Official USMB Shutdown Showdown Thread --- Week of Jan 14th, 2019

Is the political game of chicken being played by BOTH parties worth the lives of a few diabetics?

• Yes, never give in on this wall issue

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, both parties should compromise and get the workers back to work

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Trump should declare a national emergency and resolve the issue

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Trump can't give in or he will doom himself and his party.

Sorry Libs. Trumps on the right side on this one. He campaigned and won on building the wall. He's compromised, you haven't. He wants to protect America, you want to protect gang members and illegals. You've passed wall legislation in the past, yet won't now because you hate this president. That won't fly well.

The longer this goes on the more it solidifies Trump in 2020 and a red wave as well. So keep it up. I'm loving every minute.

The estimate was not intended to become public. It was just leaked.
Their previous estimate was 0.1% every two weeks.

"The Trump administration now estimates that the cost of the government shutdown will be twice as steep as originally forecast.
The original estimate that the partial shutdown would subtract 0.1 percentage point from growth every two weeks has now been doubled to a 0.1 percentage point subtraction every week, according to an official who asked not to be named."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/source-white-house-believes-shutdown-will-be-twice-as-costly.html‬
You would think that would scare the shit out of Trump and Congress but no, it will be just lead to more finger pointing.

I'm convinced the only thing that is going to break the stalemate is a real national emergency, such as a terrorist attack or a disaster linked to the goverment shutdown.
seems simple put in the five bucks into the budget and hand it to the pres to sign. seems rather simple. as long as playing partisan politics isn't your thing.
I think the right compromise would be to give Trump the amount of money that the projects will need in this fiscal year. That's what normally happens in a budget.

There is no way that he needs 5.8 billion this fiscal year. He certainly is not going to build his 235 miles of wall in 7 or 8 months, probably not during his term of office. During his first two years in office, Trump has not build a single mile of the new designed wall. He has replaced 40 miles of reinforced fences and a steel barrier built using the same design used 10 years ago. Construction has not started on any of the new wall sections, no land has been acquired, no contracts have been let, no land surveys have been done, and the thousands things that are needed to start a large federal project are still undone.

Trump would hate such a compromise and so would democrats which means it's probably a good compromise. However, we haven't reached the sufficient level of national pain yet for either side to consider a compromise.

Border Patrol is who came up with the $5.8B figure. It is they who said "in order to seriously stop illegal immigration, we need $X amount of money, and some of that needs to be specifically for building new fence where WE need it most"

Trump didn't just pull that figure out of his ass, he's not a Democrat.
5.8 billion is only and initial allocation to get the project started. A document that went to congress some months ago had a figure of 33 billion. However, Homeland Security said the total would be about 40 billion over 10 years to complete their border security project, whatever that entails. If Pelosi thought 5.8 billion was all Trump really wanted for his border security project, she might be more willing to negotiation. However, I don't see her negotiating until something pretty serious happens due to the shutdown such as a major disrupting in commercial aviation which is certainly going to happen eventually with both flight controls and the TSA not being paid. And when it does, there will be a House bill sent to the Senate in 24 hours granting pay for the TSA and flight controllers, daring Trump to turn it down.

Yeah and they don't care about the billions the illegals cost we tax payers every year either.
Tell that to small businesses in heavy military and civil service employee's. They are beginning to suffer.

Oh my I'm so sorry. They will all be paid back pay.

You ever get paid if you got furloughed??

Didn't think so.

Oh and Military will be paid.

The military IS being paid. They are not involved in the shutdown.

Not the coast guard trump nut licker.

Coast Guard goes without paychecks — first time military not paid during a shutdown

The Coast Guard is a part of Homeland Security. It is not the military except in time of war when it falls under the DoD.

If you want them to be the military, put them in the DoD with the other three branches.
The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times.
United States Coast Guard - Wikipedia

Sorry Libs. Trumps on the right side on this one. He campaigned and won on building the wall. He's compromised, you haven't. He wants to protect America, you want to protect gang members and illegals. You've passed wall legislation in the past, yet won't now because you hate this president. That won't fly well.

The longer this goes on the more it solidifies Trump in 2020 and a red wave as well. So keep it up. I'm loving every minute.

There could be riots with welfare getting cut off.

SrS bidness, that.

Sorry Libs. Trumps on the right side on this one. He campaigned and won on building the wall.

