Official USMB Shutdown Showdown Thread --- Week of Jan 14th, 2019

Is the political game of chicken being played by BOTH parties worth the lives of a few diabetics?

• Yes, never give in on this wall issue

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, both parties should compromise and get the workers back to work

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Trump should declare a national emergency and resolve the issue

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
It's amazing how childish liberals are acting. They just CAN'T let Trump win on his main campaign promise. Damn the USA, damn the citizens, damn the laws of our country. They hate Trump so much they'll put party ahead of country. And believe me, America is taking notice.

It's amazing how childish liberals are acting. They just CAN'T let Trump win on his main campaign promise. Damn the USA, damn the citizens, damn the laws of our country. They hate Trump so much they'll put party ahead of country. And believe me, America is taking notice.
Trump promised to make Mexico pay for it repeatedly

He has already failed at that promise.

Democrats refuse to negotiate or even discuss border security, the shut down is 100% on them.
LOLOL

ā€œIf we donā€™t get what we want, one way or the other, whether itā€™s through you, through military, through anything you want to call, I will shut down the government. And I am proud. Iā€™ll tell you what. I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. Because the people of this country donā€™t want criminals and people that have lots of problems and drugs pouring into our country. So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. Iā€™m not going to blame you for it. The last time you shut it down, it didnā€™t work. I will take the mantle of shutting down. Iā€™m going to shut it down for border security.ā€ ~ Donald Trump, owner of the shutdown

Actions speak louder than words.

Trump: Wanted 25 Billion. now asking for 5.7 billion.

Liberals: Said they would not give him a dime. 3 weeks later, they say they won't give him a dime.

Trump invites liberals to the White House yesterday to talk. None showed up.

Who wants to negotiate and who doesn't?
And Democrats agreed to the $25 billion when Trump said no.

No, it was not for a wall. it was for generic "border protection" whatever the fuck that means.

If they offered him 25 billion why not give him 25 billion? Why not give him 5 billion? The truth is liberals won't negotiate at all yet are blaming Trump. Both sides have to give. Trump is down to a quarter of what he asked for. Liberals haven't budged at all.

This is no longer on Trump. It's all on the left. Liberals are acting like the whiney cry babies that they are. Either they get their way or they'll take their ball and go home. Sorry. It doesn't work that way.
It was for exactly what he wants to build now...

SEC. ll. BORDER SECURITY TRUST FUND.
(a) ESTABLISHMENT.ā€”There is established in the Treasury of the United States a trust fund to be known as the Border Security Trust Fund (in this section referred to as the ā€˜ā€˜Trust Fundā€™ā€™), consisting of amounts appropriated to the Trust Fund under subsection (b) and any amounts that may be credited to the Trust Fund under subsection (c).
(b) APPROPRIATION.ā€”There are appropriated to the Trust Fund $25,000,000,000, to remain available until expended.
(c) INVESTMENT OF AMOUNTS.ā€”
(1) IN GENERAL.ā€”The Secretary of the Treasury shall invest such portion of the Trust Fund as is not required to meet cur- rent withdrawals in interest-bearing obligations of the United States or in obligations guaranteed as to both principal and interest by the United States.
(2) INTEREST AND PROCEEDS.ā€”The interest on, and the proceeds from the sale or redemption of, any obligations held in the Trust Fund shall be credited to and form a part of the Trust Fund.
(d) AVAILABILITY OF AMOUNTS.ā€”
(1) IN GENERAL.ā€”Subject to paragraph (2), amounts in the Trust Fund shall be available to the Secretary of Homeland Security, without further appropriation, forā€”
(A) construction of not fewer than 700 miles of reinforced fencing, excluding vehicle barriers;
(B) installation of additional physical barriers;
(C) construction and maintenance of access and patrol roads;
(D) lighting;
(E) an interlocking surveillance camera system;
(F) remote sensors; and
(G) the purchase from the Secretary of Defense of surplus aircraft and unmanned air- craft systems.
(2) LIMITATION.ā€”Not more than $5,000,000,000 of the amount in the Trust Fund may be obligated and expended in any fiscal year.

Because when you pay ransom to kidnappers...they do it again and again

This is not the first Republican initiated shutdown the Dems have been through

They know how to respond to Republican extortion

From the Daily Caller, an anonymous alleged employee of the administration*.

