Ohio Student Suspended for Staying in Class During Walkout

All day? It was a 17 minute event! And no one has to 'sit in study hall and look out the window.' He could have taken his books with him and studied there. There would be a teacher there to assist him if he wanted.
It was a political event sanctioned by the principal on school time, therefore the school should have arranged to supervise those who wanted to protest, those who disagreed with the protest, and those who were neutral and didn’t want to be associated with either group or political stance.
If you want to bring politics into the classroom, you should at least have the decency to respect different viewpoints instead of attempting to herd and then punish those you can’t pigeonhole.
It was a nationwide event to remember the 17 kids who were mowed down in Parkland, Florida. That's why the event was 17 minutes long. It was about those kids. Not allowing the children of this nation to respond in the way they want because you don't want them to think about any kind of sane gun control is just despicable.

No one was punished. No one was forced to go to the event.

I made a couple comments earlier in this thread but when I was told I don't know diddily I quit posting in this thread after I realized nobody possessed facts and reasonable logic.

Jacob Shoemaker, the "kid who can't be left alone" is 18 years old. Therefore, he's an adult, registered with the draft and is an eligible voter. Tell me, does this adult have to be treated like a kindergartner. Does anybody have any more "educated responses?" What a crock of bull!

I believe he and his father have a pretty sound defense.

He is still a student in the school and has to follow the rules like everyone else. Being 18 does not give a high school the right to ignore the rules.

He could have fallen and hurt hims widdle self. I understand. my bad.

You are a moron. You have a picture of militar man as your avatar but do not understand the need to follow rules. Clearly, it is just some pic you found on the internet.

And do you know what all these activities have in common? They're all school or learning related. The protest was not.
That's your opinion. Being a RWr you don't want kids to think about gun control issues.

First of all, don't presume to think you know that I am a "winger" of any kind, right or otherwise. Secondly, assuming that I don't want kids thinking about gun control is a gross misinterpretation. I have indicated in no way that I am against kids thinking about gun control so there's no justification for that assumption. My entire argument is that I don't think they should have held the protest on school grounds on school time. That's it.
It seems very appropriate to me as the kids who where mowed down were on school grounds during school time.

Don't be an idiot. That was beyond their control, this was not. It's not a valid excuse for interrupting regular school business with a political protest.

Political protest are a vital part of our system of government. What better way to learn about the 1st Amendment than to take part in what it guarantees you the freedom to do

So then why did they not extend that freedom to this kid? All the other kids had the right to express themselves by walking out but this kid was not allowed the freedom to express himself by staying in the class.

Besides all that, they already have civics and social studies classes to teach them about our Constitutional rights. And, they had the freedom to express themselves after school hours. It was totally unnecessary to have it when and where they did.

So the kid's choice was getting to go outside and screw off all day in the beautiful sunshine...or be stuck in a study hall looking out the window? Some choice.
All day? It was a 17 minute event! And no one has to 'sit in study hall and look out the window.' He could have taken his books with him and studied there. There would be a teacher there to assist him if he wanted.
It was a political event sanctioned by the principal on school time, therefore the school should have arranged to supervise those who wanted to protest, those who disagreed with the protest, and those who were neutral and didn’t want to be associated with either group or political stance.
If you want to bring politics into the classroom, you should at least have the decency to respect different viewpoints instead of attempting to herd and then punish those you can’t pigeonhole.
It was a nationwide event to remember the 17 kids who were mowed down in Parkland, Florida. That's why the event was 17 minutes long. It was about those kids. Not allowing the children of this nation to respond in the way they want because you don't want them to think about any kind of sane gun control is just despicable.

Lol. It was also a political anti second amendment, anti gun, anti rights walk out. And where did I say I’m for ‘not allowing the children of this nation to respond in the way they want...’ etc?
I’m the one SUPPORTING allowing the children to respond in the way they want - and that includes those who want to remain neutral and not be forced to associated with either side!
YOU and the principal who punished this boy are clearly the ones who are ‘not allowing the children of this nation to respond the way they want’ as evidenced by the fact that the principal punished a kid for attempting doing just that, and you have agreed with this. I guess that makes you ‘despicable’.
For a teacher, your comprehension is alarmingly poor!
NO ONE WAS REQUIRED TO BE INVOVLED.
It wasn't anti 2nd Amendent. Sane gun control IS NOT anti 2nd Amendment.
They FORCED KIDS TO BE INVOLVED and to choose sides by holding it on school time and on school premises - they didn’t allow students to remain neutral and punished those who did - they absolutely forced the kids to ‘be involved’. Good God, for a teacher you sure are dumb.

Last edited:

I made a couple comments earlier in this thread but when I was told I don't know diddily I quit posting in this thread after I realized nobody possessed facts and reasonable logic.

Jacob Shoemaker, the "kid who can't be left alone" is 18 years old. Therefore, he's an adult, registered with the draft and is an eligible voter. Tell me, does this adult have to be treated like a kindergartner. Does anybody have any more "educated responses?" What a crock of bull!

He is still a student in the school and has to follow the rules like everyone else. Being 18 does not give a high school the right to ignore the rules.

