NY case puts N-word use among blacks on trial

Nova78

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado
NY case puts N-word use among blacks on trial | US National Headlines | Comcast

In a case that gave a legal airing to the debate over use of the N-word among blacks, a federal jury has rejected a black manager's argument that it was a term of love and endearment when he aimed it at black employee.

Jurors awarded $30,000 in punitive damages Tuesday after finding last week that the manager's four-minute rant was hostile and discriminatory, and awarding $250,000 in compensatory damages.

The case against Rob Carmona and the employment agency he founded, STRIVE East Harlem, hinged on the what some see as a complex double standard surrounding the word: It's a degrading slur when uttered by whites but can be used at times with impunity among blacks.But 38-year-old Brandi Johnson told jurors that being black didn't make it any less hurtful when Carmona repeatedly targeted her with the slur during a March 2012 tirade about inappropriate workplace attire and unprofessional behavior.

About time ..............

For the second time this is stupid. I don't care if the black dude was saying "My ******". Who the hell cares if someones fragile sensibilities are shattered?

While I think anyone should be able to say anything to anybody I am glad to see someone exhibit sense in refuting the double standard that some people can use words that other people cant.

Forum List

Back