Ohio Student Suspended for Staying in Class During Walkout

Why did the teacher walk out of class? Teachers sign a contract to teach, not walk out of class to support student complaints. His father should contact an honest lawyer.
Teachers are required to participate in this kind of event. All kinds of events occur during the school day where, drills, assemblies, all kinds of things and teachers are required to accompany the class. They cannot just send the kids off unsupervised. It's very clear most of you have no idea what the environment of a school is like on a day to day basis.
. Link to where it states that teachers are required to participate in political protest events please. Thanks.
As a teacher of 30 years, I know the teacher is always required to acompany her class. She/he cannot leave the class unsupervised. It doesn't mean you are participating in the event. But it is your job to supervise your students. It's in every teacher's contract. Would you prefer teachers just let kids wander off willy nilly any old time w/o teacher supervision?
. The teachers need to be given back their right to abstain from getting involved in protest events, and this way the left will be hung out to dry on their own... The left has been enjoying the protections of government power in which they have used to change the direction and trajectory of this nation in many cases against it's cultural and political will, and this is why the left has feared a Trump presidency so greatly. It fears any conservative presidency, house or Senate, because the agenda will change, and they ain't having it. Hopefully we will get more judges who are conservatives on the bench pronto. The nation is tired of the bullcrap already, and it spoke out when elected Trump.

Why did the teacher walk out of class? Teachers sign a contract to teach, not walk out of class to support student complaints. His father should contact an honest lawyer.
Teachers are required to participate in this kind of event. All kinds of events occur during the school day where, drills, assemblies, all kinds of things and teachers are required to accompany the class. They cannot just send the kids off unsupervised. It's very clear most of you have no idea what the environment of a school is like on a day to day basis.
. Link to where it states that teachers are required to participate in political protest events please. Thanks.
As a teacher of 30 years, I know the teacher is always required to acompany her class. She/he cannot leave the class unsupervised. It doesn't mean you are participating in the event. But it is your job to supervise your students. It's in every teacher's contract. Would you prefer teachers just let kids wander off willy nilly any old time w/o teacher supervision?
. The teachers need to be given back their right to abstain from getting involved in protest events, and this way the left will be hung out to dry on their own... The left has been enjoying the protections of government power in which they have used to change the direction and trajectory of this nation in many cases against it's cultural and political will, and this is why the left has feared a Trump presidency so greatly. It fears any conservative presidency, house or Senate, because the agenda will change, and they ain't having it. Hopefully we will get more judges who are conservatives on the bench pronto. The nation is tired of the bullcrap already, and it spoke out when elected Trump.
:yes_text12::udaman:

The kid was given two choices and he choose neither, thus was punished.

I thought you Trump zealots supported following the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

So the kid's choice was getting to go outside and screw off all day in the beautiful sunshine...or be stuck in a study hall looking out the window? Some choice.
All day? It was a 17 minute event! And no one has to 'sit in study hall and look out the window.' He could have taken his books with him and studied there. There would be a teacher there to assist him if he wanted.
It was a political event sanctioned by the principal on school time, therefore the school should have arranged to supervise those who wanted to protest, those who disagreed with the protest, and those who were neutral and didn’t want to be associated with either group or political stance.
If you want to bring politics into the classroom, you should at least have the decency to respect different viewpoints instead of attempting to herd and then punish those you can’t pigeonhole.

^^^ exactly!
There are all kinds of activities and drills during school. They always interrupt classroom study, events like assemblies, fire drills, award ceremonies, performances, speakers, and many, many other events.

And do you know what all these activities have in common? They're all school or learning related. The protest was not.
That's your opinion. Being a RWr you don't want kids to think about gun control issues.

First of all, don't presume to think you know that I am a "winger" of any kind, right or otherwise. Secondly, assuming that I don't want kids thinking about gun control is a gross misinterpretation. I have indicated in no way that I am against kids thinking about gun control so there's no justification for that assumption. My entire argument is that I don't think they should have held the protest on school grounds on school time. That's it.
It seems very appropriate to me as the kids who where mowed down were on school grounds during school time.

How dare that malcontent wish to learn rather than stage a useless protest that would make Mao and his Red Guards blush. Taxpayer funded schools have a duty to push political issues on impressionable kids! Make him an example, that'll show the little twerp he needs to stop thinking for himself.

