Obama climate plan calls for new fuel economy standards for heavy-duty vehicles post-

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Obama climate plan calls for new fuel economy standards for heavy-duty vehicles post-2018; cleaner fuels and investment in advanced fossil energy

25 June 2013
Among the transportation-related elements of US President Barack Obama’s new climate action plan, which he is outlining today in a speech at Georgetown University, is the development of new fuel economy standards for heavy-duty vehicles post-2018. In 2011, the Obama Administration finalized the first fuel economy standards for Model Year 2014-2018 for medium- and heavy-duty trucks, buses, and vans. (Earlier post.)

The plan as outlined also calls for further work on advanced biofuels, advanced batteries and fuel cell technologies in every transportation mode. In coming months, the plan notes, the Department of Transportation will work with other agencies to further explore strategies for integrating alternative fuel vessels into the US flag fleet.

The plan. President Obama’s plan, which sidesteps the need for Congressional involvement by relying on a wide variety of executive actions, has three main components:
1.Reducing greenhouse gas emissions in the US.
2.Preparing the US for the impacts of climate change.
3.Leading international efforts for GHG emission reductions and adaptation.

Green Car Congress: Obama climate plan calls for new fuel economy standards for heavy-duty vehicles post-2018; cleaner fuels and investment in advanced fossil energy

This is his entire plan there. ;) It is a good plan that keeps us a modern country and deals with the charge in climate.

Last edited:
  • Banned
My plan would be
-12 gw of wind per year for the next decade
-$500 dollar/mw tax reduction on all solar
-Cut the red tape on thermal. 20 gw by 2022.
-10 gw of wave by 2025
-another 10 gw of nuclear

I'd cut coal in half by 2025.

Next I'd invest big time into batteries research. I certainly would end bail-outs but I'd double the r@d and allow the private corps to get it to market. I want to see that 4-10 time batteries on the market fast.

Once this occurs it is over for the gas car!

I'd invest 150 billion dollars into levies and sea walls to protect our cities.
20 billion for the installing of car powering stations to replace the gas pump. ;)

I'd put a fuel standard of 45 miles/gallon. ;)

Last edited:
Similiar, but with more emphasis on Geothermal. Also would put some R and D money into more efficient solar cells. As the efficiency goes up, and weight comes down, the roofs of commercial and industrial installations become increasingly attractive for siting the solar. And that puts the generation of the power right at the point of use.

• Banned
I'd also work on strengthening the barriers around rivers. We have to make all of or cities hold up to 100-500year storms.

Time to build our infrastructure to be able to hold up! ;)

At the same time I'd invest into bridges, roads and energy infrastructure. It's time. :)

I'd also work on strengthening the barriers around rivers. We have to make all of or cities hold up to 100-500year storms.

At the same time I'd invest into bridges, roads and energy infrastructure. It's time. :)

Did you ever stop to consider that the reason the storms are happening (at a much greater frequency) is because of global climate change?

I mean...........................for fuck's sake..........................Canada is flooding and the oceans have risen about a foot over the past 10 years. Know what that means? In another 20 to 30 years, Florida is going to be underwater.

And yeah.......................your investments (bridges, roads and energy infrastructure) sound good, and could very well work.

Only problem is, you've gotta convince the GOP.

Last edited:

Did you ever stop to consider that the reason the storms are happening (at a much greater frequency) is because of global climate change?

I mean...........................for fuck's sake..........................Canada is flooding and the oceans have risen about a foot over the past 10 years. Know what that means? In another 20 to 30 years, Florida is going to be underwater.

And yeah.......................your investments (bridges, roads and energy infrastructure) sound good, and could very well work.

Actually the area of Canada that's flooding has had worse flooding before, some over a century ago.
Sun News : Climatic Armageddon?

90tu842gzq.jpg

Dave-types have declared certain economic doom for every single such change before. And they've been wrong, every single time. So why should anyone pay attention to Dave's sky-is-falling routine now?

Dave-types have declared certain economic doom for every single such change before. And they've been wrong, every single time. So why should anyone pay attention to Dave's sky-is-falling routine now?

Ummm...you seem to be more than a little confused. I'm not the one claiming we need to spend 14 TRILLION dollars or we're all gonna DIE!!!, Skippy.

They get no more massive piles of money than does coal. The differance is that Wind is actually cheaper per watt to build in most places now than is dirty coal. And the individual homeowner can use solar to fuel his car, power his home, and actually get a few dimes back from the power company at the end of the year. But then, Dave type people hate the idea of the homeowner gaining independence for the big energy corperations.

They get no more massive piles of money than does coal. The differance is that Wind is actually cheaper per watt to build in most places now than is dirty coal. And the individual homeowner can use solar to fuel his car, power his home, and actually get a few dimes back from the power company at the end of the year. But then, Dave type people hate the idea of the homeowner gaining independence for the big energy corperations.
Roxy, I want you to go to your breaker box and turn off every other breaker.

Half the nation's power is provided by coal. You want to turn it off.

So start with your house. See how quickly solar and wind take up the slack and turn back on half your house.

Oh Gawd.......another hysterical asshole in here!!:coffee:

What the fuck happened to people like this in their formative years, navigating life worrying about a house dropping out of the sky and onto their head!! WTF!!??? Shit.....my dick might fall off tomorrow.....maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and register with the society of monks!:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::2up:

A distinct majority don't give a flying fuck about this stuff the k00ks are ready to jump off a cliff about.......... Obama ahead of U.S. public on climate change ? Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

Forum List

Back