Obama Declared 13 National Emergencies — 11 Are Still Active

Sunsettommy

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2018
The Border Wall law pass passed and signed into law in 2006, ever since then it has been party politics preventing the funding for the wall. First it was Democrats who tried to fund the wall, but stopped by Republicans, now it is the Republicans who wants to fund it, the Democrats resist it.

Big League Politics

Jan 10,2019

Patrick Howley

Excerpt:

"There are a lot of national emergencies going on. In fact, there are 31 active national emergencies declared under the National Emergencies Act.

Bill Clinton used this authority 17 times. President Trump has only used it three times so far.

Sorry Democrats, this “national emergency” business is not quite the work of “dictators.”

LINK

Remember when Obama couldn’t pass the ACA because he was a terrible negotiatior wih no idea how to make a deal on anything, so he declared a national emergency on healthcare? Oh whoops, no, that would have been abuse of power.

Remember when Obama couldn’t pass the ACA because he was a terrible negotiatior wih no idea how to make a deal on anything, so he declared a national emergency on healthcare? Oh whoops, no, that would have been abuse of power.
Nope! He just did it by stealth and deception... Remember you have to pass it before you can find out what is in it.... And the democrat sheep baa, baa, baa, right along with the lie...

Whats funny here, Trump punked everyone who failed to act, in both parties... And he did it publically...Watch his pole numbers soar some more!

Nope! He just did it by stealth and deception... Remember you have to pass it before you can find out what is in it.... And the democrat sheep baa, baa, baa, right along with the lie...
That’s how Trump’s tax giveaway to the wealthiest was passed. Now baa for me. Baa, baa, baa.

Can you cite them OP?

Ha ha ha, all the relevant information and links are INSIDE the article I posted, it is why I posted it here, with a LOT of background information in it to read over.

Try reading it next time.

Last edited:

Whats funny here, Trump punked everyone who failed to act, in both parties... And he did it publically...Watch his pole numbers soar some more!
pole numbers?

I thought he was known for having a tiny little pole .

Can you cite them OP?

Ha ha ha, all the relevant information and links are INSIDE the article I posted, it is why I posted it here, with a LOT of background information in it to read over.

It was a highly partisan article that tries to convince the reader of the righteousness of Trump's Border Emergency Declaration. It really didn't list any specifics of the prior emergencies declared under the act, which mostly have to do with sanctioning terrorist/supporter here and abroad. I'm pretty sure none were in response to Obama's failure in negotiations on one of his campaign promises.

The Border Wall law pass passed and signed into law in 2006, ever since then it has been party politics preventing the funding for the wall. First it was Democrats who tried to fund the wall, but stopped by Republicans, now it is the Republicans who wants to fund it, the Democrats resist it.

Big League Politics

Jan 10,2019

Patrick Howley

Excerpt:

"There are a lot of national emergencies going on. In fact, there are 31 active national emergencies declared under the National Emergencies Act.

Bill Clinton used this authority 17 times. President Trump has only used it three times so far.

Sorry Democrats, this “national emergency” business is not quite the work of “dictators.”

LINK
What exactly did Obama declare national emergencies for? My guess is they were for actual emergencies.

Can you cite them OP?

It was a highly partisan article that tries to convince the reader of the righteousness of Trump's Border Emergency Declaration. It really didn't list any specifics of the prior emergencies declared under the act, which mostly have to do with sanctioning terrorist/supporter here and abroad. I'm pretty sure none were in response to Obama's failure in negotiations on one of his campaign promises.

Why are you lying?

Here is what the code says in the articles internal link, you pretended to read:

50 U.S. Code § 1621 - Declaration of national emergency by President; publication in Federal Register; effect on other laws; superseding legislation

(a) With respect to Acts of Congress authorizing the exercise, during the period of a national emergency, of any special or extraordinary power, the President is authorized to declare such national emergency. Such proclamation shall immediately be transmitted to the Congress and published in the Federal Register.

(b) Any provisions of law conferring powers and authorities to be exercised during a national emergency shall be effective and remain in effect (1) only when the President (in accordance with subsection (a) of this section), specifically declares a national emergency, and (2) only in accordance with this chapter. No law enacted after September 14, 1976, shall supersede this subchapter unless it does so in specific terms, referring to this subchapter, and declaring that the new law supersedes the provisions of this subchapter.
(Pub. L. 94–412, title II, § 201, Sept. 14, 1976, 90 Stat. 1255.)

Do I have to post the others two from the article you pretended to read?

