Obama proposes Gigabyte Cities Across America

I worked on the project building the fiber optic system for EPB (power company owned by the city of Chattanooga TN). It is a pretty awesome system, with good speeds, good video capabilities, and priced to be competitive. And, from what my son says, you can get 1 Gigabit speeds for around $60 to $70 a month. Lots of bandwidth too, so the slowdown during peak hours is far less than a regular cable system.
Obama spoke of Chattanooga and said their internet backbone turned the bad economy around there.

I worked on the project building the fiber optic system for EPB (power company owned by the city of Chattanooga TN). It is a pretty awesome system, with good speeds, good video capabilities, and priced to be competitive. And, from what my son says, you can get 1 Gigabit speeds for around $60 to $70 a month. Lots of bandwidth too, so the slowdown during peak hours is far less than a regular cable system.
Obama spoke of Chattanooga and said their internet backbone turned the bad economy around there.

It is a helluva system. I will give EPB credit for deciding to build it right.

And when the State controls (regulates) the means of access, the State has the means to control (regulate) the content.
Do you believe this is Net Neutrality? The people in Cedar Falls seem happy with their access.
Neutrality? No, I prefer the wild wild west in the net, and trust no form of government to refrain from involving itself in content regulation.

ETA: should be Gigabit, not Gigabyte

Obama travelled to Cedar Falls, Iowa today to talk about allowing cities and towns to build their own high speed internet utilities to provide cheap high speed internet to compete with private ISPs people are forced to use because they're the only ISP in town. 20 years ago, Cedar Rapids did just that and Obama wants their model expanded everywhere.

He will expand upon his plan next Tuesday in his SOTU speech. I listened to him on the radio WMT 600 and could not find a problem with this. He wants to clear the road and remove current regulations and State laws to allow cities to build their own internet backbones.

Your thoughts? It doesn't sound like an Obamacare scheme, it will be up to locals to create their own ISPs.
Oh, shit! Now that Obama has come out in favor of cheap high speed internet, the Republicans will automatically knee jerk in the opposite direction. We'll probably all have to go back to dial up with 9600 baud modems now.

Forum List

Back