Obama's $400,000 speech could prompt Congress to go after his pension

An ordinary person on social security loses income when he or she works. Politicians should be no different.

I worked in the military and private sector for most of my life under Social Security. Now, I work in a state with a retirement plan for teachers and if I take that retirement, they can legally reduce the social security I earned from the ages of 17 through 47.

Is that fair?

However, the government does decide what the American people should pay to ex presidents, and it is outrageous that some one who earns $400,000 an hour should bilk the public out of $200,000 a year. If Obama were not just a sleazy, money grubbing politician he would now be donating that $200,000 a year which he doesn't need to one of the causes he claims to support.

Apparently you weren't around when Ronald Reagan made a couple of $1 million speeches in Japan.

Last year, then-president Barack Obama vetoed a bill that would have curbed the pensions of former presidents if they took outside income of $400,000 or more.

So now that former president Barack Obama has decided to accept $400,000 for an upcoming Wall Street speech, the sponsors of that bill say they'll reintroduce that bill in hopes that President Trump will sign it.

"The Obama hypocrisy on this issue is revealing," said Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and sponsor of the 2016 bill. "His veto was very self-serving."

Chaffetz and Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, the sponsor of the companion Senate bill, say they will re-introduce the Presidential Allowance Modernization Act this month. The bill would cap presidential pensions at $200,000, with another $200,000 for expenses. But those payments would be reduced dollar-for-dollar once their outside income exceeds $400,000.

The issue isn't a partisan one — or at least, it wasn't last year. The bill passed both the House and Senate with no opposition, and no veto threat had come from the White House.

So when Obama's veto came one Friday night last July — on the last day for him to sign or veto the legislation — it took lawmakers by surprise. It was the 11th of Obama's 12 vetoes.

Now this is a bill that will have bipartisan support.
the whole concept of limiting what a person can earn when they are a private citizen, is simply utterly ridiculous....R's refuse to cap CEO pay.....what hypocrites, no?

Regardless, even if they passed a bill, it can't be retroactive....when Obama retired and all other presidents still alive, they were owed a pension according to the laws on the books at the time of their hire.

The new law would only come in to effect with the next president...

Nope. Where did you dream that crap up?

The Constitution says that you cannot change their pay, but had no mention of a pension which is a 20th century invention.
In the United States, the Congress is prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 3 of Article I, Section 9 of the United States Constitution.
Ok, so the law will apply to future sleazy scumbags like Obama.

However, the government does decide what the American people should pay to ex presidents, and it is outrageous that some one who earns $400,000 an hour should bilk the public out of $200,000 a year. If Obama were not just a sleazy, money grubbing politician he would now be donating that $200,000 a year which he doesn't need to one of the causes he claims to support.

Apparently you weren't around when Ronald Reagan made a couple of $1 million speeches in Japan.
They are free to earn as much as they want, but if they don't need the pension and other benefits, they shouldn't receive them. This is especially true for some one like Obama whose whole career was based on complaining about how much more some people earn than others. Did he ever mean anything he said about the income gap? It appears not.

the definition of ex post facto law

Since the law will do none of those things, it is not applicable. Go back to school or learn to Goggle, lest you appear dumber than a post.

The Former Presidents Act (known also as FPA; 3 U.S.C. § 102) is a 1958 U.S. federal law that provides several lifetime benefits to former presidents of the United States who have not been removed from office

http://scholarship.law.georgetown.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2437&context=facpub

Ex Post Facto in the Civil Context: Unbridled Punishment

Cummings v. Missouri, 71 U.S. (4 Wall.) 277 (1866).

In the words of the Supreme Court: The deprivation of any rights, civil or political, previously enjoyed, may be punishment, the circumstances attending and the cause of the deprivation determining this fact..

Flemnming v. Nestor, 363 U.S. 603, 619 (1960)

In 1960, the Supreme Court addressed the issue of when a statute's purpose will be characterized as punitive in Flemming v. Nestor.'1 4 The plaintiff challenged a law that terminated social security benefits to an alien individual deported for being a Communist pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act.

They are free to earn as much as they want, but if they don't need the pension and other benefits, they shouldn't receive them. .

Congress can clearly cut off Trumps future pension, but they can't make it retroactive to Obama, or Bush, or Clinton. It's what's considered a punitive, civil ex-post-facto law.

They are free to earn as much as they want, but if they don't need the pension and other benefits, they shouldn't receive them. .

Congress can clearly cut off Trumps future pension, but they can't make it retroactive to Obama, or Bush, or Clinton. It's what's considered a punitive, civil ex-post-facto law.
The Supreme Court disagrees with you.

In the United States, the Congress is prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 3 of Article I, Section 9 of the United States Constitution. The states are prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 1 of Article I, Section 10. This is one of the relatively few restrictions that the United States Constitution made to both the power of the federal and state governments before the Fourteenth Amendment. Thomas Jefferson described them as "equally unjust in civil as in criminal cases". Over the years, however, when deciding ex post facto cases, the United States Supreme Court has referred repeatedly to its ruling in Calder v. Bull, in which Justice Samuel Chase held that the prohibition applied only to criminal matters, not civil matters, and established four categories of unconstitutional ex post facto laws.[21] The case dealt with the Article I, Section 10, prohibition on ex post facto laws, because it concerned a Connecticut state law.

Ex post facto law - Wikipedia

I thought of that earlier today, while I was driving somewhere, and literally laughed out loud, looking weird I'm sure to the motorists around me.