Why on earth would any sensible or serious person read something from a blog called "Big League Politics?"

Think McFly, THINK!!

tenor.gif

Why on earth would any sensible or serious person read something from a blog called "Big League Politics?"

Think McFly, THINK!!

tenor.gif

That is why you are IGNORANT, even when I pointed out the existing internal links showing that it is allowed under limitations. You are too lazy to find out if what I said was true or not.

Meanwhile you missed post 10?

You are a joke?

Why are you lying?

Lying? It was exactly as I described. Full of all too many links to click on.

"Sorry Democrats, this “national emergency” business is not quite the work of “dictators.”"

"The American people stand with President Trump following his amazing Oval Office address explaining the human cost of illegal immigration."

"Of Obama’s 11 continuing national emergencies, nine of them were focused exclusively on foreign nations, while only one seemed focused on protecting America — a declaration aimed at punishing individuals “engaging in significant malicious cyber-enabled activities."

So partisan it made me want to puke.

"All of the rest of Obama’s national emergencies were focused on blocking property or prohibiting transactions/travel for individuals engaged in various activities in — by order of the date of enactment — Somalia, Libya, transnational criminal organizations, Yemen, Ukraine, South Sudan, Central African Republic, Venezuela and Burundi."

Personally I don't think any of those represent the kind of national emergency Congress had in mind with they passed this bill. They need to pass a joint resolution to end the emergency(and all the other declared ones that aren't really emergencies as well) and override the veto that would surely come. At the same time they need to pass an amendment to the Act that clearly defines what constitutes a National Emergency so that the next president is not tempted to do the same thing. Otherwise we're taking another step in handing the next Caesar the throne.

did he wait a couple of months to decide they were emergencies ?

Why are you lying?

"Sorry Democrats, this “national emergency” business is not quite the work of “dictators.”"

"The American people stand with President Trump following his amazing Oval Office address explaining the human cost of illegal immigration."

"Of Obama’s 11 continuing national emergencies, nine of them were focused exclusively on foreign nations, while only one seemed focused on protecting America — a declaration aimed at punishing individuals “engaging in significant malicious cyber-enabled activities."

"All of the rest of Obama’s national emergencies were focused on blocking property or prohibiting transactions/travel for individuals engaged in various activities in — by order of the date of enactment — Somalia, Libya, transnational criminal organizations, Yemen, Ukraine, South Sudan, Central African Republic, Venezuela and Burundi."

Personally I don't think any of those represent the kind of national emergency Congress had in mind with they passed this bill. They need to pass a joint resolution to end the emergency(and all the other declared ones that aren't really emergencies as well) and override the veto that would surely come. At the same time they need to pass an amendment to the Act that clearly defines what constitutes a National Emergency so that the next president is not tempted to do the same thing. Otherwise we're taking another step in handing the next Caesar the throne.

Oh dear, not once did I argue about Obamas emergencies, whether they were valid or not. What I am pointing out from the start that National Emergencies have existed and used many times already. I even posted evidence of it by quote.

This is what I stated in TOP of post one, MY WORDS:

"The Border Wall law pass passed and signed into law in 2006, ever since then it has been party politics preventing the funding for the wall. First it was Democrats who tried to fund the wall, but stopped by Republicans, now it is the Republicans who wants to fund it, the Democrats resist it.

Your ignorance is incredible, you write,

"They need to pass a joint resolution to end the emergency(and all the other declared ones that aren't really emergencies as well) and override the veto that would surely come. At the same time they need to pass an amendment to the Act that clearly defines what constitutes a National Emergency so that the next president is not tempted to do the same thing. Otherwise we're taking another step in handing the next Caesar the throne."

It has been done 1976 when CONGRESS passed the main update for it, to provide some check and balance in use of Emergency declarations:

"The National Emergencies Act (NEA) (Pub.L. 94–412, 90 Stat. 1255, enacted September 14, 1976, codified at 50 U.S.C. § 1601–1651) is a United States federal law passed to end all previous national emergencies states of national emergency and to formalize the emergencies powers of the President.

The Act empowers the President to activate special powers during a crisis but imposes certain procedural formalities when invoking such powers. The perceived need for the law arose from the scope and number of laws granting special powers to the executive in times of national emergency. Congress can undo a state of emergency declaration with either a joint resolution and the President's signature, or with a veto-proof majority vote.[1]

The legislation was signed by President Gerald Ford on September 14, 1976.[2] As of February 2019, 59 national emergencies have been declared, and the United States is under 31 continuing declared states of national emergency.[1][3]"

WIKIPEDIA LINK

You need to catch up.

