Nurse refuses to give CPR and 87 year-old-lady dies

One thing certain. Make sure you know exactly what facilities offer and what they don't or aa broken leg will get you a death sentence.

An independent living community is like senior apartments and will not accept a resident who is recovering from a broken leg. They have no medical personal on staff.

That's all well and fine. But if you listen to the 911 call; it's pretty clear that the lady calling was unaware of all of that and that she flatly denied to give CPR due to a company policy which prohibited it. I do have an issue with that.

Then you don't understand the issue, or if you read my posts, you would understand the difference.

That's all well and fine. But if you listen to the 911 call; it's pretty clear that the lady calling was unaware of all of that and that she flatly denied to give CPR due to a company policy which prohibited it. I do have an issue with that.

Then you don't understand the issue, or if you read my posts, you would understand the difference.

from what i understood

she had a legal do not resuscitate order

case closed her wishes had been granted

from what i understood

Actually they never got to the issue of a legal do not resuscitate order. The nurse or whoever it was relied entirely on company policy. When 911 was called Bayliss did not need resuscitation. She was breathing on her own. Just not enough and needed CPR to maintain her blood oxygen level until an EMT got there. Logically if Bayliss had stopped breathing and there was a do not resuscitate order why was 911 called in the first place?

The company has since reviewed their policy and made significant changes so this doesn't happen again. The policy was, in case of emergency call 911 and take no further action. This incident wirked out but if it had been something else, like severe bleeding company policy would mandate watching someone bleed out.

from what i understood

Actually they never got to the issue of a legal do not resuscitate order. The nurse or whoever it was relied entirely on company policy. When 911 was called Bayliss did not need resuscitation. She was breathing on her own. Just not enough and needed CPR to maintain her blood oxygen level until an EMT got there. Logically if Bayliss had stopped breathing and there was a do not resuscitate order why was 911 called in the first place?

The company has since reviewed their policy and made significant changes so this doesn't happen again. The policy was, in case of emergency call 911 and take no further action. This incident wirked out but if it had been something else, like severe bleeding company policy would mandate watching someone bleed out.

a do not resuscitate order is set up with the facility prior to an incident

as a standing order

"company policy" on a DNR order is based off of the advanced medical directives by

federal law passed in 1991

the call 9-1-1 and take no further action is pretty much the standard procedure

Forum List

Back