North Carolina Judge Temporarily Blocks Law That Strips Incoming Democratic Governor’s Power

pwjohn

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Buttlick Kentucky
I have to laugh everytime I see some blowhard repubs waving the constitution around like some kind of a prize whenever it suits their needs. The rest of the time they happily trample all over it.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5866c363e4b0eb586489603a

A North Carolina judge has temporarily blocked a law prohibiting Governor-elect Roy Cooper (D) from making appointments to the state election board.

Cooper filed a lawsuit Friday asking Wake County judge Donald Stephens to stop the law from taking effect on Sunday, when Cooper will be sworn in. The governor-elect argued that it violates separation of powers in the state constitution by transferring power from the governor to the legislature.

The ire of the governor coming into office is understandable at the churlish action of the legislative majority in NC.

If the legislature did follow constitutional procedure, then the judge is wrong.

They didn't. The states constitution provides for three separate but equal branches of government. Just like our constitution. The outgoing repub governor conspiring with the repub controlled legislature engaged in a power grab by illegally transferring power reserved for the governors office to the legislature.

I don't blame Republicans for wanting to protect their state from democratic overreach. Like the absurd and anti constitutional gun laws in cali.

Also, this isn't a constitutional issue. This is a state issue. These are powers granted by the state house to the governor at their discretion. Not power granted by the constitution of the state or of the U.S.

How is restricting the power of the executive branch a threat to freedom? On the contrary, the less power the better, generally.

I don't blame Republicans for wanting to protect their state from democratic overreach. Like the absurd and anti constitutional gun laws in cali.

Also, this isn't a constitutional issue. This is a state issue. These are powers granted by the state house to the governor at their discretion. Not power granted by the constitution of the state or of the U.S.

How is restricting the power of the executive branch a threat to freedom? On the contrary, the less power the better, generally.

North Carolina has a constitution. My comments were clear on that point. Three separate but equal beaches of government. Just like our constitution.

Forum List

Back