Obama again warns of coming 'pain'

I work for a division of NASA, and with a company I wont name however, we were told we are only funded till March 31st and no one is sure what will happen after that. I support the 45th Space Wing on a day to day basis and General Cotton tells me there will be cuts.

So there you have it folks. You wanted budget cuts, were gonna get em. I hope the right wing asshats are happy after spending trillions in Iraq and yet playing fiscal games at home.

Me, ill survive, I have a double EE degree from GT. Ill go work for India if I have to, if my home land wont pay me for my work, some other nation in need of engineers may. Their space program is in dire need of young men like me.

That's MR. right wing asshat to you, bub.

These aren't budget cuts they are speed bumps in our spending growth. Besides that we don't even have a budget.

break it down how ever you like but a lot of proud American outfits like NASA and its supporting cast will have to do less with less. So, don't get butthurt when other nations jump on this and beat us into space, like China.

We are scheduled to have a heavy lift vehicle under operation by 2017, the mission is unconfirmed but its either going to be a mission to the moon (manned) or Mars. With these budget setbacks this wont happen and China will beat us there. You heard it here first.

Just a heads up but this is really a bad idea.

Last edited:
These aren't budget cuts they are speed bumps in our spending growth. Besides that we don't even have a budget.

break it down how ever you like but a lot of proud American outfits like NASA and its supporting cast will have to do less with less. So, don't get butthurt when other nations jump on this and beat us into space, like China.

We are scheduled to have a heavy life vehicle under operation by 2017, the mission is unconfirmed but its either going to be a mission to the moon (manned) or Mars. With these budget setbacks this wont happen and China will beat us there. You heard it here first.

We already have private enterprises going into space here without doinf it on the Americans dime. In fact one billionare already has plans to send a couple to orbit mars.
The glory days of NASA are long gone

Gramps, I support Space X dude! We have a launch tomorrow!!!! I resupply to the ISS! They cant do anything with out USAF and NASA infrastructure. Like Radar, weather, telemetry, COMMs, the list is very, very long.

Spaceflight Now | Dragon Mission Report | Mission Status Center

Take it from a industry insider, these cuts will cripple the private end of things. Dont forget KSC is a govt facility and Space X is allowed to use these assets.

Im trying to tell you, this is all bad news for a space program trying to find its way into a new horizon. But this is what the GOP wants.

Last edited:
Gramps, I support Space X dude! We have a launch tomorrow!!!! I resupply to the ISS! They cant do anything with out USAF and NASA infrastructure. Like Radar, weather, telemetry, COMMs, the list is very, very long.

Take it from a industry insider, these cuts will cripple the private end of things. Dont forget KSC is a govt facility and Space X is allowed to use these assets.

Im trying to tell you, this is all bad news for a space program trying to find its way into a new horizon. But this is what the GOP wants.

Mission to Mars in 2018: Who Should Go? | Married Couple Wanted for Mars Flight | Space.com

I mission to Mars would more than likely mean a temporary base on the moon. So before we even discuss Mars, we have to deal with a mission to the Moon, unlike anything in mankind's history.

These fucking Republicans dont seem to understand we can do this but we need funding. A lot more funding. If you gave NASA the same amount of money spent in Iraq, we could do this 4 times over. Just to give you some perspective.

Most American know Obama is a lying scumbag.

If you have to cut your spending, well, in fact, reduces next years increase by 2% for your family or business, I'm sure you'd find sane, safe, responsible ways to do it that would not involve throwing your kids into the street

Obama: not Safe, not Sane

I mission to Mars would more than likely mean a temporary base on the moon. So before we even discuss Mars, we have to deal with a mission to the Moon, unlike anything in mankind's history.

These fucking Republicans dont seem to understand we can do this but we need funding. A lot more funding. If you gave NASA the same amount of money spent in Iraq, we could do this 4 times over. Just to give you some perspective.

Obama killed the Manned Space Program in 09.

Did you forget?

Mars will be its closest to earth in 2018. It's my understanding that a moon base is not necessary. And this mission is being PRIVATELY funded.

you are correct Gramps, a moon base is not needed. However, the moon would provide a perfect test bed for the Mars mission. See, the mission to Mars would require us sending unmanned modules for housing, farming, and a ride home. What would happen is a fuel source would have to be created on Mars and ready to be used before Humans even touched down on Mars. so you see, the moon would provide this test bed to work out the kinks. Once this unmanned way of gathering fuel for a ride home is complete we could safely attempt a Mars mission.