The lapse in appropriations is more than a battle over a wall. It is an opportunity to strip wasteful government agencies for good. On an average day, roughly 15 percent of the employees around me are exceptional patriots serving their country. I wish I could give competitive salaries to them and no one else. But 80 percent feel no pressure to produce results. If they donā€™t feel like doing what they are told, they donā€™t...

But President Trump can end this abuse. Senior officials can reprioritize during an extended shutdown, focus on valuable results and weed out the saboteurs. We do not want most employees to return, because we are working better without them. Sure, we empathize with families making tough financial decisions, like mine, and just like private citizens who have to find other work and bring competitive value every day, while paying more than a third of their salary in federal taxes.

I believe every word of this came from an administration* official. The contempt for public service is pure modern Republicanism. The superiority complex about how families "like mine" are scrapping to make ends meet is pure modern conservatism. And the paranoia about weeding out saboteurs is pure Trumpian boob-bait. This is bullying dressed up as empathy.

I don't know where the people who work with Native Americans, and especially those who work in the various health clinics that service our indigenous peoples, rank on this person's sliding scale of essential employees. Maybe this person thinks the people who work those jobs are part of the 15 percent of federal employees worth their salaries. But, in any case, those particular employees are in deep trouble because of the shutdown. From the AP:

In New Mexico, a lone police officer patrolled a Native American reservation larger in size than Houston on a shift that normally has three people, responding to multiple car wrecks during a snow storm, emergency calls and requests for welfare checks. Elsewhere, federally funded road maintenance programs are operating with skeleton crews and struggling to keep roads clear on remote reservations. Tribal members said they can't get referrals for specialty care from the Indian Health Service if their conditions aren't life-threatening.

Native American tribes rely heavily on funding guaranteed by treaties with the U.S., acts of Congress and other agreements for public safety, social services, education and health care for their members. Because of the shutdown, tribal officials say some programs are on the brink of collapse and others are surviving with tribes filling funding gaps.

About 9,000 Indian Health Service employees, or 60 percent, are working without pay and 35 percent are working with funding streams not affected by the shutdown, according to the Health and Human Services department's shutdown plan. That includes staff providing direct care to patients. The agency delivers health care to about 2.2 million Native Americans and Alaska Natives.

The agency gets money from the Interior Department, whose budget is snared by the shutdown. For many tribal members, IHS is the only option for health care unless they want to pay out of pocket or have other insurance. Benefits under programs like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are unaffected by the partial government shutdown.

And even more tragic is the effect in Montana on the search for dozens of Native women who have gone missing. The United States government is letting Native peoples down. That's truly hard to imagine.
Just read that piece....How layabouts in the bureaucracy perpetuate their "jobs" is even more insidious than I had imagined.

Though I have heard that there's a reg which says that any bureaucrat furloughed for linger than 30 days can have his position reviewed and, if deemed duplicative or otherwise unnecessary, that position can be eliminated.

If this is true, the answer to your question is a great big YES.

Democrats refuse to negotiate or even discuss border security, the shut down is 100% on them.
LOLOL

ā€œIf we donā€™t get what we want, one way or the other, whether itā€™s through you, through military, through anything you want to call, I will shut down the government. And I am proud. Iā€™ll tell you what. I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. Because the people of this country donā€™t want criminals and people that have lots of problems and drugs pouring into our country. So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. Iā€™m not going to blame you for it. The last time you shut it down, it didnā€™t work. I will take the mantle of shutting down. Iā€™m going to shut it down for border security.ā€ ~ Donald Trump, owner of the shutdown

Actions speak louder than words.

Trump: Wanted 25 Billion. now asking for 5.7 billion.

Liberals: Said they would not give him a dime. 3 weeks later, they say they won't give him a dime.

Trump invites liberals to the White House yesterday to talk. None showed up.

Who wants to negotiate and who doesn't?
And Democrats agreed to the $25 billion when Trump said no.

No, it was not for a wall. it was for generic "border protection" whatever the fuck that means.

If they offered him 25 billion why not give him 25 billion? Why not give him 5 billion? The truth is liberals won't negotiate at all yet are blaming Trump. Both sides have to give. Trump is down to a quarter of what he asked for. Liberals haven't budged at all.