You are a moron. You have a picture of militar man as your avatar but do not understand the need to follow rules. Clearly, it is just some pic you found on the internet.

th
th

So then why did they not extend that freedom to this kid? All the other kids had the right to express themselves by walking out but this kid was not allowed the freedom to express himself by staying in the class.

Besides all that, they already have civics and social studies classes to teach them about our Constitutional rights. And, they had the freedom to express themselves after school hours. It was totally unnecessary to have it when and where they did.

He was given two choices, join the walkout or go to a designated room where there were school personnel. This is a reasonable choice.

And do you know what all these activities have in common? They're all school or learning related. The protest was not.
That's your opinion. Being a RWr you don't want kids to think about gun control issues.

First of all, don't presume to think you know that I am a "winger" of any kind, right or otherwise. Secondly, assuming that I don't want kids thinking about gun control is a gross misinterpretation. I have indicated in no way that I am against kids thinking about gun control so there's no justification for that assumption. My entire argument is that I don't think they should have held the protest on school grounds on school time. That's it.
It seems very appropriate to me as the kids who where mowed down were on school grounds during school time.

Don't be an idiot. That was beyond their control, this was not. It's not a valid excuse for interrupting regular school business with a political protest.
As someone who does not teach, yours is a not very educated opinion. No one was required to protest.

I never said they were.

For the others, it is a lesson in civics.

They already have civics classes.

There are a multitude of events throughout the school year that interrupt classroom teaching. Few of them are directly related to classroom lessons.

But they are all school related.

No one was forced to be involved in this protest.

Again, I never said they were.

This was a nationwide event, and even occured in schools in other countries. It took place in school during school hours because the kids who were killed were killed in school during school hours. What are you so afraid of? Kids having minds o f their own? The neither the teachers nor the schools arranged this event. Students did.

What gave you the impression that I'm afraid?

They FORCED KIDS TO BE INVOLVED and to choose sides by holding a it on school time and on school premises - they didn’t allow students to remain neutral and punished those who did - they absolutely forced the kids to ‘be involved’. Good God, for a teacher you sure are dumb.

Kids were not forced to do anything. It was held at the time of the attack, which if you are not a partisan zealot makes sense.

My son's school had a space they were to go to that was safe and being watched by police. Out of a school of 2500 about 800 went. Each teacher was given the authority to do as they say fit to those who walked out. Some did nothing, some gave after school detention. My son's teacher gave a "pop quiz" worth extra credit that consisted of putting their name on a piece of paper.

My son choose to join the walkout thus he lost the extra credit. That was his choice as we left it up to him. I think it was a great learning experience, he choose to use his 1st amendment right and learned at the same time there are consequences for such actions sometimes.

Political protest are a vital part of our system of government. What better way to learn about the 1st Amendment than to take part in what it guarantees you the freedom to do
Only those who wanted to remain neutral and not be associated with either those perceived to be ‘gun nuts’ and not expressing sympathy for the dead, or those protesting, were in fact punished with suspension instead of being guaranteed their freedom to their stance.

He was given two choices, join the walkout or go to a designated room where there were school personnel. This is a reasonable choice.

It's not a reasonable choice if he did not wish to express himself that way. The fact is they did not allow him the freedom to express himself his own way as they did the other students.

Only those who wanted to remain neutral and not be associated with either those perceived to be ‘gun nuts’ and not expressing sympathy for the dead, or those protesting, were in fact punished with suspension instead of being guaranteed their freedom to their stance.

You are wrong. In my son's school only those that choose to join the walkout faced any consequences, for everyone else the teachers stayed in their classrooms and taught.

It's not a reasonable choice if he did not wish to express himself that way. The fact is they did not allow him the freedom to express himself his own way as they did the other students.

Every student in the school was given two choices, that is not an unreasonable thing to do. The school has to maintain positive control over the children put in its charge during the day. That is why kids are not allowed to sit in classroom alone with no teacher any other day of the year.

th

Yeah, I figured as much. You are just one more fraud on here. There are lots like you on here

You are wrong. In my son's school only those that choose to join the walkout faced any consequences, for everyone else the teachers stayed in their classrooms and taught.
But the thread isn’t about your son’s school. It’s about a kid who wanted to remain neutral instead of being forced into choosing sides not being allowed to, and being punished for that.

Every student in the school was given two choices, that is not an unreasonable thing to do. The school has to maintain positive control over the children put in its charge during the day. That is why kids are not allowed to sit in classroom alone with no teacher any other day of the year.

There are no finite number of choices for true freedom of expression. Either they are all given the choice to express themselves in their own way or they can all just go back to class.

But the thread isn’t about your son’s school. It’s about a kid who wanted to remain neutral instead of being forced into choosing sides not being allowed to, and being punished for that.

He was not punished for remaining neutral, he was punished for disobeying the rules, just like he would have been any other day of the year.

Do you think that students should have the right to just pick and choose whatever rule they wish to follow and never face any consequences?

There are no finite number of choices for true freedom of expression. Either they are all given the choice to express themselves in their own way or they can all just go back to class.

That is just stupid. Kids are allowed a finite number of choices for true freedom of expression when it comes to what they were, what they say, what they bring with them to school. Or do you think there should be no rules in school and the kid should just do whatever they want?

Forum List

Back