Last edited:
Why are you lying?

Oh dear, not once did I argue about Obamas emergencies, whether they were valid or not. What I am pointing out from the start that National Emergencies have existed and used many times already. I even posted evidence of it by quote.

This is what I stated in post one, MY WORDS:

"The Border Wall law pass passed and signed into law in 2006, ever since then it has been party politics preventing the funding for the wall. First it was Democrats who tried to fund the wall, but stopped by Republicans, now it is the Republicans who wants to fund it, the Democrats resist it.

"They need to pass a joint resolution to end the emergency(and all the other declared ones that aren't really emergencies as well) and override the veto that would surely come. At the same time they need to pass an amendment to the Act that clearly defines what constitutes a National Emergency so that the next president is not tempted to do the same thing. Otherwise we're taking another step in handing the next Caesar the throne."

It has been done 1976 when CONGRESS passed the main update for it, to provide some check and balance in use of Emergency declarations:

"The National Emergencies Act (NEA) (Pub.L. 94–412, 90 Stat. 1255, enacted September 14, 1976, codified at 50 U.S.C. § 1601–1651) is a United States federal law passed to end all previous national emergencies states of national emergency and to formalize the emergencies powers of the President.

The Act empowers the President to activate special powers during a crisis but imposes certain procedural formalities when invoking such powers. The perceived need for the law arose from the scope and number of laws granting special powers to the executive in times of national emergency. Congress can undo a state of emergency declaration with either a joint resolution and the President's signature, or with a veto-proof majority vote.[1]

The legislation was signed by President Gerald Ford on September 14, 1976.[2] As of February 2019, 59 national emergencies have been declared, and the United States is under 31 continuing declared states of national emergency.[1][3]"

WIKIPEDIA LINK

You need to catch up.

Aww sweetie you said I was lying. I wasn't

You said I didn't read your article, I did.

Did I need to click on every link to find the answer? Nope.

"Catch up" you say. Hmm the act was updated in 1985.

You don't like my opinion on how to fix this and future abuses of the Act?

So what?

Why are you lying?

This is what I stated in post one, MY WORDS:

WIKIPEDIA LINK

You need to catch up.

Aww sweetie you said I was lying. I wasn't

You said I didn't read your article, I did.

Did I need to click on every link to find the answer? Nope.

"Catch up" you say. Hmm the act was updated in 1985.

You don't like my opinion on how to fix this and future abuses of the Act?

So what?

You are so full of shit!

Here is the entire block which was very early in the article, it covered everything I was talking about, notice all these obvious were linked to sources outside the article.

"As noted in the first installment on this topic, Congress has given a president the power to declare a national emergency by 50 U.S.C. 1621 and 50 U.S.C. 1622. A declaration of an emergency allows the President to reprogram funds in the military budget. See 33 U.S. Code § 2293 “Reprogramming during national emergencies.”

Trump could reprogram funds from other parts of the Department of Defense budget — including from other DoD construction projects such as on bases, military housing, etc. — and engage in construction in areas of need for the national defense. The statute says that explicitly (although statutes are never easy reading).

But Democrats are threatening and commentators are warning that such an action would be challenged in court and in Congress immediately. Can such a plan be blocked?

First, 50 U.S.C. §1622 allows the Congress to over-turn a president’s declaration of an emergency. If both the Senate and the House each pass s resolution terminating the President’s declaration of an emergency, than the emergency status terminates under 50 U.S.C. §1622. But clearly the Republican-controlled U.S. Senate would not join the Democrat-controlled U.S. House of Representatives. Unless a significant number of Republican Senators vote against a border wall built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers or contractors with military funds, Congress could not block Trump’s efforts."

You make clear that you are too lazy to look up the links since what Trump has declared as Emergency is legal, with a lot or prior precedence, 31 of them that are STILL running as of now!

Stop your lies and stop being so lazy to read up on the background of the Emergency decrees and the legality of them.

No he just bribed senators

Face plant of the day

You are so full of shit!

Haha I love mindless insults too. Here's my fav.

First, 50 U.S.C. §1622 allows the Congress to over-turn a president’s declaration of an emergency. If both the Senate and the House each pass s resolution terminating the President’s declaration of an emergency

That was amended in 1985. It has to be a joint resolution sent to the President like any other piece of legislation.

Furthermore I never once said his declaration was illegal did I?

I oppose the frivolous use of them to fulfill partisan campaign promises.

Forum List

Back