Not Funny- That'll Cost You

Compost

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2015
He told a joke that was in somewhat poor taste. He was fined $42,000. I say you don't punish someone for being irreverent. What say you?

"...comedian explained that the young boy suffering from Treacher Collins Syndrome became somewhat famous around Canada because he was dying. He sang for the pope in 2006 and later released an album. Each event, Ward said, received front-page coverage. Several years later, the boy hadn’t died and was writing a book.

And the joke became, ‘Why isn’t he dead yet?’ Like, he was supposed to die.."

continued here
Canadian Comedian Fined $42,000 for Tasteless Joke

Damn, their masters are brutal. It would happen here too if we let liberals have their way
Polticical correctness will usher in the end of Freedom of speech as it has in Canada who didn't have that safeguard in their constitution. People lose their jobs and any chance for a livelyhood just for making a comment some liberal wusses don't like. Shame on companies who panic over the pressure and relent to the PC police.

It's time counter lawsuits are filed against companies who bow to the pressure of these radicals.

Polticical correctness will usher in the end of Freedom of speech as it has in Canada who didn't have that safeguard in their constitution. People lose their jobs and any chance for a livelyhood just for making a comment some liberal wusses don't like. Shame on companies who panic over the pressure and relent to the PC police.

It's time counter lawsuits are filed against companies who bow to the pressure of these radicals.

Yup... I can see your argument now. "Yer Honor, I'm suing Target because they don't hate them Ka-weers and Homos as much as me and Jesus do!"

Damn, their masters are brutal. It would happen here too if we let liberals have their way

"Panic" is the best way to put it. In many cases they receive very little attention, but the slightest mention of their "controversy" puts them in panic mode. That said, that is within their rights. It may be stupid but a private entity can fire whoever they want for whatever they want. A lawsuit would be a waste of time.

No joke should be off limits no matter how "tasteless".
I agree. If one person isn't going to be fined for the filth that they decide to spew, why should another be fined for whatever it is that they choose to say?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Washing your hands of whoever it is that you can't stand in my opinion should speak loud enough volumes because that right there is how a person really takes a financial hit if there is going to be one at all at the end of the day.

Yup... I can see your argument now. "Yer Honor, I'm suing Target because they don't hate them Ka-weers and Homos as much as me and Jesus do!"
What do you call Muhammed and allah? They truly hate homos.
Or are you afraid to say?

"Panic" is the best way to put it. In many cases they receive very little attention, but the slightest mention of their "controversy" puts them in panic mode. That said, that is within their rights. It may be stupid but a private entity can fire whoever they want for whatever they want. A lawsuit would be a waste of time.
It's an unalienable right and protected by the Bill of Rights. If the government supports that then companies shouldnt be boycotted since they can't fire somebody for exercising their right. The public will have to hold the company blameless.

Last edited:
It's an unalienable right and protected by the Bill of Rights. If the government supports that then companies shouldnt be boycotted since they can't fire somebody for exercising their right. The public will have to hold the company blameless.

So by your logic, then, you can walk up to your boss and scream, "Your mother is a whore', and that should be protected by the first Amendment?

I can't see any business being able to operate like that.

clearly companies have to fire racists and homophobes because they create a hostile work environment. Period. Has nothing to do with the bill of rights.

the funny thing is, we won't have free speech for much longer.

it's already under full assault in NY and on college campus

Colleges are private institution. It's not a free speech issue.

Just like I can't tell my boss he's a douchebag. Not a free speech issue.

Okay, let's step back and look at this case sensibly. This unfunny comedian did a bit where he said that a sick child was faking being sick for the money. This would be considered libel and slander in the US. In Canada, it falls under the Human Rights Commission that protects minorities and disabled from abuse.

the funny thing is, we won't have free speech for much longer.

it's already under full assault in NY and on college campus

Colleges are private institution. It's not a free speech issue.

Just like I can't tell my boss he's a douchebag. Not a free speech issue.

Okay, let's step back and look at this case sensibly. This unfunny comedian did a bit where he said that a sick child was faking being sick for the money. This would be considered libel and slander in the US. In Canada, it falls under the Human Rights Commission that protects minorities and disabled from abuse.
jokes aren't abuse.

colleges accept public funds, many are fun by the states, so it's a valid issue

NY wants to fine people for not using the pronoun that another demands they use.

aside from that, they guys a dick

jokes aren't abuse.

No, it really isn't. You have to abide by a code of conduct for the privilage of attending. so not so much.

NY wants to fine people for not using the pronoun that another demands they use.

Yes, if you consistantly insult a trans person by referring to them by the wrong pronoun, that's an insult. Not seeing a problem here.

jokes aren't abuse.

No, it really isn't. You have to abide by a code of conduct for the privilage of attending. so not so much.

Yes, if you consistantly insult a trans person by referring to them by the wrong pronoun, that's an insult. Not seeing a problem here.
insulting people is part of free speech, yaknow, the First Amendment.

Using the force of government to force someone to speak a way they wouldn't is tyranny.

Forum List

Back