Obama On Oscar 'White out': Hollywood Should ‘Provide Opportunity to Everybody’

LINK: Obama Weighs In on Oscars Race Controversy

OBAMA: “As a whole, the industry should do what every other industry should do, which is to look for talent, and provide opportunity to everybody,” the President said. “I think the Oscar debate is really just an expression of this broader issue of are we making sure that everybody is getting a fair shot?”

Does that mean he thinks the BET Awards should be 'whitened' or eliminated, or is an 'all-black, no-whites/ no non-blacks-allowed', entertainment awards show ok?

:rolleyes:
Write a story about a black man who courts his lady love respectfully...remains true to her...has a good job...works hard, marries...raises five healthy intelligent children, takes pride in his grandchildren and dies happy with all at his side. Could be a winner...as contrasted with what we get now.

Maaan, the Cosby show was 30 years ago lol.

Typically there is more to a movie than be successful and die. There has to be drama...that's why your movie idea won't happen. It's poorly written.
There can be a whole lot of drama created...inside the overall theme...like writing threads for usmb...

Anything can be created. But your movie idea didn't create it
Fill in the blanks douche bag...you have lots of blanks. Then GFY.

OBAMA: “As a whole, the industry should do what every other industry should do, which is to look for talent, and provide opportunity to everybody,” the President said. “I think the Oscar debate is really just an expression of this broader issue of are we making sure that everybody is getting a fair shot?”

Does that mean he thinks the BET Awards should be 'whitened' or eliminated, or is an 'all-black, no-whites/ no non-blacks-allowed', entertainment awards show ok?

OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE OPPORTUNITY!!!!!!!!!!

THE HORROR!!!!!

loon. :cuckoo:

Are you really claiming Hollywood doesn't have opportunity for black people?

No your own link did that for her

Lack of success doesn't mean lack of opportunity. The problem with those complaining about the Oscars is they're aren't willing to accept they just didn't get it done and have to have an excuse in order to continue to fool themselves into thinking they don't suck at what they do.

THE link you provided disagrees with you.

I didn't provide a link.

What does "provide opportunity for everybody" actually mean? Should Tinseltown provide audition opportunities for everyone who shows up at the door? Maybe seniority on the job should be the primary determination for actors salaries. Why not pay the actors the same rate as the guys who run the lighting and build the sets.

To those boycotting and supporting the boycott, it means blacks better be nominated to the level they want or it's automatically racism.

To those boycotting and supporting the boycott, it means blacks better be nominated to the level they want or it's automatically racism.

THAT DOES IT!

I refuse to watch the Oscars.

Of course I've never watched them before, but that's beside the point...

They equate not getting what they want with it not being done fairly. I thought that MLK wanted people to be judged by the content of their character, or in this case the quality of their work, not the color of their skin. When it happens the way blacks claim they want, suddenly that's not good enough. It has to be something related to skin color.

Correll be like "Look at my link, HERE IS THE PROOF YOU IDIOTS"

Until someone reads his link and it shows he's wrong

then Correll be like "Haaaaa, I was just kidding!"

YOu have never addressed the numbers showing that blacks win their fair share of Oscars.
When you grow up maybe you'll realize that numbers are not the be all end all.

This whole "issue" is because of numbers, ie zero blacks THIS YEAR.

But when I show that the numbers for the time period since 2000 for blacks match their percentage of the population, suddenly "numbers are not hte be all end all".

LOL!

Hollywood is not racist against blacks.
You still don't get it.

THAT DOES IT!

They equate not getting what they want with it not being done fairly. I thought that MLK wanted people to be judged by the content of their character, or in this case the quality of their work, not the color of their skin. When it happens the way blacks claim they want, suddenly that's not good enough. It has to be something related to skin color.
In this case, it's not character. It's talent. The Oscars judges on the basis of talent and the black actors didn't exhibit any talent.

THAT DOES IT!

In this case, it's not character. It's talent. The Oscars judges on the basis of talent and the black actors didn't exhibit any talent.

What King was saying is judge by what they do, in other words skills, rather than appearance.

Am I the only one who sees this as kind of funny? Black liberals turn on white liberals in Hollywood.

Well, the Oscars like everything else have been NATIONALIZED and turned into a welfare type program.

The first Academy Awards presentation was held on May 16, 1929, at a private dinner at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel with an audience of about 270 people. The post-awards party was held at the Mayfair Hotel.[8] The cost of guest tickets for that night's ceremony was $5 ($69 in 2016 dollars).[9] Fifteen statuettes were awarded, honoring artists, directors and other participants in the film-making industry of the time, for their works during the 1927–28 period. The ceremony ran for 15 minutes.

What constitutes "excellence" depends on the SUBJECTIVE perception or assessment of 5,783 voters.

You don't like the way the Oscars evaluate excellence? Fine, Then start your own organization for evaluating excellence. That's how things are done in a FREE COUNTRY.

Remember when Pearl Jam won a Grammy and Eddie Vedder asked why we were giving out awards for art? Why do we even need awards, merit-based or otherwise, for art?

You don't like the way the Oscars evaluate excellence? Fine, Then start your own organization for evaluating excellence. That's how things are done in a FREE COUNTRY.

....so then you can cry about the Essence and BET awards right? But grab your popcorn for the Country Music Awards huh man?

Forum List

Back