Over the years, however, when deciding ex post facto cases, the United States Supreme Court has referred repeatedly to its ruling in Calder v. Bull, in which Justice Samuel Chase held that the prohibition applied only to criminal matters, not civil matters,

Calder v. Bull, 3 U.S. 386 (1798), is a United States Supreme Court case in which the Court decided four important points of constitutional law.

I cited: Cummings v. Missouri, 71 U.S. (4 Wall.) 277 (1866).

and Flemnming v. Nestor, 363 U.S. 603, 619 (1960)

[

So, you believe that all of your pay that you spend on luxuries, not necessities, should be taken from you because you don't need it?

lol, awesome. Hand it over.

I thought of that earlier today, while I was driving somewhere, and literally laughed out loud, looking weird I'm sure to the motorists around me.
Ex post facto can be civil in nature also. But the bar is a lot higher. In the civil forfeiture it has to be clearly punitive, and have little administrative legitimacy. Since the savings would be minimal (under $1 million a year) and going after a particular individual for political purposes, it meets the USSC restrictions for civil ex-post facto.

Over the years, however, when deciding ex post facto cases, the United States Supreme Court has referred repeatedly to its ruling in Calder v. Bull, in which Justice Samuel Chase held that the prohibition applied only to criminal matters, not civil matters,

Calder v. Bull, 3 U.S. 386 (1798), is a United States Supreme Court case in which the Court decided four important points of constitutional law.

I cited: Cummings v. Missouri, 71 U.S. (4 Wall.) 277 (1866).

and Flemnming v. Nestor, 363 U.S. 603, 619 (1960)
Then I guess if Congress takes away Obama's pension, the Supreme Court will have to rule on it if it doesn't consider the issue already settled by Calder v. Bull.

But a 20% tax cut for wealthy corporations, which will cost hundreds of billions in federal revenue, is A-OK with Republicans.

In other words they're fine with giving billions to their friends but are hell bent on finding yet another way to try to screw the black man who stomped their guts out for 8 straight years.

Yeah right. I've been telling my congresscritteres for years that no elected official at any level should receive any government compensation when they leave office or should they be addressed by their former title. I wouldn't object to a program similar to 401K matching funds like companies do, but that's it. They're supposed to be public servants, not professional politicians.

Then I guess if Congress takes away Obama's pension, the Supreme Court will have to rule on it if it doesn't consider the issue already settled by Calder v. Bull.

Cummings v. Missouri, 71 U.S. (4 Wall.) 277 (1866).and Flemnming v. Nestor, 363 U.S. 603, 619 (1960)[ override the restrictions of criminal only in Calder v. Bull, 3 U.S. 386 (1798).

Same thing happened with Brown v. Board of Education 347 U.S. 483 (1954). Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 US 537 (1896)

Last edited:
Last year, then-president Barack Obama vetoed a bill that would have curbed the pensions of former presidents if they took outside income of $400,000 or more.

So now that former president Barack Obama has decided to accept $400,000 for an upcoming Wall Street speech, the sponsors of that bill say they'll reintroduce that bill in hopes that President Trump will sign it.

"The Obama hypocrisy on this issue is revealing," said Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and sponsor of the 2016 bill. "His veto was very self-serving."

Chaffetz and Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, the sponsor of the companion Senate bill, say they will re-introduce the Presidential Allowance Modernization Act this month. The bill would cap presidential pensions at $200,000, with another $200,000 for expenses. But those payments would be reduced dollar-for-dollar once their outside income exceeds $400,000.

The issue isn't a partisan one — or at least, it wasn't last year. The bill passed both the House and Senate with no opposition, and no veto threat had come from the White House.

So when Obama's veto came one Friday night last July — on the last day for him to sign or veto the legislation — it took lawmakers by surprise. It was the 11th of Obama's 12 vetoes.

the whole concept of limiting what a person can earn when they are a private citizen, is simply utterly ridiculous....R's refuse to cap CEO pay.....what hypocrites, no?

Regardless, even if they passed a bill, it can't be retroactive....when Obama retired and all other presidents still alive, they were owed a pension according to the laws on the books at the time of their hire.

Tell that to Vets that have had their pension terms changed after enlistment.

Nope. Where did you dream that crap up?

The Constitution says that you cannot change their pay, but had no mention of a pension which is a 20th century invention.
In the United States, the Congress is prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 3 of Article I, Section 9 of the United States Constitution.

Yet they make tax laws retroactive all the time, go figure. But it would only be an ex post facto law if they used previous income to claw back paid benefits, I don't think that will be the case. It would only apply to income and benefits after the implementation.

An ordinary person on social security loses income when he or she works. Politicians should be no different.

I worked in the military and private sector for most of my life under Social Security. Now, I work in a state with a retirement plan for teachers and if I take that retirement, they can legally reduce the social security I earned from the ages of 17 through 47.

Is that fair?

Nope.

Not just no but HELL NO!

He served for eight years regardless of what he and his policies did to the nation. He earned his pension regardless of whether he is now earning $400,000 per speech or $4.00 per speech.

He and his family are entitled to all the security necessary to fully protect them, regardless of the cost.

Few if anyone has a lower opinion of the Obama administration than me. Nonetheless, regardless of what I or anyone else thinks about him. We made an agreement and we are bound to keep our word.

If Congress want's something to do, pass repeal and replace, tax reform, build the fence, pass TERM LIMITS and repeal the 17th Amendment.

Then they can take the rest of the year off.

Forum List

Back