Ohio Governor tries to draw redistricting map that would cut away Jim Jordan's district

The population dummy, the more gov't the people need. Its the younger generation that matter most. Don't you get it, the progressives are more in charge.
Progressives who depend on more and more taxation.

well maybe the state doesn’t change anything after that every ten year count. Nobody is making them. Just a chance to check and see if the population changed

how often do you think we should check then? 20 years?
I don't think there should be an established time frame. The redrawing should take place when it is really needed.

good luck with that. MAGA world will revolt

DeWine is a doofus. The purpose of redistricting isn't to damage your own party.

Do you really think that the libs in California and New York government are going help the Republicans when they draw their new maps?

I don't think there should be an established time frame. The redrawing should take place when it is really needed.
i agree and that’s how it currently is. Nobody is required to redistrict after the population is counted.

we just take the count every ten years

No Republican governor would ever give Nancy Pelosi a majority just to spite Trump, that's just CRAZY.
1. Trump may be out of politics by 2024, so why surrender to the democrats?? That makes no sense.
2. Fake news is more like it, all Republicans like Jim Jordan, who is not afraid to speak up
3. Taking an OH district from the democrats makes much more sense
4. The mid-terms should be a GOP wipeout of dems who lost blue state seats via the census, not to mention normal mid-term losses for the party in-power.

From time to time, yes. When some areas would have significant decline or rise in population over the time.
Uh, did you guys sleep through your civics or history classes? The Constitution requires a census every 10 years. The states must redistrict based on that population. if someone objects, the courts are required to review the apportionment plans by the state to see if it was done fairly.

We have 6 Congress critters representing my state. Only one is a Democrat because his district include the major metro area which is filled with libtards, as they have Democrats in just about every city, and county elected offices. Outside his district, you would have an extremely difficult time finding a Democrat in the state outside of two other much smaller metro areas. Those areas do not have the population to be a district so it contains large rural areas where Democrats don't live.

Is this gerrymandering? To an extent it is, but the Democrats are happy because it will get them at least one Democrat in the House. The Republicans are happy because it limits the Dems to one seat, instead of giving them a decent shot at two or three districts by even more extensive gerrymandering.

i agree and that’s how it currently is. Nobody is required to redistrict after the population is counted.

we just take the count every ten years
Districts are required to have similar numbers of population. When I lived in Florida, my house was in the infamous and corrupt Corrine Brown's Democrat dominated district. Brown's district was thrown out by the courts in 1995 as a gerrymander based on race. It was one of the worst examples of gerrymandering in the nation. I went from her Democrat district to one covering the suburbs and rural areas which was Republican

Uh, did you guys sleep through your civics or history classes? The Constitution requires a census every 10 years. The states must redistrict based on that population. if someone objects, the courts are required to review the apportionment plans by the state to see if it was done fairly.

We have 6 Congress critters representing my state. Only one is a Democrat because his district include the major metro area which is filled with libtards, as they have Democrats in just about every city, and county elected offices. Outside his district, you would have an extremely difficult time finding a Democrat in the state outside of two other much smaller metro areas. Those areas do not have the population to be a district so it contains large rural areas where Democrats don't live.

Is this gerrymandering? To an extent it is, but the Democrats are happy because it will get them at least one Democrat in the House. The Republicans are happy because it limits the Dems to one seat, instead of giving them a decent shot at two or three districts by even more extensive gerrymandering.
Do your voting districts coincide with administrative boundaries of municipalities and counties and represent more or less even number of voters? If yes, it can't be considered gerrymandering per se.

Do your voting districts coincide with administrative boundaries of municipalities and counties and represent more or less even number of voters? If yes, it can't be considered gerrymandering per se.
No, they don't. That is case across most of the US as population is rarely distributed to even make that possible.
In my state they go by counties. For example, the one county represented by the only Democrat is the largest city in the state. It has a metro government for the whole county.

In Florida, that is not the case.

Where I lived in Virginia, is similar to Florida as the area south of Washington, DC has two districts. In Virginia, I lived in Chesapeake which is not in any county!

Districts are required to have similar numbers of population. When I lived in Florida, my house was in the infamous and corrupt Corrine Brown's Democrat dominated district. Brown's district was thrown out by the courts in 1995 as a gerrymander based on race. It was one of the worst examples of gerrymandering in the nation. I went from her Democrat district to one covering the suburbs and rural areas which was Republican
cool but if the population hasn’t changed their is no requirement to change is my point

You said: "Nobody is required to redistrict after the population is counted."

Courts order redistricting all the time.
Yeah. Court do if the State violated the Constitution

But we were discussing State legislatures redistricting and the poster's thoughts that we did it too often.

No, they don't. That is case across most of the US as population is rarely distributed to even make that possible.

In my state they go by counties. For example, the one county represented by the only Democrat is the largest city in the state. It has a metro government for the whole county.

In Florida, that is not the case.

Where I lived in Virginia, is similar to Florida as the area south of Washington, DC has two districts. In Virginia, I lived in Chesapeake which is not in any county!
Then it is not fair. If your metropolitan area has a population that significantly exceeds other voting districts, then this area should be divided on two or three voting districts (depending on the difference in population with the other counties).

Gerrymandering is a form of political corruption which should be legally prohibited. The size and limits of voting districts should be standardised and put into law.
Or require independent non partisan committees to draw new districts. With big data, gerrymandering is possible on a scale never before seen. With "surgical precision"

DeWine is a doofus. The purpose of redistricting isn't to damage your own party.

Do you really think that the libs in California and New York government are going help the Republicans when they draw their new maps?
California voters adopted an independent commission for redistricting...something Republican controlled states are reluctant to do.

Forum List

Back