Obama absolutely determined to drive up the cost of energy. Freezes new coal leases on federal land

I heard the story. Part of the reason was that the Federal Government was not getting the expected royalties from the miners; sometimes as low as 2% (Regular and customary is 15%).

Coal leasing generated about $1.2 billion for the government in 2014, but a Government Accountability Office report the previous year suggested lease and royalty rates significantly lowballed coal's market value.

Rest of the story at US News and World Report.

Why not?
From some research I have seen and heard, Germany is quite well on it's way to be using the majority of its energry from renewable energy.

It is about time that this country looks and starts aggressively using renewable energy sources.
Coal and oil have had a strangle hold on this country for to long.

Is renewable energy mature and sustainable enough to replace coal and oil without compromising the economy?

Of course you haven't, faux news doesn't report such things.

Have you ever been to an environmentally unstable area , because of coal or oil.
Go look for yourself.
They leave a catastrophe and leave without responsibility or little responsibility.

It is about time that this country looks and starts aggressively using renewable energy sources.

Hahahaha

This is about MONEY in the end. Coal from federal lands currently owe the government about 13 cents on the dollar for royalties. They want to increase that dramatically but need a reason. Can you think of a reason? I can.......GOOBER WARMING

Raising the fees won't stop GOOBER WARMING but it will fatten the government's bank account.

Never heard of such a thing. What is an "environmentally unstable area?"

Maybe you need to look at the stability of your post about coal.Like the timetable!

Translation: coal and oil are cheap, potent, dependable and convenient sources of energy as opposed to "renewables" which are weak, expensive, intermittent and inconvenient.

Coal is a renewable energy source, plants are busy renewing coal deposits as we speak.

Why not?
From some research I have seen and heard, Germany is quite well on it's way to be using the majority of its energry from renewable energy.

Is renewable energy mature and sustainable enough to replace coal and oil without compromising the economy?

In the meantime...
Average electricity prices for companies have jumped 60% over the past five years because of costs passed along as part of government subsidies of renewable energy producers. Prices are now more than double those in the U.S.
German industry is going to gradually lose its competitiveness if this course isn't reversed soon," said Kurt Bock, chief executive of
BASF SE, the world's largest chemical maker.
One government estimate projects the Energiewende by 2040 to cost up to €1 trillion, or about $1.4 trillion, or almost half Germany's GDP and nearly as much as the country spent on the reunification of East and West Germany.

Germany's Expensive Gamble on Renewable Energy

Why not?

And of course being up on all things global warming... consider this fact...
Wind Power Found to Affect Local Climate

Wind farms can alter the nearby rainfall and temperature, suggesting a need for more comprehensive studies of future energy systems
Measuring impact
There are two main ways of estimating the climate impact of wind turbines. One is to compare the real climate of a region before and after wind farms are installed there. This approach is limited by the availability of observations – modern wind farms are a relatively new phenomenon so there is not much data to compare the climate after wind farms are installed with the years before. Ruling out other reasons for the climate changes we observe is also a challenge.
Using this observational approach, researchers have found that the climate around a large wind farm in Texas was affected by the presence of the turbines. Taking the ground temperatures measured by satellites, they detected a warming of 0.5°C at night in the region directly under the farm. This warming effect was local and small – the nighttime warming did not extend beyond the farm’s immediate neighborhood.

But not many people live right among the wind turbines. To look at smaller effects far from the wind farms, another approach is to simulate the earth’s climate with computer models. Using climate history data, projections are made that account for motion, thermodynamics, chemistry and radiation in the atmosphere, land and sea. Years of simulations are run with and without wind farms installed.
Wind Power Found to Affect Local Climate

But as wind turbines proliferate, researchers at the University of Kansas are looking at how these forests of turbines affect the wind itself.
What happens to the wind when a larger number of wind turbines removes more and more of the energy of atmospheric motion?
Atmospheric science professors Nate Brunsell and David Mechem in KU’s Department of Geography are co-authors of a new study just published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences by an international research group that evaluated the effects of large wind farms on atmospheric flow and its implications for how much renewable energy the turbines can generate.

“Wind turbines generate electricity by removing energy from the wind, so a larger number of wind turbines should result in a slowdown of the winds in the lower atmosphere,” Mechem said.
The team found that a slowdown effect triggered by wind turbines is substantial for large wind farms and results in proportionally less renewable energy generated for each turbine versus the energy that would be generated from an isolated wind turbine. While the researchers stress that no current or planned wind farm approaches the size or concentration that would cause the slowdown effect, their results suggest the phenomenon tied to large wind farms needs to be accounted for in future planning of wind energy.
As wind-turbine farms expand, research shows they could offer diminishing returns | The University of Kansas

"Obama absolutely determined to drive up the cost of energy. Freezes new coal leases on federal land"

Most conservatives are absolutely determined to contrive and propagate ridiculous lies, this thread's premise is one of many examples.

"Obama absolutely determined to drive up the cost of energy. Freezes new coal leases on federal land"

Most conservatives are absolutely determined to contrive and propagate ridiculous lies, this thread's premise is one of many examples.