Actually he campaigned and ran on Mexico paying for the wall. Even trained his monkeys to call it out on cue, and punctuated it with "mark my words". Even said directly that the American people would NOT pay for the wall.

Now why did we mark words that were worthless?

Are you calling Rump a liar? Because if you are you're obviously just waking up and deserve a nice cuppa coffee. :coffee:

Bottom line, if it's "Democrats" preventing Americans from paying for a wall, then it would appear they're ensuring that Rump's campaign promise gets done.

Last edited:

Sorry Libs. Trumps on the right side on this one. He campaigned and won on building the wall.

Actually he campaigned and ran on Mexico paying for the wall. Even trained his monkeys to call it out on cue, and punctuated it with "mark my words". Even said directly that the American people would NOT pay for the wall.

Are you calling Rump a liar? Because if you are you're obviously just waking up and deserve a nice cuppa coffee. :coffee:

You're gonna hinge your existence on that? :cuckoo:

Orange man bad= has nice coffee?

Go fuck yourself, you miserable since 2016 prick.

You might would have some intelligence, but it's squandered with your Trump Derangement Syndrome.

It renders you into a babbling butthurt buffoon.

Orange man has no coffee, no. But I do, and anybody just now waking up gets one onna house.

Orange man would send out for coffee from McDonald's :puke: proving once again that money don't buy no class.

Orange man has no coffee, no. But I do, and anybody just now waking up gets one onna house.

Orange man would send out for coffee from McDonald's :puke: proving once again that money don't buy no class.

McDonald's has decent coffee.
:dunno:

It's not like mine, but..eh..

McDonald's has decent coffee.
:dunno:

It's not like mine, but..eh..

That was a direct reference to current events. If you missed it --------- here, enjoy.

Why in the world would the Democrats cave in to a gift like this?

They're in no hurry here, zero, none.

IT'S TIME FOR MITCH TO RELEASE THE HOSTAGES

TRUMP DOESN'T CARE

IT'S TIME FOR MITCH TO RELEASE THE HOSTAGES

TRUMP DOESN'T CARE
Neither do you.

However, the GOP should tack on 1 billion for every offer by the Democrats whose offer has no money for border security. That is border security with a barrier.

The hell I don't.

YOU don't care.

Trump doesn't care

McConnell is gutless

This is the way negotiations work, seems most people know that.

One side...will you give me what I want...

Other side...No.

Then the true negotiations start.

Have you never been in sales?

Yes, that's how they start, but that meeting wsn't the start, and your post assumes that at some point Democrats will get off the "no" but it doesn't appear that's going to happen does it.

This was the FIRST meeting with the new Speaker of the House. This was the START of negotiations with her. You don't say "Give me what I want" and then leave the first meeting when the answer is "No".

Why on Earth are you Democrats so dishonest? Yes, okay this was the first official meeting since Pelosi was reelected as Speaker of the House, but no one believes she was going to suddenly say "okay I'm Speaker now, time to work with Trump" especially when she had been making public statements every day since being elected that she would never give $1 for a border wall.

If you TRULY wanted to see compromise you would be asking Nancy "Why are you not negotiating?"
She has no reason to compromise yet on the wall. She must have read Art of the Deal. Trump's job approval ratings has been falling like a rock since the shutdown started. Pelosi has given him everything else in his request except the wall.

Yeah , heaven forbid she give on the wall becauss

A) It's obvious that the ONLY reason Dems oppose it is cuz TRUMP!!

and

B) It's also quite obvious that yes we DO need the perimeter security fence or wall or whatever you want to call it.
Dandy ,go back in time ,about 10 years and try to remember what your AH McConnell said about making Obama a 1 term president,,,,,,You don't like it when the shit blows back in your face???

Yeah and they don't care about the billions the illegals cost we tax payers every year either.

Tell that to small businesses in heavy military and civil service employee's. They are beginning to suffer.

Oh my I'm so sorry. They will all be paid back pay.

You ever get paid if you got furloughed??

Didn't think so.

Oh and Military will be paid.

The military IS being paid. They are not involved in the shutdown.

Not the coast guard trump nut licker.

Coast Guard goes without paychecks — first time military not paid during a shutdown

The Coast Guard is a part of Homeland Security. It is not the military except in time of war when it falls under the DoD.

If you want them to be the military, put them in the DoD with the other three branches.

Downer just shows what a biased fool she is. She has no idea what she's talking about and it shows with each and every post.

She's a fucking moron.

Forum List

Back