Obama trip to Africa June 26 could cost $60 to $100 million

We all know the reason

And it is called sequester:

se·ques·ter
/səˈkwestər/
Noun
A general cut in government spending.

No one branch should be immune from it.

Sequester is an artificial crisis created because Congress can't do it's job. To pretend that it reflects an actual financial crisis is laughable

It was Barry's idea, and he's chosen to cut in areas to get a huge public reaction. Typical union thug tactic.

The guy doesn't give shit about the nation, just about trying to score political points.

And it is called sequester:

se·ques·ter
/səˈkwestər/
Noun
A general cut in government spending.

No one branch should be immune from it.

Sequester is an artificial crisis created because Congress can't do it's job. To pretend that it reflects an actual financial crisis is laughable

It was Barry's idea, and he's chosen to cut in areas to get a huge public reaction. Typical union thug tactic.

The guy doesn't give shit about the nation, just about trying to score political points.

And even if all of that is 100% true, it doesn't change the fact that diplomatic trips abroad are part of the presidents job.

Didnt you just say its not the number of countries but the number of trips? o_O

This trip is as much a work related trip as a family vacation. The vast majority of costs are security and travel, and that is unavoidable for any POTUS.

But one source I looked at pegged Obama's last trip to Israel at $11 mllion. The costs of travel shouldn't be much different than going to sub-Sahara Africa and I would think security concerns would have been at maximum.

This trip is as much a work related trip as a family vacation. The vast majority of costs are security and travel, and that is unavoidable for any POTUS.

But one source I looked at pegged Obama's last trip to Israel at $11 mllion. The costs of travel shouldn't be much different than going to sub-Sahara Africa and I would think security concerns would have been at maximum.

Why would you think a trip to Israel should cost the same as one to Africa?

"The Washington Post story didn’t say that Obama’s trip will cost $100 million, but that the trip could cost $60-100 million, and that the cost was based on similar African trips made in recent years, “Obama’s trip could cost the federal government $60 million to $100 million based on the costs of similar African trips in recent years, according to one person familiar with the journey, who was not authorized to speak for attribution.”

President Obama hasn’t made any trips to Africa, except a 22 hour stopover in Ghana in 2009, so it is pretty clear that Secret Service is basing their cost estimate on the cost of the Bush trips. Since George W. Bush made two presidential trips to Africa, it is likely that he spent more money in today’s dollars as President Obama will on his trip."

Cost of Obama's Trip is Dwarfed By George And Laura Bush's Africa Spending Spree

"Even in the most developed places of Western Europe, the level of support you need for mass movements by the president is really extraordinary,” explains Steve Atkiss, who served as a special assistant for operations to George W. Bush. The U.S. government typically relies on first-rate hospital and police support on trips to developed nations, but supplies more of its own resources while traveling through lesser-developed parts of the world.... President Clinton's 1998 trip cost an estimated $42.7 million..."

Obama Africa Trip 2013: Why Obama?s $100 Million African Trip Isn?t a Big Deal

So no, traveling through Africa is not the same as traveling in Israel.

How long was he in Isreal? How long will he be in Africa? How many nations will he visit while in Africa? What is the security situation in those countries vs Isreal?

Why are we even having this discussion? This is what presidents do.

Were the wingnuts this faux-raged over Bush's African trip?

And even if all of that is 100% true, it doesn't change the fact that diplomatic trips abroad are part of the presidents job.

Obama vacations in Africa, but our Marines are missing hot meals in Afghanistan.

WHich has nothing to do with Obama, but does have to do with the fact that as the military prepares to leave a country, they cut out all non-essentials.

Save that line of bs for the wingnut brigade.

I have not been able to find a source for the $11 million Israel trip. However I assume you mean his March trip.

The president traveled to Tel Aviv, Jordan and the West Bank. He spent 3 days eating at different diplomats homes, viewing Museums and chatting with royalty.

Middle East Trip 2013 | The White House

The Africa trip, from June 26 to July 3rd, will include 4 major cities in 3 African countries for POTUS and his wife(and their daughters) and you'll find in one of the links I provided a list of some of the many things required for travel in Africa, such as communication vehicles, a medical trama center, an ambulance equipped to handle biological containments and a truck to jam radio frequencies.

they cut out all non-essentials.

Which is exactly what the White House should be doing; cutting out all non-essentials expenses. This trip would fit that description perfectly.

implied-facepalm.jpg

Considering the fact that Obama is keeping the people out of the White House, even though the cost was so minor compared to most things, he should not spend a dime unless it is absolutely necessary.

Sometimes he can just phone it in and save millions.

Of course we know that the cuts made were meant to make the public feel the pain and they cut minor things just to hurt us. If things were that bad, he would have to cut real expenses, but seems that he and M haven't slowed down a bit when it comes to taking trips and spending the tax payer dollars.

Considering the fact that Obama is keeping the people out of the White House, even though the cost was so minor compared to most things, he should not spend a dime unless it is absolutely necessary.

Sometimes he can just phone it in and save millions.

Of course we know that the cuts made were meant to make the public feel the pain and they cut minor things just to hurt us. If things were that bad, he would have to cut real expenses, but seems that he and M haven't slowed down a bit when it comes to taking trips and spending the tax payer dollars.

gop-crybaby_seal_n.jpg

Obama vacations in Africa, but our Marines are missing hot meals in Afghanistan.

WHich has nothing to do with Obama, but does have to do with the fact that as the military prepares to leave a country, they cut out all non-essentials.

Save that line of bs for the wingnut brigade.

Is that why tours of the white house for 6th graders have been cancelled? No money for that, but millions for barry and mooshelle to visit their homeland. ??? really??

Forum List

Back