Nurse refuses to give CPR and 87 year-old-lady dies

TheGreatGatsby

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2012
California
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99pBboTrIhk]Refusing To Help - Nurse Doesn't Give CPR; Elderly Woman Dies - 911 Operator Pleads For Help - YouTube[/ame]

That doesn't surprise me, most Doctors and Nurses these days don't seem concerned about you until your funeral is being planned.

This case is old and closed. Should I spoil?

The nurse wasn't a nurse. She was an administrator. There was an investigation. The nursing board couldn't take her license because she wasn't a nurse although they would have had she been a nurse. The police opened a criminal investigation and closed it without charges and the family is glad the old girl is dead.

The nurse wasn't a nurse. She was an administrator. There was an investigation. The nursing board couldn't take her license because she wasn't a nurse although they would have had she been a nurse. The police opened a criminal investigation and closed it without charges and the family is glad the old girl is dead.

Ya anyone over the the age of 70 is shit out of luck when it comes to medical care. My mom is 74 and needs a new liver (never drank a drop of alcohol in her life) and my sister and I took her everywhere and called all over the country and no doctor would give her a liver transplant.

She's living on borrowed time and there isn't anything we can do other than kill someone, steal their liver and put it in my mom ourselves.

Which of course we aren't going to do. :eusa_shhh:

Ya anyone over the the age of 70 is shit out of luck when it comes to medical care. My mom is 74 and needs a new liver (never drank a drop of alcohol in her life) and my sister and I took her everywhere and called all over the country and no doctor would give her a liver transplant.

She's living on borrowed time and there isn't anything we can do other than kill someone, steal their liver and put it in my mom ourselves.

Have you guys thought about going to Brazil or India? its much easier to get a transplant in one of those places.

Her family says that she purposely choose a facility to live in that didn't have a medical staff because she didn't want to be kept alive artificially.

I think the family is more believable than the hysterical world of fauxraged nutters.

My husband was 70 when he died and he was on the liver transplant list at Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles. There is no age limitation. There is a health limitation. Someone who is generally unhealthy will not get on the list. Of course that was prior to obamacare.

Her family says that she purposely choose a facility to live in that didn't have a medical staff because she didn't want to be kept alive artificially.

I think the family is more believable than the hysterical world of fauxraged nutters.

CPR is not keeping someone alive artificially. It is to maintain a person until emergency personnel get there.

We have no idea what the circumstances of this woman's death are. But one could make the argument that applying a tourniquet to a person bleeding to death is keeping them alive artificially.

When the "nurse" was told by the 911 operator to administer CPR, the woman was still breathing, she was just not breathing enough to supply oxygen to the brain.

This was just a form of legalized murder. The family wanted to be rid of a burden and they got that opportunity.

CPR is not keeping someone alive artificially. It is to maintain a person until emergency personnel get there.

We have no idea what the circumstances of this woman's death are. But one could make the argument that applying a tourniquet to a person bleeding to death is keeping them alive artificially.

When the "nurse" was told by the 911 operator to administer CPR, the woman was still breathing, she was just not breathing enough to supply oxygen to the brain.

This was just a form of legalized murder. The family wanted to be rid of a burden and they got that opportunity.
You know, if they read this they can sue you. That would be awesome.

If you are 87 and go into cardiac arrest, chances are you aren't going to be mowing the grass the next day. This woman apparently wanted to end her life naturally. Who are you to force her otherwise?

Ravi; you're posting a bunch of stuff with no links. Do I respect DNRs, yes. But there are links upon this and she wasn't arguing a DNR. She was stating that company policy prohibited her from issuing CPR; so I'm pretty sure you're talking out of your ass.

As for Katz's point. Was she an admin and not a nurse? I don't know. Post a link. Either way, she refused to give CPR. That is inhumane.

This is old news. A thread was already made about this.