Ohio student suspended for staying in class during walkouts

You are completely lying and misrepresenting this. Your post is propaganda. You are apparently so used to being controlled by propaganda, you don’t know how to convey information in a truthful way.

Students were not required to participate in the walkout (which was only 17 minutes long). If they didn't want to participate, they were to go to a study hall room. He was not allowed to stay in the classroom unsupervised, alone. Kids cannot be wandering around the school alone.

What the school administration required of him is very normal and very reasonable. Everyone who didn't want to participate in the walk out was required to go to study hall. He disobeyed. The school thought it was serious enough to suspend him. If they allowed him to refuse to cooperate, they could never count on students cooperating during other kinds of drills or events.

You are so obsessed with making it a political issue, you cannot see reason.

Um, the protest itself was a political issue.
He was not required to attend it.

No one disputes that. But you criticized weatherman for making it a political issue when the protest itself was a political issue.
He made the fact the kid was suspended a political issue; that is what I was referring to. It wasn't a political issue. It was a normal, typical and reasonable response for the school administration to take given the situation. The kid could not be left alone in the classroom, and he refused to go where he would be supervised w/o having to participate in the event. The OP tried to make it an issue of the school oppressing the student and forcing him mto participate in the event.That was not true. He misrepresented the circumstances, making it political.

You are an idiot. You know nothing about teaching.

So the kid's choice was getting to go outside and screw off all day in the beautiful sunshine...or be stuck in a study hall looking out the window? Some choice.
All day? It was a 17 minute event! And no one has to 'sit in study hall and look out the window.' He could have taken his books with him and studied there. There would be a teacher there to assist him if he wanted.
It was a political event sanctioned by the principal on school time, therefore the school should have arranged to supervise those who wanted to protest, those who disagreed with the protest, and those who were neutral and didn’t want to be associated with either group or political stance.
If you want to bring politics into the classroom, you should at least have the decency to respect different viewpoints instead of attempting to herd and then punish those you can’t pigeonhole.

Oh my the Irony coming from someone who does this when they cant refute pesky facts Israel is a warmonger country responsible for the world being in the mess it is you are one to talk about about respecting different viewpoints.:D

ignore.jpg

Oh my the Irony coming from someone who does this when they cant refute pesky facts Israel is a warmonger country responsible for the world being in the mess it is you are one to talk about about respecting different viewpoints.:D
What has Israel got to do with this thread?

It was a nationwide event to remember the 17 kids who were mowed down in Parkland, Florida. That's why the event was 17 minutes long. It was about those kids. Not allowing the children of this nation to respond in the way they want because you don't want them to think about any kind of sane gun control is just despicable.

No one was punished. No one was forced to go to the event.

How dare that malcontent wish to learn rather than stage a useless protest that would make Mao and his Red Guards blush. Taxpayer funded schools have a duty to push political issues on impressionable kids! Make him an example, that'll show the little twerp he needs to stop thinking for himself.

Ohio student suspended for staying in class during walkouts

The teacher had to keep an eye on the rest of the class who wanted to participate. It is against the rules at ALL public schools to leave a kid alone in a classroom.

You're little attention whore Jacob could have simply gone to study hall with the rest of the kids who chose not to participate.

Instead, he decided to make a scene over it.

Nothing but the fact you do THIS-
ignore.jpg

all the time in that section when you are backed up against the wall with nowhere to run and cant admit when you have beene proven wrong on that subject proves what a hypocrite you are talking about respecting someones opinions when the FACTS you cant counter,dont go along with your WARPED OPINIONS.:iyfyus.jpg::itsok:

^^^ exactly!
There are all kinds of activities and drills during school. They always interrupt classroom study, events like assemblies, fire drills, award ceremonies, performances, speakers, and many, many other events.

And do you know what all these activities have in common? They're all school or learning related. The protest was not.
That's your opinion. Being a RWr you don't want kids to think about gun control issues.

First of all, don't presume to think you know that I am a "winger" of any kind, right or otherwise. Secondly, assuming that I don't want kids thinking about gun control is a gross misinterpretation. I have indicated in no way that I am against kids thinking about gun control so there's no justification for that assumption. My entire argument is that I don't think they should have held the protest on school grounds on school time. That's it.
It seems very appropriate to me as the kids who where mowed down were on school grounds during school time.

Don't be an idiot. That was beyond their control, this was not. It's not a valid excuse for interrupting regular school business with a political protest.

