Ohio Student Suspended for Staying in Class During Walkout

So then why did they not extend that freedom to this kid? All the other kids had the right to express themselves by walking out but this kid was not allowed the freedom to express himself by staying in the class.

Besides all that, they already have civics and social studies classes to teach them about our Constitutional rights. And, they had the freedom to express themselves after school hours. It was totally unnecessary to have it when and where they did.

He was given two choices, join the walkout or go to a designated room where there were school personnel. This is a reasonable choice.

It's not a reasonable choice if he did not wish to express himself that way. The fact is they did not allow him the freedom to express himself his own way as they did the other students.

Every student in the school was given two choices, that is not an unreasonable thing to do. The school has to maintain positive control over the children put in its charge during the day. That is why kids are not allowed to sit in classroom alone with no teacher any other day of the year.
Two choices clearly weren’t enough. They should have provided supervision for those who did not fit into their two choices.
Are you forced to vote for one of two political parties or can you abstain or vote for an independent etc?
If schools are going to host political demonstrations, then they should respect the kids views. Things are rarely black and white, so it’s not difficult to anticipate that there will be some kids who agree with neither of the imposed two choices and don’t want to be forced to.

They already have civics classes.

Education is about more than just book learning.

Sure, that's what education is. But what it is not about is promoting a political ideal in the classroom or on school grounds.

There was no political ideal being promoted, just the free exercise of their 1st Amendment rights.
But not for those who didn’t want to associate with either of the two ‘choices’ forced on them.

The kid was given two choices and he choose neither, thus was punished.

I thought you Trump zealots supported following the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

So the kid's choice was getting to go outside and screw off all day in the beautiful sunshine...or be stuck in a study hall looking out the window? Some choice.
All day? It was a 17 minute event! And no one has to 'sit in study hall and look out the window.' He could have taken his books with him and studied there. There would be a teacher there to assist him if he wanted.
It was a political event sanctioned by the principal on school time, therefore the school should have arranged to supervise those who wanted to protest, those who disagreed with the protest, and those who were neutral and didn’t want to be associated with either group or political stance.
If you want to bring politics into the classroom, you should at least have the decency to respect different viewpoints instead of attempting to herd and then punish those you can’t pigeonhole.
It was a nationwide event to remember the 17 kids who were mowed down in Parkland, Florida. That's why the event was 17 minutes long. It was about those kids. Not allowing the children of this nation to respond in the way they want because you don't want them to think about any kind of sane gun control is just despicable.

No one was punished. No one was forced to go to the event.
Should have been a moment of silence held in respect to the horrible event only, and then if want to have the response to the event talked about or debated, then have it happen in the appropriate classroom setting. Once the kids graduate, then they can become activist or whatever, but disrupting school time for a protest that was being manipulated by a political party was unexceptable.

So then why did they not extend that freedom to this kid? All the other kids had the right to express themselves by walking out but this kid was not allowed the freedom to express himself by staying in the class.

Besides all that, they already have civics and social studies classes to teach them about our Constitutional rights. And, they had the freedom to express themselves after school hours. It was totally unnecessary to have it when and where they did.

He was given two choices, join the walkout or go to a designated room where there were school personnel. This is a reasonable choice.

It's not a reasonable choice if he did not wish to express himself that way. The fact is they did not allow him the freedom to express himself his own way as they did the other students.

Every student in the school was given two choices, that is not an unreasonable thing to do. The school has to maintain positive control over the children put in its charge during the day. That is why kids are not allowed to sit in classroom alone with no teacher any other day of the year.
Two choices clearly weren’t enough. They should have provided supervision for those who did not fit into their two choices.
Are you forced to vote for one of two political parties or can you abstain or vote for an independent etc?
If schools are going to host political demonstrations, then they should respect the kids views. Things are rarely black and white, so it’s not difficult to anticipate that there will be some kids who agree with neither of the imposed two choices and don’t want to be forced to.
. Example, just look no further than how screwed up the college's have become.

I made a couple comments earlier in this thread but when I was told I don't know diddily I quit posting in this thread after I realized nobody possessed facts and reasonable logic.

Jacob Shoemaker, the "kid who can't be left alone" is 18 years old. Therefore, he's an adult, registered with the draft and is an eligible voter. Tell me, does this adult have to be treated like a kindergartner. Does anybody have any more "educated responses?" What a crock of bull!

I believe he and his father have a pretty sound defense.

He is still a student in the school and has to follow the rules like everyone else. Being 18 does not give a high school the right to ignore the rules.

He could have fallen and hurt hims widdle self. I understand. my bad.

You are a moron. You have a picture of militar man as your avatar but do not understand the need to follow rules. Clearly, it is just some pic you found on the internet.

th

Yeah, I figured as much. You are just one more fraud on here. There are lots like you on here
You are one smart cookie, y'know? Why you are the smartest corn kernel in the turd.

Only those who wanted to remain neutral and not be associated with either those perceived to be ‘gun nuts’ and not expressing sympathy for the dead, or those protesting, were in fact punished with suspension instead of being guaranteed their freedom to their stance.

You are wrong. In my son's school only those that choose to join the walkout faced any consequences, for everyone else the teachers stayed in their classrooms and taught.
But the thread isn’t about your son’s school. It’s about a kid who wanted to remain neutral instead of being forced into choosing sides not being allowed to, and being punished for that.

He was not punished for remaining neutral, he was punished for disobeying the rules, just like he would have been any other day of the year.