So you are saying halting new coal leases on federal lands will limit coal production or not?

mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0US2WB

Want to determine the social impact of coal use on our nation and take about 3 years to do so.

Just more proof that too much power resides at the top. Legislation desperately needs to be drafted to reign in the power of future presidents.

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about as energy prices have fallen considerably during Obama's term in office.

Ahhhhhh, the typical refrain from the left, lol.

Energy is a commodity, and the less it is required, the lower the price goes, hehehehe.

You know this, or why you even trying to carry on an educated conversation? And why has the demand dropped? Because commodities are used MORE when economies are running strong.

TRANSLATION---------> Kinda shoots in the foot how well the economy of this country and the world are doing, now doesn't it! I know, I know, the facts are against YOUR narrative, but so is almost everything else you people say, so why should this statement of yours, be any different than the rest of your fantasy land goobldy-gook lol!

Demand may have dropped in the immediate aftermath of the Bush Great Recession, but it's certainly been rising as the economy has improved under Obama.

Now, do I have to school you as to other reasons why prices can and do go down? Demand is not the only factor. There's also SUPPLY. Both oil production and natural gas production are up. And it's the increased production of natural gas which is the single biggest reason why dirty, heavy coal, has fallen out of favor.

Want to determine the social impact of coal use on our nation and take about 3 years to do so.

Just more proof that too much power resides at the top. Legislation desperately needs to be drafted to reign in the power of future presidents.

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about as energy prices have fallen considerably during Obama's term in office.

Energy is a commodity, and the less it is required, the lower the price goes, hehehehe.

You know this, or why you even trying to carry on an educated conversation? And why has the demand dropped? Because commodities are used MORE when economies are running strong.

TRANSLATION---------> Kinda shoots in the foot how well the economy of this country and the world are doing, now doesn't it! I know, I know, the facts are against YOUR narrative, but so is almost everything else you people say, so why should this statement of yours, be any different than the rest of your fantasy land goobldy-gook lol!

Demand may have dropped in the immediate aftermath of the Bush Great Recession, but it's certainly been rising as the economy has improved under Obama.

Now, do I have to school you as to other reasons why prices can and do go down? Demand is not the only factor. There's also SUPPLY. Both oil production and natural gas production are up. And it's the increased production of natural gas which is the single biggest reason why dirty, heavy coal, has fallen out of favor.

Didn't answer this question:
"Are you saying halting new coal leases on federal lands will limit coal production or not?"
Not too hard to answer as any grade school kid would say.."geez if there is less coal leases on Federal lands that would mean less potential production"..Duh!

Well Mustang, it appears both of us are correct! Kudos for bi-partisanship-) I purposely took the report from a left leaning source so as I didn't have to hear anyone claim that "so-and-so" is a right wing site.

The point is-----> If what virtually all the sites are saying about the supply rising on commodities, and the demand shrinking; it proves my point that the world economies are not good. And who/whom has lead the way? Well since the demand has fallen because lack of economic expansion since Obama was in office, it sure as hell wasn't Bush-)

What's behind the falling prices of oil, gold and copper

With the economies of the world catching a cold, I wonder how that will effect our economic numbers, affected negatively by our drop in exports?

My, my! This election is getting more interesting by the minute-)

This all has been proposed over the past 30 plus years.
If Congress wasn't dictated to by the fossil fuel industry this would all be water under the bridge.
How long until this country steps into the 21st Century like some of the European countries do.

Why not?

In the meantime...
Average electricity prices for companies have jumped 60% over the past five years because of costs passed along as part of government subsidies of renewable energy producers. Prices are now more than double those in the U.S.
German industry is going to gradually lose its competitiveness if this course isn't reversed soon," said Kurt Bock, chief executive of
One government estimate projects the Energiewende by 2040 to cost up to €1 trillion, or about $1.4 trillion, or almost half Germany's GDP and nearly as much as the country spent on the reunification of East and West Germany.

This all has been proposed over the past 30 plus years.
If Congress wasn't dictated to by the fossil fuel industry this would all be water under the bridge.
How long until this country steps into the 21st Century like some of the European countries do.

Why not?

In the meantime...

Again proof from the world of Science... Wind Turbines ARE affecting the climate!

Wind farms will cause more environmental impact than previously thought
I
n two papers — published today in the journals Environmental Research Letters and Joule — Harvard University researchers find that the transition to wind or solar power in the U.S. would require five to 20 times more land than previously thought, and, if such large-scale wind farms were built, would warm average surface temperatures over the continental U.S. by 0.24 degrees Celsius.

“Wind beats coal by any environmental measure, but that doesn’t mean that its impacts are negligible,” said David Keith, the Gordon McKay Professor of Applied Physics at the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) and senior author of the papers. “We must quickly transition away from fossil fuels to stop carbon emissions. In doing so, we must make choices between various low-carbon technologies, all of which have some social and environmental impacts.”

In previous research, Keith and co-authors modeled the generating capacity of large-scale wind farms and concluded that real-world wind power generation had been
overestimated because they neglected to accurately account for the interactions between turbines and the atmosphere.
Large-scale wind power has its down side

Forum List

Back