This is no longer on Trump. It's all on the left. Liberals are acting like the whiney cry babies that they are. Either they get their way or they'll take their ball and go home. Sorry. It doesn't work that way.
It was for exactly what he wants to build now...

SEC. ll. BORDER SECURITY TRUST FUND.
(a) ESTABLISHMENT.ā€”There is established in the Treasury of the United States a trust fund to be known as the Border Security Trust Fund (in this section referred to as the ā€˜ā€˜Trust Fundā€™ā€™), consisting of amounts appropriated to the Trust Fund under subsection (b) and any amounts that may be credited to the Trust Fund under subsection (c).
(b) APPROPRIATION.ā€”There are appropriated to the Trust Fund $25,000,000,000, to remain available until expended.
(c) INVESTMENT OF AMOUNTS.ā€”
(1) IN GENERAL.ā€”The Secretary of the Treasury shall invest such portion of the Trust Fund as is not required to meet cur- rent withdrawals in interest-bearing obligations of the United States or in obligations guaranteed as to both principal and interest by the United States.
(2) INTEREST AND PROCEEDS.ā€”The interest on, and the proceeds from the sale or redemption of, any obligations held in the Trust Fund shall be credited to and form a part of the Trust Fund.
(d) AVAILABILITY OF AMOUNTS.ā€”
(1) IN GENERAL.ā€”Subject to paragraph (2), amounts in the Trust Fund shall be available to the Secretary of Homeland Security, without further appropriation, forā€”
(A) construction of not fewer than 700 miles of reinforced fencing, excluding vehicle barriers;
(B) installation of additional physical barriers;
(C) construction and maintenance of access and patrol roads;
(D) lighting;
(E) an interlocking surveillance camera system;
(F) remote sensors; and
(G) the purchase from the Secretary of Defense of surplus aircraft and unmanned air- craft systems.
(2) LIMITATION.ā€”Not more than $5,000,000,000 of the amount in the Trust Fund may be obligated and expended in any fiscal year.

Fencing is not a border wall. AND it was over an unspecified period. Too broad and he knew it. It was also tied to DACA which is unconstitutional. I don't know if he is offering DACA now, but way back almost 2 years ago when that 25 billion was offered, he was against DACA thus refused the money. He refused dirty money, I can't blame him for that.

Trump wants something that will actually work. Wetbacks are flying over our "fence." He wants a functional metal slat wall.

And if they wanted to give it to him, why not end this and put 800K people back to work and give him 25billion?

You STILL haven't explained why if they offered it once. why not offer it again?

Last edited:
...and....
Conservatives are conflicted. One commented that it has to be a lie because the official is anonymous, and the other said it just doesnā€™t matter.
why not fund the wall and call it a day? you didn't care when billions went to other countries for support. why now? oh yeah TDS. keep it shutdown until the 5.7B makes it on a budget. we're cool with the government staying shutdown. are you? at some point someone will need to blink and it won't be trump.

BTW, the dems know what it will take to reopen the government and are doing nothing. and you don't care. it seems you don't care others are not getting paid.

1. Because, having wasted billions on an unnecessary and expensive wall, at a time when the US is running the largest deficits in history, and when there are major issues in the country, like infrastructure spending, education and retraining, and opiod abuse that are not even being mentioned let alone addressed is very foolish, and unwise.

2. Because the Trump Administration is asking for a blank cheque. They haven't done a feasability study, provided cost estimates, a timetable, an environmental impact study, or any of the other standard practices that a member of government must provide when asking for a major appropriation like this. No one can just say to Congress "Give me $5 billion. I want to build a wall". No one. Not even the President.

3. Because the American public just voted a resounding "NO" to the border policies of Donald J. Trump, including building tent cities on the border, detaining asylum seekers at the public's expense.

4, Just the cost estimates of the cost of holding the people currently in detention along the Southern Border until their cases are heard are $5 billion. And holding these people violates their Constitutional rights.

5. And because one should never give into a child's temper tantrum. It makes it all that much more difficult to get him to behave properly the next time he decides to pitch a fit.
their wasting 5.7 Billion with the shutdown, that doesn't seem to be bothering you at all. so excuse me, ahem, you're just confused.

No, I'm not confused.