That private mission is a dream dude. And nothing wrong with that however, its a real bad idea. This private sector guy is the same one who flew to the ISS, a Govt/ world owned space craft. See, he needed that to even go into space. I suspect he would need similar govt support for a Mars Mission, I know he would need my radars, lol.

also, and this is just my space nerd opinion. The moon is ultra rich in rare metals, if we could find a way to get there and harvest fair amounts of these rare metals America would have a HUGE leg up against our world competitors in the forward movement of technology. As you know China has like 90% control over these same resources on Earth. But I dont know if NASA would ethically go there. This is one area we could punch China in the teeth and they could not hit back. Which is rare now a days.

Last edited:

We are scheduled to have a heavy lift vehicle under operation by 2017, the mission is unconfirmed but its either going to be a mission to the moon (manned) or Mars. With these budget setbacks this wont happen and China will beat us there. You heard it here first.

I worked with a govt agency in 2010 and we took serious hits with our budget due to the continuing resolution. The center that I worked with found the necessary cuts without releasing anyone.

These arent even cuts btw. Theyre projected numbers that are higher than the previous FY. They arent even baseline. The gnashing and wailing over nothing is disturbing.

Most American know Obama is a lying scumbag.

If you have to cut your spending, well, in fact, reduces next years increase by 2% for your family or business, I'm sure you'd find sane, safe, responsible ways to do it that would not involve throwing your kids into the street

Obama: not Safe, not Sane

Yep. They'll tell us to do without but when you even mention shrinking govt the screams and shrieks reach high decibel levels.

These arent even cuts btw. Theyre projected numbers that are higher than the previous FY. They arent even baseline. The gnashing and wailing over nothing is disturbing.

not true. Again, I work directly with the General of the 45th Space Wing. General Cotton will have to make a few hard decisions, including telling my company that certain funds will not be there. How hard is this to understand? Let me be clear. USAF resources will be cut, so on base services will not be available for the enlisted. On my end, people will loose their job. Such is life, Ill survive but im sure im about to see quite a few of my co workers hit the unemployment line for some time.

Just wait till we have a range accident like a launch failure. Heads will roll as billions go into many of these launches that are a direct link to our nation security.

Last edited:
we knew we were in for 4 more years of pain when the final election votes were tallied. So where is the talk of cutting foriegn aid? so where is the talk about eliminating inefficiencies in this huge beaurocratic monster we've created? and lets take a look at entitlements. ok welfare, housing and foodstamps. probably necessary. but what about all the other stuff. obamaphones, gas vouchers, entitlements going to illegals. why are we paying for illegals education? if you are here illegally your life shoud not be made easier, it should be made more difficult. we are so screwed up it is frightening

you are correct Gramps, a moon base is not needed. However, the moon would provide a perfect test bed for the Mars mission. See, the mission to Mars would require us sending unmanned modules for housing, farming, and a ride home. What would happen is a fuel source would have to be created on Mars and ready to be used before Humans even touched down on Mars. so you see, the moon would provide this test bed to work out the kinks. Once this unmanned way of gathering fuel for a ride home is complete we could safely attempt a Mars mission.

That private mission is a dream dude. And nothing wrong with that however, its a real bad idea. This private sector guy is the same one who flew to the ISS, a Govt/ world owned space craft. See, he needed that to even go into space. I suspect he would need similar govt support for a Mars Mission, I know he would need my radars, lol.

also, and this is just my space nerd opinion. The moon is ultra rich in rare metals, if we could find a way to get there and harvest fair amounts of these rare metals America would have a HUGE leg up against our world competitors in the forward movement of technology. As you know China has like 90% control over these same resources on Earth. But I dont know if NASA would ethically go there. This is one area we could punch China in the teeth and they could not hit back. Which is rare now a days.

Newt made that suggestion as well during the primaries and was sumarrily mocked for it.

Tell obama to cancel the 30 billion dollar check he wants to hand to afganistan gov. It is still on the table and hasn't been canceled yet. Cancel the 30 billion and just tell obama no.

Do you actually believe that a narcissist like Obama cares about what any of us think?

Newt made that suggestion as well during the primaries and was sumarrily mocked for it.

he was mocked because of the anti Government tone of the GOP. Then Newty goes and talks like hes ready to quadrupole NASA's resources. But in all seriousness, hes vision was a bit off base. Obama has done a great job of cutting the fat for the space program, and now its time to add lean muscle. Like I said, look out for 2017, thats when you Civi's will start to read about where our manned space program is going. 4

Gramps, stand by for a link. Below is the brand spanking new LCC (launch Control Center) at KSC. This is for the new NASA heavy lift rocket which is to be ready in 2017. This is also the old Apollo and Shuttle LCC as well.

385854_453392978063440_1723123989_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back