Official USMB Shutdown Showdown Thread --- Week of Jan 14th, 2019

Is the political game of chicken being played by BOTH parties worth the lives of a few diabetics?

• Yes, never give in on this wall issue

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, both parties should compromise and get the workers back to work

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Trump should declare a national emergency and resolve the issue

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
This is the way negotiations work, seems most people know that.

One side...will you give me what I want...

Other side...No.

Then the true negotiations start.

Have you never been in sales?

Yes, that's how they start, but that meeting wsn't the start, and your post assumes that at some point Democrats will get off the "no" but it doesn't appear that's going to happen does it.

This was the FIRST meeting with the new Speaker of the House. This was the START of negotiations with her. You don't say "Give me what I want" and then leave the first meeting when the answer is "No".

Why on Earth are you Democrats so dishonest? Yes, okay this was the first official meeting since Pelosi was reelected as Speaker of the House, but no one believes she was going to suddenly say "okay I'm Speaker now, time to work with Trump" especially when she had been making public statements every day since being elected that she would never give $1 for a border wall.

If you TRULY wanted to see compromise you would be asking Nancy "Why are you not negotiating?"

Did Trump ask her what she would give? Did he ask her anything other than "Do I get my wall". That's not a negotiation. That's a terrorist demand.

Furthermore, by walking out of the meeting, Trump looks weak. Now he's got no way out. If he goes and asks the questions he SHOULD have asked before walking out like a spoiled child. He's given in.

I can't take someone who calls not wanting to deal with a woman who refuses to negotiate terrorism seriously.

You are a clown and dismissed.
Screw trump and his bs art of the deal and btw you shouldn't talk down to your betters

Yes, that's how they start, but that meeting wsn't the start, and your post assumes that at some point Democrats will get off the "no" but it doesn't appear that's going to happen does it.

This was the FIRST meeting with the new Speaker of the House. This was the START of negotiations with her. You don't say "Give me what I want" and then leave the first meeting when the answer is "No".

Why on Earth are you Democrats so dishonest? Yes, okay this was the first official meeting since Pelosi was reelected as Speaker of the House, but no one believes she was going to suddenly say "okay I'm Speaker now, time to work with Trump" especially when she had been making public statements every day since being elected that she would never give $1 for a border wall.

If you TRULY wanted to see compromise you would be asking Nancy "Why are you not negotiating?"

Did Trump ask her what she would give? Did he ask her anything other than "Do I get my wall". That's not a negotiation. That's a terrorist demand.

Furthermore, by walking out of the meeting, Trump looks weak. Now he's got no way out. If he goes and asks the questions he SHOULD have asked before walking out like a spoiled child. He's given in.

I can't take someone who calls not wanting to deal with a woman who refuses to negotiate terrorism seriously.

You are a clown and dismissed.
Screw trump and his bs art of the deal and btw you shouldn't talk down to your betters

Not only did Trump not write the book, I am betting he has never read it.

Democrats refuse to negotiate or even discuss border security, the shut down is 100% on them.
LOLOL

“If we don’t get what we want, one way or the other, whether it’s through you, through military, through anything you want to call, I will shut down the government. And I am proud. I’ll tell you what. I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. Because the people of this country don’t want criminals and people that have lots of problems and drugs pouring into our country. So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it. The last time you shut it down, it didn’t work. I will take the mantle of shutting down. I’m going to shut it down for border security.” ~ Donald Trump, owner of the shutdown

Don't spending bills have to originate in the House of Representatives?

Hmmm.
One has already passed the House dummy.
You're right.

House Passes Bill With Money For Trump Wall, Increasing Likelihood Of A Shutdown

The house did pass a bill with all the border funding for the barrier in it. Mitch should bring it to the floor of the Senate and call for an immediate vote to reopen the government.
That was for border security but not wall
ycqqv7nyhpa21.jpg

Dems gain nothing by giving in

It only encourages Trump to shut down Government whenever he doesn’t get his way

But America gains border security and that is what pisses the asshole Democrats off.

