000151-21-3 Used to increase the viscosity of the fracture fluid Surfactant
Ethanol 000064-17-5 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Surfactant
Naphthalene 000091-20-3 Carrier fluid for the active surfactant ingredients Surfactant
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Surfactant
Isopropyl Alcohol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Surfactant
2-Butoxyethanol 000111-76-2 Product stabilizer Surfactant

Not really a debate here about fracking. Debate is about being able to talk about chemicals used at a work site and on a work project. Not even a debate about the chemicals. It's about whether talking about them will put you in a jail cell.

There is a major difference between talking about chemicals and disclosing trade secrets, but you already knew that. I have no problem with a law to protect trade secrets.

I wrote the OP.

A. This is DEFINITELY a debate about fracking.

B. This is DEFINITELY a debate about the chemicals used in fracking.

The topic of fracking and the insidious loopholes this poisoning industry is manipulating to poison fresh water supplies forever, with no hope or way of cleaning them up, rendering vast regions of the continental US environmentally "dead' or sterile is WIDE OPEN for discussion on any or all aspects of it.

There needs to be a journalist willing or wanting a Pulitzer to go to jail for exposing industry trade secrets. That's how you get the prize. I suppose saving the country is worth it too.

Fracking needs to STOP and there is no debate about that IMHO. Would you let someone poison your well? Then you should do everything you would do to stop that from happening to fracking also. Because that's exactly what they're doing: poisoning the public water supply forever for short term profiteering. Nazi style. Where they dare you to speak out.

I wonder what type of a PR issue it would be for them if someone was put in jail for exposing fracking poisons?... :eusa_clap: It would be the death of fracking. Go ahead journalists.

I dare you! I DOUBLE dare you!!

sue me ...

Chemical Name CAS Chemical Purpose Product Function
Hydrochloric Acid 007647-01-0 Helps dissolve minerals and initiate cracks in the rock Acid

Glutaraldehyde 000111-30-8 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Quaternary Ammonium Chloride 012125-02-9 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Quaternary Ammonium Chloride 061789-71-1 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Tetrakis Hydroxymethyl-Phosphonium Sulfate 055566-30-8 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide

Ammonium Persulfate 007727-54-0 Allows a delayed break down of the gel Breaker
Sodium Chloride 007647-14-5 Product Stabilizer Breaker
Magnesium Peroxide 014452-57-4 Allows a delayed break down the gel Breaker
Magnesium Oxide 001309-48-4 Allows a delayed break down the gel Breaker
Calcium Chloride 010043-52-4 Product Stabilizer Breaker

Choline Chloride 000067-48-1 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer
Tetramethyl ammonium chloride 000075-57-0 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer
Sodium Chloride 007647-14-5 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer

Isopropanol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent Corrosion Inhibitor
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent Corrosion Inhibitor
Formic Acid 000064-18-6 Prevents the corrosion of the pipe Corrosion Inhibitor
Acetaldehyde 000075-07-0 Prevents the corrosion of the pipe Corrosion Inhibitor

Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for borate or zirconate crosslinker Crosslinker
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for borate or zirconate crosslinker Crosslinker
Potassium Metaborate 013709-94-9 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Triethanolamine Zirconate 101033-44-7 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Sodium Tetraborate 001303-96-4 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Boric Acid 001333-73-9 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Zirconium Complex 113184-20-6 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Borate Salts N/A Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Crosslinker
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Crosslinker

Polyacrylamide 009003-05-8 “Slicks” the water to minimize friction Friction Reducer
Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for polyacrylamide friction reducer Friction Reducer
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for polyacrylamide friction reducer Friction Reducer
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Friction Reducer
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Friction Reducer

Guar Gum 009000-30-0 Thickens the water in order to suspend the sand Gelling Agent
Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for guar gum in liquid gels Gelling Agent
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for guar gum in liquid gels Gelling Agent
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Gelling Agent
Polysaccharide Blend 068130-15-4 Thickens the water in order to suspend the sand Gelling Agent
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Gelling Agent

Citric Acid 000077-92-9 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Acetic Acid 000064-19-7 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Thioglycolic Acid 000068-11-1 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Sodium Erythorbate 006381-77-7 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control

Lauryl Sulfate 000151-21-3 Used to prevent the formation of emulsions in the fracture fluid Non-Emulsifier
Isopropanol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Non-Emulsifier
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Non-Emulsifier

Sodium Hydroxide 001310-73-2 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Potassium Hydroxide 001310-58-3 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Acetic Acid 000064-19-7 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Sodium Carbonate 000497-19-8 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Potassium Carbonate 000584-08-7 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent

Copolymer of Acrylamide and Sodium Acrylate 025987-30-8 Prevents scale deposits in the pipe Scale Inhibitor
Sodium Polycarboxylate N/A Prevents scale deposits in the pipe Scale Inhibitor
Phosphonic Acid Salt N/A Prevents scale deposits in the pipe Scale Inhibitor

Lauryl Sulfate 000151-21-3 Used to increase the viscosity of the fracture fluid Surfactant
Ethanol 000064-17-5 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Surfactant
Naphthalene 000091-20-3 Carrier fluid for the active surfactant ingredients Surfactant
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Surfactant
Isopropyl Alcohol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Surfactant
2-Butoxyethanol 000111-76-2 Product stabilizer Surfactant

Would you also be so kind as to list the toxicity to the human body of those chemicals above? And how drinking them in your water supply forever might not only render death to people currently occupying a region whose public water supply is derived from underground water sources, but also how that region and all its real estate value will plummet so guys like Dick Cheney can take several more exclusive lodge hunting trips each year?

Poisoning public wells isn't a right or left matter. It's a matter of public safety.

Journalists? Pulitzer?

I wrote the OP.

A. This is DEFINITELY a debate about fracking.

B. This is DEFINITELY a debate about the chemicals used in fracking.

The topic of fracking and the insidious loopholes this poisoning industry is manipulating to poison fresh water supplies forever, with no hope or way of cleaning them up, rendering vast regions of the continental US environmentally "dead' or sterile is WIDE OPEN for discussion on any or all aspects of it.

There needs to be a journalist willing or wanting a Pulitzer to go to jail for exposing industry trade secrets. That's how you get the prize. I suppose saving the country is worth it too.

Fracking needs to STOP and there is no debate about that IMHO. Would you let someone poison your well? Then you should do everything you would do to stop that from happening to fracking also. Because that's exactly what they're doing: poisoning the public water supply forever for short term profiteering. Nazi style. Where they dare you to speak out.

I wonder what type of a PR issue it would be for them if someone was put in jail for exposing fracking poisons?... :eusa_clap: It would be the death of fracking. Go ahead journalists.

I dare you! I DOUBLE dare you!!

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

Forum List

Back