Do you think that students should have the right to just pick and choose whatever rule they wish to follow and never face any consequences?
He was punished for refusing to align with either of the two ‘choices’ because he didn’t want to be associated with supporting either of them.
If schools are going to host political events then they should at least have the decency to allow the students to express their views honestly instead of forcing them into picking one of two sides.

There were only two possible choices, join the walkout or do not join the walkout...what other possible choice is there?

Sure, that's what education is. But what it is not about is promoting a political ideal in the classroom or on school grounds.

There was no political ideal being promoted, just the free exercise of their 1st Amendment rights.
But not for those who didn’t want to associate with either of the two ‘choices’ forced on them.

There were only two choices...be a part of the walkout or do not be a part of the walkout.

Only those who wanted to remain neutral and not be associated with either those perceived to be ‘gun nuts’ and not expressing sympathy for the dead, or those protesting, were in fact punished with suspension instead of being guaranteed their freedom to their stance.

You are wrong. In my son's school only those that choose to join the walkout faced any consequences, for everyone else the teachers stayed in their classrooms and taught.
But the thread isn’t about your son’s school. It’s about a kid who wanted to remain neutral instead of being forced into choosing sides not being allowed to, and being punished for that.

He was not punished for remaining neutral, he was punished for disobeying the rules, just like he would have been any other day of the year.

Do you think that students should have the right to just pick and choose whatever rule they wish to follow and never face any consequences?

I sense deep butthurt over the inability to understand that this kid had OPTIONS.

Chances good, his parents put him up to it.

He was punished for refusing to align with either of the two ‘choices’ because he didn’t want to be associated with supporting either of them.
If schools are going to host political events then they should at least have the decency to allow the students to express their views honestly instead of forcing them into picking one of two sides.

Study hall was not a "side" - it was an OPTION

Are you daft?

How dare that malcontent wish to learn rather than stage a useless protest that would make Mao and his Red Guards blush. Taxpayer funded schools have a duty to push political issues on impressionable kids! Make him an example, that'll show the little twerp he needs to stop thinking for himself.

Ohio student suspended for staying in class during walkouts

Meh. My kid didn't walk out. He said it was supposed to be 17 minutes of silence but it was more of an excuse to get out of class and talk to each other. They weren't taking it seriously and he had things to do. He stayed in class.

I cannot agree with this. I did not put my son up to joining or not joining. We told him it was his choice and that he would have to face the consequences that arose from the choice he made.

I cannot agree with this. I did not put my son up to joining or not joining. We told him it was his choice and that he would have to face the consequences that arose from the choice he made.

Okay, my point was unfair and I raised my kid the same way. However, there ARE parents who aren't as cool as you and I.

There were only two possible choices, join the walkout or do not join the walkout...what other possible choice is there?
So you keep saying, but the point is there’s no excuse for offering only two choices and forcing the kids to align with one or the other.

It’s really very, very simple.

All they had to do was provide a teacher to supervise those who wished to exercise their right to remain neutral and not be forced in to aligning with either side.

Again, I ask you, are you forced to vote either Dem or Rep?

What do you think they are demonstrating to these kids?

If schools decide to hold political protests on school premises and in school time, then they should at least have the decency to cater to those who want to remain politically neutral. It really isn’t rocket science.

Bullshit. They're calling for more gun control.

. The school should have offered the kids not participating (a rainy day pass), and let them stay home. Oh that's right public schools are babysitting factories now, so the parents would have been dragged into the situation next. The brainwashing facilities couldn't allow the parents to be inconvenienced, so just throw it all on to the poor children eh ??

So you keep saying, but the point is there’s no excuse for offering only two choices and forcing the kids to align with one or the other.

It’s really very, very simple.

Please tell me what other possible choice there could be other than "join the walkout" or "do not join the walkout".

All they had to do was provide a teacher to supervise those who wished to exercise their right to remain neutral and not be forced in to aligning with either side.

They did that, they provide teachers to supervise those who wished to exercise their right to remain neutral. Those teachers were in a particular set of room that the student was supposed to go to if they did not wish to join the walkout. This student choose to ignore that rule and do his own thing. Thus he got punished.

Again, I ask you, are you forced to vote either Dem or Rep?

No, but I do have a particular place I have to go to cast my vote, I do not get to choose to do it from wherever I want. Should the state accomodate me and have supervised voting in any location I want them to?

What do you think they are demonstrating to these kids?

That everyone has to follow the rules, that this kid is not special.

If schools decide to hold political protests on school premises and in school time, then they should at least have the decency to cater to those who want to remain politically neutral. It really isn’t rocket science.

That is what they did. The set aside a designated space for those not wishing to join in the politically motivated walkout. What more should they have done?

How dare that malcontent wish to learn rather than stage a useless protest that would make Mao and his Red Guards blush. Taxpayer funded schools have a duty to push political issues on impressionable kids! Make him an example, that'll show the little twerp he needs to stop thinking for himself.

Ohio student suspended for staying in class during walkouts

Meh. My kid didn't walk out. He said it was supposed to be 17 minutes of silence but it was more of an excuse to get out of class and talk to each other. They weren't taking it seriously and he had things to do. He stayed in class.

Can't disagree with your kid's decision - that was his and I agree that most of these kids spent a whole lot more than 17 minutes outside of class.

Here in Boise - it was an EVENT.

I'd have respect my daughter's personal decision either way (she's 22 now and largely done with college), but IMHO? ....

It was an amazing learning, bonding and even cathartic experience for many of these kids. One that sitting in class or study hall wouldn't have provided.

Bullshit. They're calling for more gun control.

Some were, some were not.

Maintaining positive control would have been a moot point if they had just done it after school hours.

Forum List

Back