The last thing those butt pirates want is to curtail the number of Democrat voting welfare shithead Illegals crossing the border. They will have no future voting bade.

It only encourages Trump to shut down Government whenever he doesn’t get his way
Never give in to terrorists.

Your "terrorists" are "freedom fighters" to the other half of this country. And don't regurgitate the false statement that you're a "majority", because it's BS.
Oh? It's not true that Democrats won a majority of seats in the last election?

Some 400 seats and the federal and state level.

"Some 400 seats"?! Oh! You gotta come up with some proof of that.

There probably wasn't even that many seats available and Democrats made a poor showing. So proof of 400 seats=-?

Or you're just lying out your ass..
No, Mary, you’re just an imbecile.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/about-state-legislatures/partisan-composition.aspx

Look at the difference from 2017 to 2018.

Trump can't give in or he will doom himself and his party.

Sorry Libs. Trumps on the right side on this one. He campaigned and won on building the wall. He's compromised, you haven't. He wants to protect America, you want to protect gang members and illegals. You've passed wall legislation in the past, yet won't now because you hate this president. That won't fly well.

The longer this goes on the more it solidifies Trump in 2020 and a red wave as well. So keep it up. I'm loving every minute.
LOLOL

He’s not right just because he campaigned on this. Most Americans are against it.

Sure they do. The recognize border security is important and their followers will as well.

Trump hasn't shut down Government.

Pelosi and Schumer have. All they need to do is approve the 5 Billion for the wall and shazam. The Govt. is back up and all those Govt. leeches will get back pay.

The wall they both supported in years past.

Ain't rocket science.

Why in the world would the Democrats cave in to a gift like this?

They're in no hurry here, zero, none.

It is Trumps Government

He is chief executive. Any damage is being done to the White House. He can open his government any time he wants

Sure they do. The recognize border security is important and their followers will as well.

Pelosi and Schumer have. All they need to do is approve the 5 Billion for the wall and shazam. The Govt. is back up and all those Govt. leeches will get back pay.

Ain't rocket science.
Wrong on all accounts. Dems have endorsed border security. They have endorsed immigration reform. They just realize a wall is a waste

Trump said he was proud to shut down Government.

McConnell says that he doesn't want to waste his time sending a bill to Trump that he won't sign.

Guess McConnell forgot that if the Senate and the House pass the bill with a 2/3rds majority (and there is bipartisan support to reopen the government), it would be veto proof and we could reopen the government.
The GOP doesn't want to override Trump, they want the wall. The dems are not in charge of the government, they have 1/2 of 1/3 of the Federal government, so they need to compromise. If not Trump should call a national emergency.

Yup and with another 15,000 assholes headed our way it is a National Emergency.

The nation's farmers might be the one's that convenience one side to cave.

Most have not gotten their trade mitigation payments due to not having completed harvest and submitting the paperwork before the shutdown.

USDA backed loans for seeds, feed, and equipment have all stopped, so many farmers will have to look elsewhere to be able to buy seed for planting.

On Jan 11th the report for production and excess corn, soy, rice, hay and other crops was due out. This is the report that farmers use to plan the coming season, which seed to by, corn or soy? Now they will soon have to buy blind which will likely hurt them even more in the long run as the price on one commodity or the other will probably crash.

Crop insurance (which they pay for) payments are not going out, so those that had bad years will not get their money till this is over.

Ain't rocket science.
Wrong on all accounts. Dems have endorsed border security. They have endorsed immigration reform. They just realize a wall is a waste

Trump said he was proud to shut down Government.

Wrong. The same wall they wanted in years past is the wall Trump wants.

Can't be in favor of border security now you don't want that same wall. Oh and letting thousands in on DACA isn't to smart either. Those illegals should never have been allowed in the US.

Oh and you guys love Sanctuary cities and not allowing ICE to do its job. Oh wait. According to idiots like you ICE should be dissolved. We have over 11 million illegals in this country that cost we the tax payer billions every year yet that AOK with you.

