Ok then...

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Someone said "what's happening to us?" This in response to all the recent violence and angry political vitriol lately. Many people responded with calls for greater civility in our discourse.

So, go ahead. Discuss the recent shootings, the state of the world, party politics, race, religion, education, etc. without the anger and insults.

Notice this thread is not in the "Pussy Zone" where such things are theoretically forbidden, so whatever civility or lack thereof is a matter of choice.

Well...go ahead.

There are many reasons people are inspired to act out in a violent matter. I am certain that the internet, specifically social media has contributed to at least some of these events. There are others to be sure.

Someone said "what's happening to us?" This in response to all the recent violence and angry political vitriol lately. Many people responded with calls for greater civility in our discourse.

So, go ahead. Discuss the recent shootings, the state of the world, party politics, race, religion, education, etc. without the anger and insults.

Notice this thread is not in the "Pussy Zone" where such things are theoretically forbidden, so whatever civility or lack thereof is a matter of choice.

Well...go ahead.
The only thing is, I've been following that thread since it went up, and I do not recall a whole lot of people responding with calls for greater civility in our discourse. Not this crew.
It's pretty sad, and I agree with Buck Tooth Moron that social media has had a great deal to do with the escalation of incivility. That is a breeding ground for nutcases who get their own strange ideas. I think it also gives a much larger audience to the White Nationalists and other hate groups, and that's not a good thing.

Fuck that! I say we go smash some political opponents today. Whos with me?

giphy.gif

Last edited:
There are many reasons people are inspired to act out in a violent matter. I am certain that the internet, specifically social media has contributed to at least some of these events. There are others to be sure.

Does the internet exert such influence that a person not predisposed to such violence is driven to it by what is online? Or is it more a platform for hate rather than a cause of it?

Does the internet exert such influence that a person not predisposed to such violence is driven to it by what is online? Or is it more a platform for hate rather than a cause of it?
It probably just exacerbates whatever preexisting condition they have.

Well...go ahead.
The only thing is, I've been following that thread since it went up, and I do not recall a whole lot of people responding with calls for greater civility in our discourse. Not this crew.
It's pretty sad, and I agree with Buck Tooth Moron that social media has had a great deal to do with the escalation of incivility. That is a breeding ground for nutcases who get their own strange ideas. I think it also gives a much larger audience to the White Nationalists and other hate groups, and that's not a good thing.

Or is it a good thing to shine a light on hateful scumbags (on all sides), exposing them for what they are and opening them for the public shaming they deserve?

Well...go ahead.

Or is it a good thing to shine a light on hateful scumbags (on all sides), exposing them for what they are and opening them for the public shaming they deserve?
The FBI says the spotlight is inviting for these types.

Civility is important.

But in debates can get heated and many times tempers flare.

The question is how does one deal with the aftermath.

Does one demonize the opposition or does one accept the other's views as legitimate albeit wrongly determined.

What we have is out of control demonization of the opposition.

That is what must be curtailed.

Civility is important.

But in debates can get heated and many times tempers flare.

The question is how does one deal with the aftermath.

Does one demonize the opposition or does one accept the other's views as legitimate albeit wrongly determined.

What we have is out of control demonization [sic] of the opposition.

That is what must be curtailed.

How?

Jesus was a perfect man. He was the only perfect man. And the do-gooders killed him. Right?

Does anyone really experience this division in their day to day?
I certainly don't.
The millisecond I shut off the noise, the real world is rather pleasant and folks are civil.

Most of America is checked out to politics.
Dancing with The Stars is on.

Well...go ahead.
Translation: Social Media gives individuals a place to express what the honestly think, and feel without the immediacy of threat, or injury. Therefore keeping the populace cowed by the threat of violence, or the actual use of violence is mandatory to keep dissenting thought from hampering collectivist ideology...

Does anyone really experience this division in their day to day?
I certainly don't.
The millisecond I shut off the noise, the real world is rather pleasant and folks are civil.

Most of America is checked out to politics.
Dancing with The Stars is on.
Well... When given freedom of association; people typically don’t surround themselves with those in whom they find objection. So it stands to reason that fewer negative interactions would be the norm. However everywhere you find compulsory association, animosities, and even hostilities aren’t far behind...

People go on the internet, like here on this forum and Facebook, etc, and they interact with people they know nothing or little about. They read and and post things they would not do if they were sitting in a room having a face to face conversation. There is content that Nybody can read that is inflammatory and gets people excited and angry. And they act out.

People go on the internet, like here on this forum and Facebook, etc, and they interact with people they know nothing or little about. They read and and post things they would not do if they were sitting in a room having a face to face conversation. There is content that Nybody can read that is inflammatory and gets people excited and angry. And they act out.
Which in a way demonstrates that in the real world people are deceitful. And will often keep their true opinions on issues to themselves or their own circles. That breeds mistrust, and hostility.

I’ve seen worse

The 60s were the closest I’ve seen to civil war and anarchy

Assasinations
JFK, MLK, RFK, Malcom X

Civil Rights protests with Govt beating innocent protesters and imprisoning leaders, Terrorist bombings and lynchings

Vietnam protests, Kent State, Chicago

Forum List

Back