Obama Ukranian Response Thread and Poll

What should Obama do about Putin's Ukraine grab?

• Nothing, same as always

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Go on Letterman Show and issue a stern warning

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Apologize for American greatness

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Break off his date with Reggie Love and actually attend a National Security meeting

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Appoint Bill Clinton special envoy to things above Obamas paygrade

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters
Obama needs our help

What should Obama do about Putin's Sudetenlandization of the Ukraine?

The Obama For America trolls at USMB will report the results back to their handlers

If you're going to post stupid shit like this, then put it in the Political Satire forum where it belongs.

Let's worry about keeping our promise to Native Americans before we worry about Russians.

So in addition to us breaking treaties with the natives we should just follow it up and break treaties as recent as 20 years ago with allies? And this is going to give us good standing in the world? Lol. You guys are a hoot.

What did we promise to do?

Budapest Memorandums on Security Assurances, 1994 - Council on Foreign Relations

What should he do? Resign office for this disgrace and apologize to the American people, leaving in his stead the much more competent Joe Biden.

What will he do? Give speeches wagging his finger and declaring this time he means it, really. Then he'll refer the matter to the UN, NATO, and anyone else he can slough responsibility off on.

Nothing. Its none of his or the US's business.

Yes it is. We did sign a treaty with ukraine in 1994 to protect them after they gave up their nuclear stockpile.

I wasn't aware of that, LordBrownTrout. I know we have a treaty to protect Taiwan but wasn't aware of a treaty with the Ukraine. Interesting.

Clinton, yeltsin, majors, and kuchma all signed the budapest memorandum in 1994. The obligations are in the treaty.

So in addition to us breaking treaties with the natives we should just follow it up and break treaties as recent as 20 years ago with allies? And this is going to give us good standing in the world? Lol. You guys are a hoot.

What did we promise to do?

Budapest Memorandums on Security Assurances, 1994 - Council on Foreign Relations

I don't see where that treaty was broken or any recourse if broken.

I don't see where that treaty was broken or any recourse if broken.

First clause.

The U.S. can't support a Revolution in Ukraine and then set up puppet rulers while complaining Russia isn't respecting Ukraine by being invited into Crimea.

You've made that up entirely. And you are deflecting from the truth that Russia has violated its agreement in the Budapest Accords and we are obligated to insure Ukraine's integrity.

Obama needs our help

The Obama For America trolls at USMB will report the results back to their handlers

In a major crisis of this proportion I think every American should examine their visceral reactions very closely. There are not many realistic options available to Obama. The Europeans have their own set of priorities, Russian gas and resources for example. I think, or hope we're all agreed a military response is off the table. Putin knows this. That leaves diplomacy. Every American reponse looks futile without European cooperation especially from France and Germany.

Obama's options are also limited by opposition within America. I think the seriousness of the crisis requires at least a temporary show of unity, give the Commander in Chief a little space to deall with Putin who is obviously relishing the sniping the president is under going from his own citizens. It's a time to give the Commander in Chief all the support possible, and if not support at least silence. It's an old caution, a house divided cannot stand.

Remember when Reagan faced "opposition within America" on dealing with the USSR?

Obama needs our help

Obama shouldn't be saying anything that deals with red lines or consequences.
It would end up with him looking as weak of a leader as he is.

Obama has taken, "Baffle them with bullshit" to a new level and is fooling no one.

Obama needs our help

Obama shouldn't be saying anything that deals with red lines or consequences.
It would end up with him looking as weak of a leader as he is.

Obama has taken, "Baffle them with bullshit" to a new level and is fooling no one.

The only ones baffled are his supporters - Putin has long sized up boy Obama!

Obama needs our help

In a major crisis of this proportion I think every American should examine their visceral reactions very closely. There are not many realistic options available to Obama. The Europeans have their own set of priorities, Russian gas and resources for example. I think, or hope we're all agreed a military response is off the table. Putin knows this. That leaves diplomacy. Every American reponse looks futile without European cooperation especially from France and Germany.

Obama's options are also limited by opposition within America. I think the seriousness of the crisis requires at least a temporary show of unity, give the Commander in Chief a little space to deall with Putin who is obviously relishing the sniping the president is under going from his own citizens. It's a time to give the Commander in Chief all the support possible, and if not support at least silence. It's an old caution, a house divided cannot stand.
Support to do what? Obama has not proposed doing anything yet. What is there to support? The truth is he has many options. But he hasnt laid any on the table. He is prevaricating, vacillating and doing nothing, allowing Putin time to consolidate his hold.

Obama needs our help

Support to do what? Obama has not proposed doing anything yet. What is there to support? The truth is he has many options. But he hasnt laid any on the table. He is prevaricating, vacillating and doing nothing, allowing Putin time to consolidate his hold.
Prevarication is his strong point :badgrin: I voted to do nothing - a decision based on simple math: 99.999% of what he does has an adverse effect :eusa_whistle:

What are his "many options"?

You say;

"Support to do what? Obama has not proposed doing anything yet. What is there to support? The truth is he has many options. But he hasnt laid any on the table. He is prevaricating, vacillating and doing nothing, allowing Putin time to consolidate his hold."

I'd really like to know what you consider his viable options outside of trying to get the Europeans to abandon their short term interests in order to counter Russian aggression. Obviously America has very little solo power in European affairs.

The clueless community organizer should mind his own business, stay out of russian affairs and get back to creating social justice here at home... Meddling will only create more animosity and hatred from our russion comrades... Lol

Russia has a monopoly on natural gas in Europe. Won't work.

Not really accurate. Russia's importance as a gas supplier is waning:

"Russia is Europe's biggest supplier of natural gas, but the continent has been weaning itself off dependence on its neighbour for the last decade."

"It now imports less than 30% of its natural gas from Russia, compared with 45% in 2003, according to European Union statistics."

BBC News - Ukraine crisis: Europe?s stored gas high as prices soar

Forum List

Back