In the event of a health emergency at this independent living community our practice is to immediately call emergency medical personnel for assistance and to wait with the individual needing attention until such personnel arrives," Toomer said in a written statement. "That is the protocol we followed."
Toomer offered condolences to the woman's family and said a "thorough internal review" of the incident would be conducted.
He told KGET-TV that residents of the home's independent living community are informed of the policy and agree to it when they move in. He said the policy does not apply at the adjacent assisted living and skilled nursing facilities.

California woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR | Fox News

Posted: 03/07/2013
Last Updated: 39 days ago

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - No criminal charges will be filed after a care worker's attention-grabbing refusal to perform CPR on a resident of a Central California independent-living facility, police said.

The Bakersfield Police Department said Wednesday it has closed its investigation into the death of Lorainne Bayless, 87, who died Feb. 26 at Glenwood Gardens while a nurse there refused a 911 dispatcher's pleas to administer CPR.

Nonetheless, Bayless' family said it was her desire to forgo resuscitation efforts and that she died of natural causes, which her family said was her "greatest wish." The family said it has no intentions of suing the company or seeking punishment for its workers.

"They wish no hardship on those who were witnesses," said Sonja Eddings Brown, a spokeswoman for the family. "It is natural for there to be an appropriate investigation, and if Lorraine's death helps other families to learn from it or prepare for the future, then not only was her life a great blessing, but in some small way her passing too."

23ABC News - Cops: No charges after home's refusal to give CPR - Bakersfield News, Bakersfield, California News & Bakersfield News Local Headlines - KERO TurnTo23

Posted: 03/06/2013
Last Updated: 40 days ago

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - After refusing to speak to the media, the Bayless Family released this statement about their mother's death at Glenwood Gardens:

Our mother and grandmother was a remarkable and intelligent woman who was blessed to have a great life of 87 years. It is the wish of our family to honor and celebrate her life at this personal time. Like so many Seniors, it was our mother’s wish to live independently. She was fully-aware that Glenwood Gardens did not offer trained medical staff. Even so, she personally-selected the senior living community, and our family has come to know the staff and been very pleased with Glenwood Gardens as her home. It was our beloved mother and grandmother’s wish to die naturally and without any kind of life-prolonging intervention. Our family respects the right of all people to make their own life choices in such cases.

We regret that this private and most personal time has been escalated by the media. Caregivers, nurses and other medical professionals have very difficult waters to tread in the legal and medical landscape of our country today. We understand that the 911 tape of this event has caused concern, but our family knows that mom had full knowledge of the limitations of Glenwood Gardens, and is at peace. We also have no desire, nor is it the nature of our family, to seek legal recourse or try to profit from what is a lesson we can all learn from.

We wish to focus on our family at this time, and this will be our final comment on this personal matter.
-The Bayless Family

23ABC News - STATEMENT: Family of Lorraine Bayless, who was refused CPR and died at Glenwood Gardens - Bakersfield News, Bakersfield, California News & Bakersfield News Local Headlines - KERO TurnTo23

That's all well and fine. But if you listen to the 911 call; it's pretty clear that the lady calling was unaware of all of that and that she flatly denied to give CPR due to a company policy which prohibited it. I do have an issue with that.

One thing certain. Make sure you know exactly what facilities offer and what they don't or aa broken leg will get you a death sentence.

In the event of a health emergency at this independent living community our practice is to immediately call emergency medical personnel for assistance and to wait with the individual needing attention until such personnel arrives," Toomer said in a written statement. "That is the protocol we followed."
Toomer offered condolences to the woman's family and said a "thorough internal review" of the incident would be conducted.
He told KGET-TV that residents of the home's independent living community are informed of the policy and agree to it when they move in. He said the policy does not apply at the adjacent assisted living and skilled nursing facilities.

Thanks, Ma. People are still allowed to choose to die with dignity and I for one applaud that.

Thanks, Ma. People are still allowed to choose to die with dignity and I for one applaud that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV6fDJi_6ns]House On Dying With Dignity - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back