Northwestern University football players can unionize

Other than "pay me"

I think players should have the right to collectively bargain on safety concerns, medical care, scholarship rules and dozens of other issues

They should also be allowed to give paid endorsements, paid autographs and receive a cut of shoe contracts and other income not directly related to playing

Other than "pay me"

I think players should have the right to collectively bargain on safety concerns, medical care, scholarship rules and dozens of other issues

They should also be allowed to give paid endorsements, paid autographs and receive a cut of shoe contracts and other income not directly related to playing

That's putting the nuts in charge of the Asylum. If they have safety concerns, don't play. Dozens of issues is a Pandora's box.
I'll be amazed if the NCAA doesn't suspend all college sports until the ruling is overturned. Universities will lose trillions of dollars. Football, baseball, basketball, soccer, golf. Students getting half of all those revenues. Tuition will have to be doubled.

Last edited:
Northwestern players (who suck) get $60K per year tax-free scholarships. They're just cogs of the unions. I personally think the problem is that education has taken a back seat to the athletics while some big wigs get filthy rich. But my heart doesn't bleed for these players who are basically trying out for the NFL and getting free benefits in the meantime.

I believe that under the NLRA, they can negotiate wages, hours, and working conditions. But what about non-scholarship athletes? Not involved?

I think if this comes to pass - and it's a long way from it right now - the schools would have a hard time imposing a limit on outside income from endorsements, autograph signings, and so on.

Better to just exit to Division III and tell the scholarship athletes to go fuck off.

Other than "pay me"

That's putting the nuts in charge of the Asylum. If they have safety concerns, don't play. Dozens of issues is a Pandora's box.
I'll be amazed if the NCAA doesn't suspend all college sports until the ruling is overturned. Universities will lose trillions of dollars. Football, baseball, basketball, soccer, golf. Students getting half of all those revenues. Tuition will have to be doubled.

Have you seen the NCAA rules restricting what a college player can be compensated for and who he can talk to? Talk about nuts

Why should a coach receive a multimillion dollar shoe contract for making players wear shoes he get paid for? Colleges are making tens of millions of dollars (some make much more) off of these players. Pretending it is only an academic relationship is ridiculous.

I don't want to see players paid but I think they deserve a seat at the table in deciding the working conditions they exist under

I think the NCAA should be removed as the ruling organization for college sports. Their restrictions are insane. If a player can sell his autograph, let him sell it.

But those who claim that these kids are not compensated (the scholarship athletes) should look at the total package that they receive. The cost of attending Northwestern for one year is $58,950. A kid with a high school diploma making almost $60k a year? Not bad. Plus he leaves with a degree.

Do you guys really want to see tuition double to $400,000.00 for a four year degree? Well, I guess cons do, because then only the rich get educated, which is what THEY want. The ol' dumbing down of America. Another excuse to lower wages. That will put over half the universities out of business. Half as many football teams. Less competition. Half as many games on television means half as much paid out to NCAA.

I think the NCAA should be removed as the ruling organization for college sports. Their restrictions are insane. If a player can sell his autograph, let him sell it.

But those who claim that these kids are not compensated (the scholarship athletes) should look at the total package that they receive. The cost of attending Northwestern for one year is $58,950. A kid with a high school diploma making almost $60k a year? Not bad. Plus he leaves with a degree.

If you graduate with a law degree from Northwestern it is worth it. Law degrees from Northwestern are in demand

If you graduate having been the starting guard on the Northwestern basketball team it does not have the same employment opportunities as a starting guard at North Carolina or Duke

If you graduate with a law degree from Northwestern it is worth it. Law degrees from Northwestern are in demand

If you graduate having been the starting guard on the Northwestern basketball team it does not have the same employment opportunities as a starting guard at North Carolina or Duke

I'm sorry but what is stopping the northwestern player from staying 4 years and getting a degree?

If this was a baseball game we are at the bottom of the first inning of a game destined to go into extra innings.

Just figuring out the tax implications, and should this extend into public institutions, how these now "public employees" are treated under the many differing state laws will take years to shake out.

I'm sorry but what is stopping the northwestern player from staying 4 years and getting a degree?

We need to look at why many of these players are in college. Not to get a degree but to play ball. There are no minor leagues for football or basketball. You want to go to the next level...you play college

These players are there to learn football or basketball

We need to look at why many of these players are in college. Not to get a degree but to play ball. There are no minor leagues for football or basketball. You want to go to the next level...you play college

Then these players are risking their future on their ability to play ball. That is their choice. If they choose to ignore the opportunity offered, then they have no one to blame but themselves.

And it does not need to be a law degree. Get a degree in accounting, education, business mgmt, finance, or whatever. But if you do not get the degree, you have no backup if your athletic career doesn't pay.

The vast majority of college athletes are there to get an education. Yes, even the majority of football players are there for an education.

I believe that under the NLRA, they can negotiate wages, hours, and working conditions. But what about non-scholarship athletes? Not involved?

I think if this comes to pass - and it's a long way from it right now - the schools would have a hard time imposing a limit on outside income from endorsements, autograph signings, and so on.

Better to just exit to Division III and tell the scholarship athletes to go fuck off.

In a better world, this would be a matter from a student p.o.v. The unions for one should fuck off. But so should the chancellors of college athletics. The fact that you have illiterate twits playing college sports shows how far its slid. Something that was pure and about the students has been lost.

Do you guys really want to see tuition double to $400,000.00 for a four year degree? Well, I guess cons do, because then only the rich get educated, which is what THEY want. The ol' dumbing down of America. Another excuse to lower wages. That will put over half the universities out of business. Half as many football teams. Less competition. Half as many games on television means half as much paid out to NCAA.

Cons do? Excuse me, but Obama put three of the people in power who made this decision.

Something that was pure and about the students has been lost.

Go easy on the hyperbole. It hasn't "been lost."

It's not hyperbole. Something indeed has been lost. There used to be academic standards. And the athletics was about the students, not the coaches and athletic directors making millions for themselves....

Relax, Francis. There are still academic standards. Most college athletes are among the best students on campus and are there first and foremost to get an education. I would say most are much better at time management than their non-athletic peers because they have so much more to do.

Forum List

Back