No Thanks?

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
I use the thanks button whenever I find someone's post to be helpful, unique and or enlightening; I would like a "No Thanks" button allowing us the option to tell others their post lacked substance, or was so entirely partisan it didn't keep a debate/thread moving forward, was simply stupid or an obvious need for attention by someone with nothing to offer.

Poll to follow

Just another way for people to be nasty to each other. There are already plenty of those so I see no need for another.

Yeah, I can see a huge potential for abuse. Those that don't like a person or their views can all pile on and no-thank an interesting post. That kind of hurts the post and stifles free speech. If someone is being a troll, the only thing to do is skip it, put them on ignore, or report it if you feel they are always off-topic.

The Poll didn't work, and my attempt to delete the thread and try again failed too.

So, do you support a "No Thanks" button or not?

Similar to Obamacare's website or threads regarding selling 6,000 electric vehicles.

Only this one only cost you some time. Which you seem to have plenty of.

:lol:

I use the thanks button whenever I find someone's post to be helpful, unique and or enlightening; I would like a "No Thanks" button allowing us the option to tell others their post lacked substance, or was so entirely partisan it didn't keep a debate/thread moving forward, was simply stupid or an obvious need for attention by someone with nothing to offer.

Poll to follow

It is called neg rep.

Poll to follow

It is called neg rep.

Negative Reps are for felonies, not simply stupid or obnoxious posts. My default is to offer a "Thanks for Sharing", a no thanks seems simpler and cleaner.

No Thanks.

If WC doesn't care for a post, he/she/it doesn't have to Thank It or can Neg Rep it. We don't need yet another feedback mechanism.

Poll to follow

It is called neg rep.

Negative Reps are for felonies, not simply stupid or obnoxious posts. My default is to offer a "Thanks for Sharing", a no thanks seems simpler and cleaner.

You'd rack up a huge No Thanks total then, so be careful what you wish for, bub.

Just another way for people to be nasty to each other. There are already plenty of those so I see no need for another.

There's truth to that, but when a post receives dozens of "No thanks" maybe, just maybe, some of the dumbest will gain some insight.

Nah...you've already proven that's a failed concept. You read the truth here everyday and it still hasn't sunk in. I dont see how some one reminding you of that is going to make that much of a difference.
The programming just goes to deep.

There's truth to that, but when a post receives dozens of "No thanks" maybe, just maybe, some of the dumbest will gain some insight.

All the people who keep pointing out how wrong you are haven't slowed down your posting, do you really think seeing a bunch of "No Thanks" after one of your post would make a difference?

Yeah, I can see a huge potential for abuse. Those that don't like a person or their views can all pile on and no-thank an interesting post. That kind of hurts the post and stifles free speech. If someone is being a troll, the only thing to do is skip it, put them on ignore, or report it if you feel they are always off-topic.

I use thanks because you can appreciate a post someone made especially if they have posted something you wanted to say yourself but they said it much better.

If someone posts something I don't like I just respond in the thread to them with what I don't like or don't agree with about their post.

I don't see a reason for no thanks, the rep system covers all that kind of stuff in my opinion.

I opted out of rep so I can just discuss the issue with people and not make it a popularity contest to boost my ego or for others to use it in personal ways to be hateful privately by sending mean notes on the rep :dunno:

I'd rather get rid of the thanks button then add a no-thanks button. :cool:

I use thanks because you can appreciate a post someone made especially if they have posted something you wanted to say yourself but they said it much better.

If someone posts something I don't like I just respond in the thread to them with what I don't like or don't agree with about their post.

I don't see a reason for no thanks, the rep system covers all that kind of stuff in my opinion.

I opted out of rep so I can just discuss the issue with people and not make it a popularity contest to boost my ego or for others to use it in personal ways to be hateful privately by sending mean notes on the rep :dunno:

I'd rather get rid of the thanks button then add a no-thanks button. :cool:

Well said. The important difference, IMO, is the author of a post who receives a large number of "Thanks" gets immediate feedback for a quality post. People who regularly post 'idiotgrams' or glib single one-liners can also receive immediate feedback that their comment is viewed poorly by the community.

Negative reps are for the malicious, mendacious and mean; a No Thanks for the foolish members of the echo chamber who have nothing to offer and prove it over and over.

Dumb is subjective, and nobody ever "learns" from the other forms of negativity heaped on them so I see no reason why this would be different. The only difference would be one more thing for people to whine about.

Forum List

Back