NRA To African Americans: You’ll Need Guns To Protect Yourselves From The Government

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Igor Volsky

The National Rifle Association (NRA) is increasing its outreach to African Americans with a new campaign that links the Civil Rights struggle and nonviolent resistance to gun ownership, arguing that blacks need firearms to protect themselves from the government. The video is part of an effort by the gun lobby to grow the organization’s appeal beyond a mostly white, middle-class membership and attribute high rates of gun violence in some African American communities to “culture” rather than the prevalence of guns.

“It’s not a gun problem, it’s not even a violence problem. It’s a culture problem, it’s a poverty problem, it’s a history problem,” YouTube star Colion Noir says in a video posted on the gun lobby’s YouTube channel on Friday:

No one wants to fight for their protection, they want the government to do it. The same government who at one point hosed us down with water, attacked us with dogs, wouldn’t allow us to eat at their restaurants and told us we couldn’t own guns. [...] The only person responsible for your safety is you. Cops can’t always be there. Obama definitely can’t be there. Guy telling me to get rid of my guns when I need them the most, isn’t my friend, isn’t looking out for my best interests and doesn’t speak for me or the community that I’m part of.​

Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time gun advocates have sought to make inroads in African American communities. Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh equated the fight for African American civil rights with opposition to gun safety and suggested that the movement could have better protected itself from segregationists had it been armed.

More: NRA To African Americans: You'll Need Guns To Protect Yourselves From The Government

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZDjp66NdiNY]Coming Soon to NRA News: Colion Noir - YouTube[/ame]

Why would African Americans need more guns to protect themselves from the government? I understand the fearmongering to increase in gun sales for the firearms industry, but I'm not sure I follow the rest of the agenda.

This guy seems like the allen west of the NRA for them to pull the "see! See! We're not racist! Look, a black guy!"

Forum List

Back