What Trump is doing is violating every Constitutional norm, every principle of good goverance, and every shred of morality, decency, and humanity possible. This inhumanity cannot be allowed to stand unchallenged. This is a battle for the soul of the country, and you can't put a price on that.
oh please. such dramatics. make a point and let's debate. don't shame post me. say something of value or fk off.

They aren't responding. The democrats turned down a meeting yesterday, not the President. That looks bad on their part. Nancy and Chuckie get their paychecks. Looks bad.

Do you stick around meetings after someone tells you "I won't make a deal with you?"

This is the way negotiations work, seems most people know that.

One side...will you give me what I want...

Other side...No.

Then the true negotiations start.

Have you never been in sales?

Yes, that's how they start, but that meeting wsn't the start, and your post assumes that at some point Democrats will get off the "no" but it doesn't appear that's going to happen does it.

This was the FIRST meeting with the new Speaker of the House. This was the START of negotiations with her. You don't say "Give me what I want" and then leave the first meeting when the answer is "No".
she came back with nothing. hey shame poster, to negotiate is to offer something else. No isn't something else. too fking funny. you don't want a negotiation and neither does she. shut down.

Never give in to terrorists.

Your "terrorists" are "freedom fighters" to the other half of this country. And don't regurgitate the false statement that you're a "majority", because it's BS.
Oh? It's not true that Democrats won a majority of seats in the last election?

Some 400 seats and the federal and state level.

"Some 400 seats"?! Oh! You gotta come up with some proof of that.

There probably wasn't even that many seats available and Democrats made a poor showing. So proof of 400 seats=-?

Or you're just lying out your ass..
No, Mary, youā€™re just an imbecile.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/about-state-legislatures/partisan-composition.aspx

Look at the difference from 2017 to 2018.

Oh hey, that's kinda neat! Check this out:

2009_Leg_Party_Control_map.gif

partisan2017.png

now put up 2019

They aren't responding. The democrats turned down a meeting yesterday, not the President. That looks bad on their part. Nancy and Chuckie get their paychecks. Looks bad.

What is the proper response to extortion?

Not to mention 30 democrats having a party at the resort while 800000 people don't get a paycheck because they refuse to negotiate with our president.

Now is NOT a good time to be a democrat.

Do you stick around meetings after someone tells you "I won't make a deal with you?"

This is the way negotiations work, seems most people know that.

One side...will you give me what I want...

Other side...No.

Then the true negotiations start.

Have you never been in sales?

Yes, that's how they start, but that meeting wsn't the start, and your post assumes that at some point Democrats will get off the "no" but it doesn't appear that's going to happen does it.

This was the FIRST meeting with the new Speaker of the House. This was the START of negotiations with her. You don't say "Give me what I want" and then leave the first meeting when the answer is "No".

Why on Earth are you Democrats so dishonest? Yes, okay this was the first official meeting since Pelosi was reelected as Speaker of the House, but no one believes she was going to suddenly say "okay I'm Speaker now, time to work with Trump" especially when she had been making public statements every day since being elected that she would never give $1 for a border wall.

If you TRULY wanted to see compromise you would be asking Nancy "Why are you not negotiating?"
She has no reason to compromise yet on the wall. She must have read Art of the Deal. Trump's job approval ratings has been falling like a rock since the shutdown started. Pelosi has given him everything else in his request except the wall.
does she want the government open or not? that is a want. in order to get that accomplished she needs to give something. again, your brainwashed mind doesn't understand negotiating 101. go fking figure.

Your "terrorists" are "freedom fighters" to the other half of this country. And don't regurgitate the false statement that you're a "majority", because it's BS.

There probably wasn't even that many seats available and Democrats made a poor showing. So proof of 400 seats=-?

partisan2017.png

now put up 2019

There is no 2019, this is January.

partisan2017.png

now put up 2019

There is no 2019, this is January.

And? the control of each state was determined in Nov of 2018.

From the Daily Caller, an anonymous alleged employee of the administration*.

The lapse in appropriations is more than a battle over a wall. It is an opportunity to strip wasteful government agencies for good. On an average day, roughly 15 percent of the employees around me are exceptional patriots serving their country. I wish I could give competitive salaries to them and no one else. But 80 percent feel no pressure to produce results. If they donā€™t feel like doing what they are told, they donā€™t...

