Obama's OVERTIME OVERHUAL

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I may not agree with this being an executive order, in fact I am 100% against it. But I 100% support the measure itself.
It is waaaay past time that low-level managers, many working 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day be compensated for the time worked rather than salary.
Salary workers were designed to have more than one compensation level. You have the base pay, but usually you might also have significant profit sharing, company vehicles, preferred health plans that may even be paid 100% by the company etc. Some kind of incentive pay structure above the base.
Most of these low level managers do not have such deals. Especially restaurants. I simply do not understand how anyone could be against a measure that provides compensation for time worked.

Obama to reportedly order expansion of overtime pay for millions of workers | Fox News

Meh. Okay, I don't care that much one way or the other. When I was a salaried manager I would never have thought to ask for this, my attention was on doing a good job at all times and moving up, and that's what happened. Crazy me.

I do note that this is another tidbit we can toss on top of the growing pile of new costs and regulations for business. Whatever, they're all rich and greedy and they didn't build that, fuck 'em.

These same salaried managers are losing their )as the OP called them "preferred health plans ") due to Obama!

Meh. Okay, I don't care that much one way or the other. When I was a salaried manager I would never have thought to ask for this, my attention was on doing a good job at all times and moving up, and that's what happened. Crazy me.

I do note that this is another tidbit we can toss on top of the growing pile of new costs and regulations for business. Whatever, they're all rich and greedy and they didn't build that, fuck 'em.

I think it comes down to abuse of the FLSA regulations. If during a crunch period or busy part of the year, managers are expected to work extra hours ...then I am OK with it

But if upper management takes advantage of the compensation rules and requires managers to work 60 hour weeks as part of the job requirement, then they should be compensated

I don't see where he gets the authority to make the law, that worries me far more than someone who doesn't like their arrangement between private parties. What would help more than anything is increasing the economy. It wasn't long ago that employers had to compete for quality help.

I think it comes down to abuse of the FLSA regulations. If during a crunch period or busy part of the year, managers are expected to work extra hours ...then I am OK with it

But if upper management takes advantage of the compensation rules and requires managers to work 60 hour weeks as part of the job requirement, then they should be compensated

I can see that. The potential problem here, though, is that regulations tend to be monolithic, one-size-fits-all. So in your example, crunch periods and busy times fall could fall under the regs with the rest of the year.

I can see that. The potential problem here, though, is that regulations tend to be monolithic, one-size-fits-all. So in your example, crunch periods and busy times fall could fall under the regs with the rest of the year.

In my experience, most companies take care of their low level managers. They either provide bonus pay or comp time for excessive hours worked

But the times they are a changing and the opportunities to abuse employess just because you can are too good to pass up for some companies

Exactly.
I have been salaried since....oh...1988 I think. From then to maybe 1995 or so I did not have any pay above the base. I was working 60 hours plus. It wasn't until I had an offer elsewhere and turned in my notice did I receive further incentive.
Today I have 4 levels of compensation.
Base pay
Profit sharing
Incentive goals
Shares
Plus my health insurance is paid for.
I do not expect low level managers to get all of this, that would be insane. But they should receive some incentive package, bonus structure when they regularly work beyond 40 hours. It is only fair. Especially in the many, many corporations where senior management is in the 7 to 8 figure compensation level, and they employ an army of "managers" making what amounts to minimum wage when you consider hours worked.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me in the Constitution Obama gets the power to issue EO's outside his duty to "Faithfully execute" the Laws Congress Legislates.

Obama, as many before him, has violated his Oath Of Office, but he has taken it to a new level and is the one to use to bring it all to a halt!

I'm still waiting for someone to show me in the Constitution Obama gets the power to issue EO's outside his duty to "Faithfully execute" the Laws Congress Legislates.

Obama, as many before him, has violated his Oath Of Office, but he has taken it to a new level and is the one to use to bring it all to a halt!

Ask George Washington

Maybe he can point it out for you

I may not agree with this being an executive order, in fact I am 100% against it. But I 100% support the measure itself.
It is waaaay past time that low-level managers, many working 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day be compensated for the time worked rather than salary.
Salary workers were designed to have more than one compensation level. You have the base pay, but usually you might also have significant profit sharing, company vehicles, preferred health plans that may even be paid 100% by the company etc. Some kind of incentive pay structure above the base.
Most of these low level managers do not have such deals. Especially restaurants. I simply do not understand how anyone could be against a measure that provides compensation for time worked.

Obama to reportedly order expansion of overtime pay for millions of workers | Fox News
Late to the thread. Sorry.
Just found thinkprogress in my email.

I get ya on the 'executive order' part but Dept of Labor has been making law on its own for some time now.

I am one of the midlevel managers that has lost his "preferred" health care plan and saddled with the Bronze plan.
Also, at the company I work for, the assistant manager's salary is divided out and calculated into our daily labor.
So we are scheduled just like a cook or dishwasher for entire shifts alone in the kitchen.
A light work week for me is 55hrs. Mostly around 60.
So if I'm going to be scheduled as labor they can Damn well pay me as labor

Forum List

Back