It was a nationwide event to remember the 17 kids who were mowed down in Parkland, Florida. That's why the event was 17 minutes long. It was about those kids. Not allowing the children of this nation to respond in the way they want because you don't want them to think about any kind of sane gun control is just despicable.

Lol. It was also a political anti second amendment, anti gun, anti rights walk out.
And where did I say I’m for ‘not allowing the children of this nation to respond in the way they want...’ etc?

I’m the one SUPPORTING allowing the children to respond in the way they want - and that includes those who want to remain neutral and not be forced to be associated with either side!

YOU and the principal who punished this boy are clearly the ones who are ‘not allowing the children of this nation to respond the way they want’ as evidenced by the fact that the principal punished a kid for attempting to do just that, and you have agreed with this.

I guess that makes you ‘despicable’.
For a teacher, your comprehension is alarmingly poor!

Last edited:

Don't be an idiot. That was beyond their control, this was not. It's not a valid excuse for interrupting regular school business with a political protest.
As someone who does not teach, yours is a not very educated opinion. No one was required to protest. For the others, it is a lesson in civics. There are a multitude of events throughout the school year that interrupt classroom teaching. Few of them are directly related to classroom lessons. No one was forced to be involved in this protest. This was a nationwide event, and even occured in schools in other countries. It took place in school during school hours because the kids who were killed were killed in school during school hours. What are you so afraid of? Kids having minds o f their own? The neither the teachers nor the schools arranged this event. Students did.

Lol. It was also a political anti second amendment, anti gun, anti rights walk out. And where did I say I’m for ‘not allowing the children of this nation to respond in the way they want...’ etc?
I’m the one SUPPORTING allowing the children to respond in the way they want - and that includes those who want to remain neutral and not be forced to associated with either side!
YOU and the principal who punished this boy are clearly the ones who are ‘not allowing the children of this nation to respond the way they want’ as evidenced by the fact that the principal punished a kid for attempting doing just that, and you have agreed with this. I guess that makes you ‘despicable’.
For a teacher, your comprehension is alarmingly poor!
NO ONE WAS REQUIRED TO BE INVOVLED.

It wasn't anti 2nd Amendent. Sane gun control IS NOT anti 2nd Amendment.

The kid wasn't punished because he didn't go to the event. He was punished because he didn't go to the study hall instead of the event. The students all need to be supervised. That's the school's responsibility. They needed to be supervised at the event or in school. He could not be allowed to sit in the classroom alone. If that were allowed this time, the school would never be able to have any kind of drill or event because kids would just ignore them and stay in class or hang out wherever they wanted. What an uproar the public would be in if kids were not supervised at school. Good grief, use comon sense.

Last edited:

Political protest are a vital part of our system of government. What better way to learn about the 1st Amendment than to take part in what it guarantees you the freedom to do

Nothing but the fact you do THIS-
ignore.jpg

all the time in that section when you are backed up against the wall with nowhere to run and cant admit when you have beene proven wrong on that subject proves what a hypocrite you are talking about respecting someones opinions when the FACTS you cant counter,dont go along with your WARPED OPINIONS.:iyfyus.jpg::itsok:
You clearly have me confused with someone else, as I very rarely post in ‘that section’. Maybe you should take stuff about ‘that section’ to ‘that section’ and show me exactly what it is you’re rambling about?

Last edited:

I made a couple comments earlier in this thread but when I was told I don't know diddily I quit posting in this thread after I realized nobody possessed facts and reasonable logic.

Jacob Shoemaker, the "kid who can't be left alone" is 18 years old. Therefore, he's an adult, registered with the draft and is an eligible voter. Tell me, does this adult have to be treated like a kindergartner. Does anybody have any more "educated responses?" What a crock of bull!

I believe he and his father have a pretty sound defense.

I made a couple comments earlier in this thread but when I was told I don't know diddily I quit posting in this thread after I realized nobody possessed facts and reasonable logic.

Jacob Shoemaker, the "kid who can't be left alone" is 18 years old. Therefore, he's an adult, registered with the draft and is an eligible voter. Tell me, does this adult have to be treated like a kindergartner. Does anybody have any more "educated responses?" What a crock of bull!

He is still a student in the school and has to follow the rules like everyone else. Being 18 does not give a high school the right to ignore the rules.

He is still a student in the school and has to follow the rules like everyone else. Being 18 does not give a high school the right to ignore the rules.

He could have fallen and hurt hims widdle self. I understand. my bad.

Forum List

Back