Nuclear Force Vulnerability

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
As far as I understand, the bulk of the nuclear force is concentrated in warheads mounted on radio-controlled missiles. Consequently, jamming radio control will completely paralyze nuclear forces. It is possible that these are pure bluffs already now, and they have no real potential.

In my opinion, the biggest deterrent is the nuclear capability of the US submarine fleet. Theoretically, our biggest enemies (and allies) know where all our land based missile silos are. But the subs are moving, and very difficult to locate.

And I assure you, those missiles are not radio controlled.

In my opinion, the biggest deterrent is the nuclear capability of the US submarine fleet. Theoretically, our biggest enemies (and allies) know where all our land based missile silos are. But the subs are moving, and very difficult to locate.

There's not even any electronics. They use a kind of clockwork computer to arm and detonate a nuclear warhead. Much safer and dependable.

• Banned

Thus, the nuclear power of a state should be assessed not by the number of warheads, but by means of delivery, and the most powerful form of delivery is a submarine, right?

As far as I understand, the bulk of the nuclear force is concentrated in warheads mounted on radio-controlled missiles. Consequently, jamming radio control will completely paralyze nuclear forces. It is possible that these are pure bluffs already now, and they have no real potential.
While i cant say exactly how they guide nukes, it isnt radio controlled. I can however speculate that they are likely controlled in several ways, allowing for multiple options in case one method fails. They probably have predetermined flights programmed into them, and they are most certainly GPS enabled, not to mention some other future shit we dont even know about.

Thus, the nuclear power of a state should be assessed not by the number of warheads, but by means of delivery, and the most powerful form of delivery is a submarine, right?
Yes, when you park a Trident sub of the coast of a nation, its pretty much impossible to stop the nukes from hitting their targets. Most countries wouldnt even have time to respond, and those that do will have a very limited response before their nation blows up. Having nuclear weapons fueled up and ready to go on a moments notice is extremely expensive. Even most of the US's nukes arent sitting on a platform waiting to be launched.

• Banned
While i cant say exactly how they guide nukes, it isnt radio controlled. I can however speculate that they are likely controlled in several ways, allowing for multiple options in case one method fails. They probably have predetermined flights programmed into them, and they are most certainly GPS enabled, not to mention some other future shit we dont even know about.
What makes you think that this is not a radio? Waves are used there.

What makes you think that this is not a radio? Waves are used there.
As I said above nukes use mechanical computers made up of tiny cogs and gears to operate. They are therefore immune to any electronic countermeasures.

Yes, when you park a Trident sub of the coast of a nation, its pretty much impossible to stop the nukes from hitting their targets. Most countries wouldnt even have time to respond, and those that do will have a very limited response before their nation blows up. Having nuclear weapons fueled up and ready to go on a moments notice is extremely expensive. Even most of the US's nukes arent sitting on a platform waiting to be launched.

According to Izvestia, there are only 10 nuclear ballistic submarines in the Russian Federation, and the total number of nuclear submarines is 40

(ru lang)

What is the alignment in the USA?

As I said above nukes use mechanical computers made up of tiny cogs and gears to operate. They are therefore immune to any electronic countermeasures.
I think this only applies to the ballistic missile class. If the missile is guided, it must use waves for communication.

Although even ballistic missiles pushed on the trajectory by radio.

In fact, it looks like a confusion. The notion of a ballistic projectile does have to mean absense radio control during the orbital phase only. There can be switched on control at the time of the attack.
1)The carrier rocket launches the projectile into orbit,
2) then it flies independently,
3)but on approach it can again adjust the flight by radio.

I think this only applies to the ballistic missile class. If the missile is guided, it must use waves for communication.
No that would give away the location of the sub, they like to remain hidden for obvious reasons. Once it's launched a nuclear missile is on it's own. Think about the environment of a nuclear war. A nuclear detonation produces an EM pulse that fries electronics for a considerable distance. The first detonations would destroy any missiles in flight. Radio is useless in a nuclear war.

No that would give away the location of the sub, they like to remain hidden for obvious reasons. Once it's launched a nuclear missile is on it's own. Think about the environment of a nuclear war. A nuclear detonation produces an EM pulse that fries electronics for a considerable distance. The first detonations would destroy any missiles in flight. Radio is useless in a nuclear war.
Then what is the point in the concept of a ballistic projectile as a separate class of projectiles?

As far as I understand, they distinguish 2 classes of missiles: ballistic and cruise. I don't know by what criteria they are divided, but only ballistic missiles fall under UN sanctions.

In general, there is confusion, but canonically cruise missiles are guided missiles. Therefore, we can talk about 2 main types of missiles: a)ballistic and b)guided cruise missiles.
It will be close to reality.

As far as I understand, they distinguish 2 classes of missiles: ballistic and cruise. I don't know by what criteria they are divided, but only ballistic missiles fall under UN sanctions.
No modern nuclear missile whatever the type is vulnerable to electronic countermeasures. The supposed weakness you think you have found was solved 40-50 years ago. They can all take hard EM pulses without malfunction.

Forum List

Back