Obama wants to cut taxes

Obama wants to cut corporate tax rates from 35% to 28%. And down to 25% for manufacturing firms.

Why haven't the Republicans accepted this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/u...-corporate-tax-rate-as-part-of-jobs-deal.html

Obama Renews Corporate Tax Reform Proposals

Obama: Cut the Corporate Tax Rate to Help the Poor | Tax Foundation

Nice try....From your link....
"But only the packaging was new. The president essentially cobbled together two existing initiatives that have been stalled in Congress: corporate tax changes and his plan to create jobs through education, training, and public works projects.

Mr. Obama outlined the terms of his tax plan in early 2012 during the presidential election, when he said the corporate tax rate would be reduced to 28 percent, from 35 percent, with a lower rate of 25 percent for manufacturing firms.

While the president presented the proposal as a concession, Republicans dismissed it more acidly than usual. “It’s the opposite of a concession,” said Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Speaker John A. Boehner of Ohio.

In the Republicans’ view, Mr. Obama’s offer was less of a “grand bargain” than an effort to extract a new fiscal stimulus program with money from a corporate tax cut that would end up, for accounting reasons, initially generating billions of dollars of revenue for the government."

• Banned
Perhaps if you looked into what he wants in exchange for the tax cut, you could answer your own question.

He wants to cut wastefull loopholes such as for private jets. And he wants to get rid of tax breaks that help companies move jobs out of the USA.

Do you want more Americans to have jobs or not?

• Banned
"But only the packaging was new. The president essentially cobbled together two existing initiatives that have been stalled in Congress: corporate tax changes and his plan to create jobs through education, training, and public works projects.

Mr. Obama outlined the terms of his tax plan in early 2012 during the presidential election, when he said the corporate tax rate would be reduced to 28 percent, from 35 percent, with a lower rate of 25 percent for manufacturing firms.

While the president presented the proposal as a concession, Republicans dismissed it more acidly than usual. “It’s the opposite of a concession,” said Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Speaker John A. Boehner of Ohio.

In the Republicans’ view, Mr. Obama’s offer was less of a “grand bargain” than an effort to extract a new fiscal stimulus program with money from a corporate tax cut that would end up, for accounting reasons, initially generating billions of dollars of revenue for the government."

So Republicans are against lowering tax rates for corporations and manufacturers because this would initially lead to more revenue for the government?

Talk about being suicidal. Do we want more working Americans or not?

Perhaps if you looked into what he wants in exchange for the tax cut, you could answer your own question.

He wants to cut wastefull loopholes such as for private jets. And he wants to get rid of tax breaks that help companies move jobs out of the USA.

In other words, you did not look into what he wanted in exchange.

He wanted more spending. "Stimulus" spending.

Oh, by the way. I am all for "closing loopholes", which is a populist's way of saying "eliminating tax expenditures", except in this case Obama only wants to close a handful here and there.

I want ALL of them closed. I want a permanent ban on ALL tax expenditures. Unfortunately, even alleged "conservatives" scream like hippies when you start talking about taking away the government gifts they like.

Last edited:

Here's the thing.

Let's pretend you were a profligate spender and all your credit was maxed out, and you just had some extra cash roll in.

What kind of special idiot would you have to be to find a way to increase your spending instead of curbing your spending and paying down your debts?

I'll answer that question for you: You'd have to be an Obama-level idiot.

Last edited:
Here's the thing.

Let's pretend you were a profligate spender and all your credit was maxed out, and you just had some extra cash roll in.

What kind of special idiot would you have to be to find a way to increase your spending instead of curbing your spending and paying down your debts?

No spending happens without the consent of the Republican House.

Obama can't choose to increase spending on his own.

Here's the thing.

No spending happens without the consent of the Republican House.

Obama can't choose to increase spending on his own.

Exactly. And now your OP question is answered! :)

Obama wants to cut corporate tax rates from 35% to 28%. And down to 25% for manufacturing firms.

Why haven't the Republicans accepted this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/u...-corporate-tax-rate-as-part-of-jobs-deal.html

What's the catch?

The catch? Getting rid of tax deductions for private jets.

That is exactly it. Corporations would rather have a 35% tax where they only pay 15% than a 25% tax where they actually paid 25%. "Fix the tax code for small business!" - translation - "Increase the tax base so we can create yet another tax loophole for ourselves."

Tax reductions coupled with more spending?

If the Republicans offered Obama a tax proposal that included all of his ideas with no new spending, he would probably accept it.

I shudder at the idea of implementing all of Obama's tax ideas. However, even if Obama signed such a bill, demands for more spending would follow immediately.

Oh, by the way. I am all for "closing loopholes", which is a populist's way of saying "eliminating tax expenditures", except in this case Obama only wants to close a handful here and there.

I want ALL of them closed. I want a permanent ban on ALL tax expenditures. Unfortunately, even alleged "conservatives" scream like hippies when you start talking about taking away the government gifts they like.

Holding out for ALL of them means you will get none of them. Let the tit-for-tat taking away of government gifts begin... anytime now.

Forum List

Back