I couldn't care less about the leeches who suck off the Govt. tit. Unlike you I work for a living.

Oh and those leeches will get back pay when this is over. That's something that no one in the Private Sector would get.

You sure are a hypocrite.

Last edited:

Never give in to terrorists.

Your "terrorists" are "freedom fighters" to the other half of this country. And don't regurgitate the false statement that you're a "majority", because it's BS.
Oh? It's not true that Democrats won a majority of seats in the last election?

Some 400 seats and the federal and state level.

"Some 400 seats"?! Oh! You gotta come up with some proof of that.

There probably wasn't even that many seats available and Democrats made a poor showing. So proof of 400 seats=-?

Or you're just lying out your ass..
No, Mary, you’re just an imbecile.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/about-state-legislatures/partisan-composition.aspx

Look at the difference from 2017 to 2018.

Oh hey, that's kinda neat! Check this out:

2009_Leg_Party_Control_map.gif

partisan2017.png

D-Schumer declared publicly on Day 1 of the Trump Presidency that the Democrats were 100% committed to 'Resistance', 'Obstruction', and denying the newly-elected President and the Republicans controlling the majority in the House and Senate any 'WIN' (legislative accomplishment), no matter how good it might be for the country /Americans, for the specific benefit of the Democratic Party.

For those too stupid to understand what that means, it means D-Schumer openly declared the Democrats were now - as of the election of Donald Trump as President - going to look out for what was best for themselves and the Democratic party, not the nation or the American people, which they deemed to consist of opposing everything they tried to accomplish while working to undermine the President of the United States and the United States Government.

For 2 years, they did exactly that. They were SO committed to denying the President and GOP of any 'WIN' that when they were offered DACA - everything they wanted - they refused to accept it, walked away from the table and their promise to Latinos that they would get DACA passed. They did so to deny the President and GOP of a political 'WIN' by being the ones to make DACA happen.

Now that Pelosi has taken the House, her commitment to opposing and denying the GOP and the President of any 'Political Win' has not lessened. As Speaker of the House she has held on to her 'Extremist Trump-Hating Agenda' so much that she refuses to come to the negotiating table.

Instead, she told the President that even if he gave her everything she wanted she would still not compromise in any way regarding funding for the wall.
Once again, proving NOT giving Trump a political 'Win' is more important than passing laws beneficial to the American people and ever her own supporters / Democrat Constituents, Pelosi again turned down the offer of DACA.

Instead she has guided the Democrats in the House to pass what amounts to her 'Hostage Crisis Demands' for opening up the US government, demanding the other 2/3rds of the Federal Government meet HER demands or the government will remain shutdown.

The United States Government is not a dictatorship, run by any single politician - NOT in the White House, NOT in the Senate, and certainly NOT in the HOUSE. Legislation is not passed through extortion or partisan extremist 'hostage demands'; yet, that is the approach Pelosi has taken as new Speaker of the House.

As such, Nancy Pelosi, and D-Schumer, completely OWN this shutdown.

President Trump has repeatedly signaled he is willing to negotiate and compromise with Pelosi; however, she refuses to come to the table. She just continues to make her 'Hostage Demands'. Hard as they try, even though they do, The President can NOT be blamed for the failure to get a deal done when Pelosi will not even come to the table. Nancy Pelosi is a FAILED Speaker of the House who is openly punishing the American people by keeping the government closed in order to score a political partisan victory against the President with the intent / objective of damaging the President's 2020 re-election chances, hoping his supporters will blame the President for not getting the wall funding passed despite her obstruction.

Let that sink in for a minute:

Nancy Pelosi, who voted for a wall in 2007 and 2013 - along with Schumer and Obama, is not only opposing that same wall funding now but is also holding the country hostage - in a shutdown that is hurting the American people - for the sole political purpose of hurting the President's chances of being re-elected in 2 years in hopes that a representative from her party will win.

PARTY over COUNTRY. PARTY over AMERICANS.

Forum List

Back