North Korea sentences US college student to 15 years' hard labour

Not wrong.

I didn't say harsh punishments weren't common in North Korea, I wasn't talking about many of the things that are considered crimes for North Korean citizens. I was talking about what this guy did.

The US doesn't negotiate with "criminals"? Well actually they'd be negotiating FOR a criminal. North Korea makes the rules within its own borders, the regime aren't criminals, unless of course you want to get into international law, in which case many of the countries the US deal with are criminals.

List of Americans detained by North Korea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jeffery Edward Fowle, flew out on a US govt jet from North Korea. Arrested for leaving a Bible behind (deliberately as well, they should have let him rot).

Matthew Todd Miller and Kenneth Bae released after intervention from US GOVERNMENT WORKER James Clapper, Director of National Intelligence.

Merril Newman was taken off his flight back to Beijing, Bill Richardson went and mediated and the Swedish Embassy there (which does work for the US who don't have an Embassy there) were also in touch relaying messages from the US to the North Koreans.

Yep, the US doesn't negotiate with terrorists, much, well, most of the time, but hey.

The kid will be back before March 2017.
I said the United States won't negotiate FOR a criminal, so don't correct me. And you're conflating material crimes with political crimes such as having a bible. His wasn't a political crime, it was one of theft and vandalism and your claim that a North Korean national committing the same offense wouldn't be punished is nonsense.

Okay, i got something wrong, what I didn't get wrong is that he'll be back soon.
Nope. You got that wrong too. We're not going to negotiate for this vandal/thief. Hopefully in 15 years, he's a wiser man.

Any evidence to suggest why the US would suddenly change policy now? It's gone in there for every other person, why not now?
No it hasn't. There are plenty of Americans in prisons all over the world for committing crimes in foreign countries. We aren't trying to recover them.
there's a vast difference between doing a real crime and getting justice done to you, and committing a petty crime and getting fucked.

I said the United States won't negotiate FOR a criminal, so don't correct me. And you're conflating material crimes with political crimes such as having a bible. His wasn't a political crime, it was one of theft and vandalism and your claim that a North Korean national committing the same offense wouldn't be punished is nonsense.

Okay, i got something wrong, what I didn't get wrong is that he'll be back soon.
Nope. You got that wrong too. We're not going to negotiate for this vandal/thief. Hopefully in 15 years, he's a wiser man.

Any evidence to suggest why the US would suddenly change policy now? It's gone in there for every other person, why not now?
No it hasn't. There are plenty of Americans in prisons all over the world for committing crimes in foreign countries. We aren't trying to recover them.
there's a vast difference between doing a real crime and getting justice done to you, and committing a petty crime and getting fucked.
Maybe it isn't petty to them. Different culture. Had he respected that culture to begin with, he wouldn't be in this mess.

Maybe it isn't petty to them. Different culture. Had he respected that culture to begin with, he wouldn't be in this mess.
plz stop being so full of shit

no one thinks fucking with a poster is a major crime, there's no culture that says; posters are important to our culture.

nk is a batshit crazy place that will fuck anyone over for any reason to get what they want

no one thinks fucking with a poster is a major crime, there's no culture that says; posters are important to our culture.

nk is a batshit crazy place that will fuck anyone over for any reason to get what they want
They have a right to their laws and their culture. You can moan about it all you want, but the whelp didn't respect the law and now the whelp is paying the price.

They have a right to their laws and their culture. You can moan about it all you want, but the whelp didn't respect the law and now the whelp is paying the price.
it's not their culture

there's no culture that prizes mass produced posters.

hes a pawn, nothing more

Not wrong.

I didn't say harsh punishments weren't common in North Korea, I wasn't talking about many of the things that are considered crimes for North Korean citizens. I was talking about what this guy did.

The US doesn't negotiate with "criminals"? Well actually they'd be negotiating FOR a criminal. North Korea makes the rules within its own borders, the regime aren't criminals, unless of course you want to get into international law, in which case many of the countries the US deal with are criminals.

List of Americans detained by North Korea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jeffery Edward Fowle, flew out on a US govt jet from North Korea. Arrested for leaving a Bible behind (deliberately as well, they should have let him rot).

Matthew Todd Miller and Kenneth Bae released after intervention from US GOVERNMENT WORKER James Clapper, Director of National Intelligence.

Merril Newman was taken off his flight back to Beijing, Bill Richardson went and mediated and the Swedish Embassy there (which does work for the US who don't have an Embassy there) were also in touch relaying messages from the US to the North Koreans.

Yep, the US doesn't negotiate with terrorists, much, well, most of the time, but hey.

The kid will be back before March 2017.

Can you PLEASE stick to the topic?

Who cares if there are plenty of Americans in prisons all over the world? What does this have to do with this topic? Nothing, that's what.

Who cares if there are plenty of Americans in prisons all over the world? What does this have to do with this topic? Nothing, that's what.
It proves you wrong, skid mark. The US does not negotiate to get criminals out of foreign prisons.

It proves you wrong, skid mark. The US does not negotiate to get criminals out of foreign prisons.

No it doesn't, going off and talking about something that has nothing to do with the topic we're talking about doesn't prove anyone wrong.

We're talking about NORTH KOREA in case you hadn't noticed.

The US DOES negotiate to get US citizens out of NORTH KOREA and has done without exception in the last dozen cases.

it's not their culture

hes a pawn, nothing more
It isn't the poster, Twaticus, it's vandalism. You're probably too young to remember the flak raised over an American juvenile who was sentenced to a caning in Thailand because he "tagged" public property with graffiti. In Asian culture, vandalism isn't tolerated and therefore it rarely happens. You can menstruate all over the thread if you want, but in the end, it's their laws and their culture and the whelp will serve 15 years for disrespecting it.

it's not their culture

hes a pawn, nothing more
It isn't the poster, Twaticus, it's vandalism. You're probably too young to remember the flak raised over an American juvenile who was sentenced to a caning in Thailand because he "tagged" public property with graffiti. In Asian culture, vandalism isn't tolerated and therefore it rarely happens. You can menstruate all over the thread if you want, but in the end, it's their laws and their culture and the whelp will serve 15 years for disrespecting it.
I recall the caning

and you're still full of shit for thinking it's part of their culture

it's not their culture

hes a pawn, nothing more
I recall the caning

and you're still full of shit for thinking it's part of their culture
You recall the caning. And you STILL can't connect the dots. Pathetic.

Forum List

Back