But President Trump can end this abuse. Senior officials can reprioritize during an extended shutdown, focus on valuable results and weed out the saboteurs. We do not want most employees to return, because we are working better without them. Sure, we empathize with families making tough financial decisions, like mine, and just like private citizens who have to find other work and bring competitive value every day, while paying more than a third of their salary in federal taxes.

I believe every word of this came from an administration* official. The contempt for public service is pure modern Republicanism. The superiority complex about how families "like mine" are scrapping to make ends meet is pure modern conservatism. And the paranoia about weeding out saboteurs is pure Trumpian boob-bait. This is bullying dressed up as empathy.

I don't know where the people who work with Native Americans, and especially those who work in the various health clinics that service our indigenous peoples, rank on this person's sliding scale of essential employees. Maybe this person thinks the people who work those jobs are part of the 15 percent of federal employees worth their salaries. But, in any case, those particular employees are in deep trouble because of the shutdown. From the AP:

In New Mexico, a lone police officer patrolled a Native American reservation larger in size than Houston on a shift that normally has three people, responding to multiple car wrecks during a snow storm, emergency calls and requests for welfare checks. Elsewhere, federally funded road maintenance programs are operating with skeleton crews and struggling to keep roads clear on remote reservations. Tribal members said they can't get referrals for specialty care from the Indian Health Service if their conditions aren't life-threatening.

Native American tribes rely heavily on funding guaranteed by treaties with the U.S., acts of Congress and other agreements for public safety, social services, education and health care for their members. Because of the shutdown, tribal officials say some programs are on the brink of collapse and others are surviving with tribes filling funding gaps.

About 9,000 Indian Health Service employees, or 60 percent, are working without pay and 35 percent are working with funding streams not affected by the shutdown, according to the Health and Human Services department's shutdown plan. That includes staff providing direct care to patients. The agency delivers health care to about 2.2 million Native Americans and Alaska Natives.

The agency gets money from the Interior Department, whose budget is snared by the shutdown. For many tribal members, IHS is the only option for health care unless they want to pay out of pocket or have other insurance. Benefits under programs like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are unaffected by the partial government shutdown.

And even more tragic is the effect in Montana on the search for dozens of Native women who have gone missing. The United States government is letting Native peoples down. That's truly hard to imagine.

There are definitely some government employees affected by this shutdown, perhaps many of those you mentioned, who have jobs that are important. However there is no doubt in any reasonable personā€™s mind that the federal government is fat, and by and large overpaid compared to the output of a private sector job. The reality is that itā€™s unavoidable. There is literally no way you can expect similar productivity in a competitive environment to the results in a government job. Waste and inefficiency flourish where there is no profit motive.

Was he a Dem then?? Maybe
Probably. Many Democrats have left the party. James Woods was a Democrat until the impeachment of Clinton.
Well I've seen a 37% approval rating for Trump so I think he's running out of friends People are wising up to the blabbermouthed con man
his approval rating is higher than obammy's this far along. hmmmm why's that? what is the approval rating of congress?
According to Gallup, Trump has the lowest presidential approval rating of any president they have polled back to Truman at this point in their presidency (2 yrs into their 1st term).
Trump 38%
Obama 48%
Bush 63%
Clinton 54%
HW Bush 80%
Reagan 49%
Carter 55%
Ford 45%
Nixon 61%
Johnson 70%
Kennedy 79%
Eisenhower 71%
Truman 51%
Presidential Job Approval Center

Honest question.

Do you not agree that the media's CONSTANT bashing plays a role in that?

That's not saying Trump is doing good or bad , rather it's just a simple question about the impact of the media's role in polls. Obama was President the media couldn't stop gushing, no matter what he did, no matter what powers he stole for himself , no matter what controversies were surrounding him.

In contrast, Trump gets bashed no matter what. Hell , it was national news for 3 days when he ate 2 scoops of ice cream.

IOW national polls have nothing to do with how effective a President is.
obammy could have killed someone and the media would have written how eloquently he accomplished that killing.

Thanks to Deficit Donald doubling the federal deficit and exploding big government spending, our country and our GDP are much more dependent on government spending than before he took office.

The government is increasing its debt?

Wow, I did not see that coming.

Can't wait for the alternative Left wing snowflakes.

Free college and health care anyone?

Forum List

Back