North Korea sentences US college student to 15 years' hard labour

North Korea is low crime precisely because they don't screw around when it comes to punishing crime. They look at our country with hooligans running rampant in the streets destroying property and feel vindicated.

Oh, and wtf was he doing in NK to begin with? Usually visitors are communist sympathizers like that assclown Dennis Rodman.

He's not being punished for crime, he's being punished because he's American and the North Korean govt will ask for a lifting of certain sanctions in order for him to be released.

It's not the first time, or the last, they'll do this. They wait until an American does something even slightly wrong. Were a North Korean to do this, nothing would have happened either.
Wrong. Harsh punishments are very common in North Korea and other Asian nations as well. His punishment has nothing to do with being an American. And the United States does not negotiate for criminals. He's going to serve his entire sentence and he'll be lucky if the State Department pays for a plane ticket home afterwards.

Not wrong.

I didn't say harsh punishments weren't common in North Korea, I wasn't talking about many of the things that are considered crimes for North Korean citizens. I was talking about what this guy did.

The US doesn't negotiate with "criminals"? Well actually they'd be negotiating FOR a criminal. North Korea makes the rules within its own borders, the regime aren't criminals, unless of course you want to get into international law, in which case many of the countries the US deal with are criminals.

List of Americans detained by North Korea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jeffery Edward Fowle, flew out on a US govt jet from North Korea. Arrested for leaving a Bible behind (deliberately as well, they should have let him rot).

Matthew Todd Miller and Kenneth Bae released after intervention from US GOVERNMENT WORKER James Clapper, Director of National Intelligence.

Merril Newman was taken off his flight back to Beijing, Bill Richardson went and mediated and the Swedish Embassy there (which does work for the US who don't have an Embassy there) were also in touch relaying messages from the US to the North Koreans.

Yep, the US doesn't negotiate with terrorists, much, well, most of the time, but hey.

The kid will be back before March 2017.
I said the United States won't negotiate FOR a criminal, so don't correct me. And you're conflating material crimes with political crimes such as having a bible. His wasn't a political crime, it was one of theft and vandalism and your claim that a North Korean national committing the same offense wouldn't be punished is nonsense.

Okay, i got something wrong, what I didn't get wrong is that he'll be back soon.

I wonder if he will be used as a bargaining chip for some nefarious purpose.

I heard today that an American schoolteacher en route to Cairo, had been arrested at Abu Dhabi airport on trumped up fictitious charges.

North Korea is low crime precisely because they don't screw around when it comes to punishing crime. They look at our country with hooligans running rampant in the streets destroying property and feel vindicated.

Oh, and wtf was he doing in NK to begin with? Usually visitors are communist sympathizers like that assclown Dennis Rodman.

He's not being punished for crime, he's being punished because he's American and the North Korean govt will ask for a lifting of certain sanctions in order for him to be released.

It's not the first time, or the last, they'll do this. They wait until an American does something even slightly wrong. Were a North Korean to do this, nothing would have happened either.
Wrong. Harsh punishments are very common in North Korea and other Asian nations as well. His punishment has nothing to do with being an American. And the United States does not negotiate for criminals. He's going to serve his entire sentence and he'll be lucky if the State Department pays for a plane ticket home afterwards.

Not wrong.

I didn't say harsh punishments weren't common in North Korea, I wasn't talking about many of the things that are considered crimes for North Korean citizens. I was talking about what this guy did.

The US doesn't negotiate with "criminals"? Well actually they'd be negotiating FOR a criminal. North Korea makes the rules within its own borders, the regime aren't criminals, unless of course you want to get into international law, in which case many of the countries the US deal with are criminals.

Jeffery Edward Fowle, flew out on a US govt jet from North Korea. Arrested for leaving a Bible behind (deliberately as well, they should have let him rot).

Matthew Todd Miller and Kenneth Bae released after intervention from US GOVERNMENT WORKER James Clapper, Director of National Intelligence.

Merril Newman was taken off his flight back to Beijing, Bill Richardson went and mediated and the Swedish Embassy there (which does work for the US who don't have an Embassy there) were also in touch relaying messages from the US to the North Koreans.

Yep, the US doesn't negotiate with terrorists, much, well, most of the time, but hey.

I said the United States won't negotiate FOR a criminal, so don't correct me. And you're conflating material crimes with political crimes such as having a bible. His wasn't a political crime, it was one of theft and vandalism and your claim that a North Korean national committing the same offense wouldn't be punished is nonsense.

Okay, i got something wrong, what I didn't get wrong is that he'll be back soon.
Nope. You got that wrong too. We're not going to negotiate for this vandal/thief. Hopefully in 15 years, he's a wiser man.

Not wrong.

Nope. You got that wrong too. We're not going to negotiate for this vandal/thief. Hopefully in 15 years, he's a wiser man.
we have done it before and will do it now

I heard today that an American schoolteacher en route to Cairo, had been arrested at Abu Dhabi airport on trumped up fictitious charges.
nk needs food and money

they have traded for it in the past and will do so again

Not wrong.

We'll see.

nk needs food and money

Who is financing their nuclear ambitions?

Not wrong.

We'll see.
time table depends on a number of things
are his parents dems or members of another America hating group? if not, he's stuck
do his parents trust the system to help him or do they mobalise themselves? if they trust, he's stuck
does obama want to let his replacement get an easy win? he better hope trump gets the nom

nk needs food and money

Who is financing their nuclear ambitions?
dunno, but I'm certain more than a few dollars have

In the U.S., when someone steals, Liberals look for all sorts of excuses as to why it really wasn't the person's fault. They may say what they did was wrong but twist themselves like a pretzel finding an excuse for what "caused" it. N. Korea treats them as a thief.

Not wrong.

Any evidence to suggest why the US would suddenly change policy now? It's gone in there for every other person, why not now?

In the U.S., when someone steals, Liberals look for all sorts of excuses as to why it really wasn't the person's fault. They may say what they did was wrong but twist themselves like a pretzel finding an excuse for what "caused" it. N. Korea treats them as a thief.

It's not like he stole a TV. He took a North Korean banner to bring back to America as a "trophy". In a way, it was patriotic.

The student has claimed the US set him up,
The US made him steal? In some ways this is like the dindu who got shot burglarizing a home. Both young men thought they had a right to steal. There was no right to steal a banner for a trophy. Now he knows. 15 years is a light sentence for North Korea.

He doesn't deserve what he gets. Just a typical American muppet acting like one in da' wrong place!

Not wrong.

Any evidence to suggest why the US would suddenly change policy now? It's gone in there for every other person, why not now?
No it hasn't. There are plenty of Americans in prisons all over the world for committing crimes in foreign countries. We aren't trying to recover them.

Forum List

Back