Oklahoma House Approves Bill Shifting Marriage Licenses from State to Clergy

Get the government completely out of the marriage business and problem solved.

what problem is that? That you have to let the gays into your clubhouse now?

This law won't stand because of the whole Separation of Church and State thing some of you might have heard of. But even if it does, you just open a on-line ministry and issue marriage licenses.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Either a minister or a judge can authorize the marriage an perform the ceremony or the couple can file a Affiliated of Common Law Marriage.
Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains! And where churches can rule law.

Gay in Tulsa? Good luck finding a church in open minded, liberty granting Oklahoma willing to grant you your right to access contract law.

Under this law you don't have to get married in a Church, there is still a civil option.

>>>>
Or you can just file an Affiliated of Common Law Marriage.

That's the Civil option to which I was referring.

>>>>
Anybody can be licensed to be clergy.

The bill means nothing at all.
If the bill as written becomes law, there will be more child marriages.

No, there won't. The bill does not change the requirements or the process for minors marrying.
Look at Section 8 of HB1125 as passed by the House. It clearly states, that the person performing or solemnizing the marriage ceremony shall, immediately upon the completion of the ceremony, execute a marriage certificate authorizing the marriage. In this section it states that the person performing the ceremony will complete the certificate with legal name taken from birth certificate, driver's license, or identification card, visa, passport, etc which will be accepted as proof of identity and age.

This verification of age and identity was previous performed by a government official. It will now be performed by the person conducting the ceremony. Furthermore, the fees for issuing the license has been changed to the fees for recording the certificate after the ceremony.

If this bill becomes law, the state will no longer be issuing a document, to authorize the marriage. This will be done by the person conducting the ceremony. The government will be acting only as a recording agent for the certificate just as it does for legal documents such as wills and leases. If the person conducting the ceremony refuses to marry a gay couple, the state can not be held at fault because the state is no longer authorizing marriages.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16 INT/hB/HB1125 INT.PDF

First off, you are looking at the bill as it was introduced. You need to look at the final bill that was voted on.

The bill changes the current law. Language which is being added is underlined. If it is being deleted it is stricken through. If neither, then it is the old language and is unchanged. If you read that section of the final bill you will see that rather than endorsing the license, they execute the certificate. Both of those mean they sign it. There is additional personal information which has to be filled out. Then the document is sent to the county clerk who files the certificate rather than issue the license. This is a change of terminology. It does not change the basic process.
Post a link to the bill as passed. Have you looked at Section 8?

Gays are in my clubhouse and my clubhouse shower rooms. Hell, gay couples that can/ are married are there showering together. Strange though, hetro couples cannot.

Traditions are dead my friend. Get used to it. Move aside, there's a brave NEW world a comin.

So this is what bothers you, the gays are showering?

Frankly, it sounds like a lot of your insecurities.

^^^^hetrophobe^^^^^^
heterofascist.

That's supposed to be an insult?

This law won't stand because of the whole Separation of Church and State thing some of you might have heard of. But even if it does, you just open a on-line ministry and issue marriage licenses.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Either a minister or a judge can authorize the marriage an perform the ceremony or the couple can file a Affiliated of Common Law Marriage.
Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains! And where churches can rule law.

Gay in Tulsa? Good luck finding a church in open minded, liberty granting Oklahoma willing to grant you your right to access contract law.

Under this law you don't have to get married in a Church, there is still a civil option.

>>>>

>>>>

No, there won't. The bill does not change the requirements or the process for minors marrying.
Look at Section 8 of HB1125 as passed by the House. It clearly states, that the person performing or solemnizing the marriage ceremony shall, immediately upon the completion of the ceremony, execute a marriage certificate authorizing the marriage. In this section it states that the person performing the ceremony will complete the certificate with legal name taken from birth certificate, driver's license, or identification card, visa, passport, etc which will be accepted as proof of identity and age.

This verification of age and identity was previous performed by a government official. It will now be performed by the person conducting the ceremony. Furthermore, the fees for issuing the license has been changed to the fees for recording the certificate after the ceremony.

If this bill becomes law, the state will no longer be issuing a document, to authorize the marriage. This will be done by the person conducting the ceremony. The government will be acting only as a recording agent for the certificate just as it does for legal documents such as wills and leases. If the person conducting the ceremony refuses to marry a gay couple, the state can not be held at fault because the state is no longer authorizing marriages.

First off, you are looking at the bill as it was introduced. You need to look at the final bill that was voted on.

The bill changes the current law. Language which is being added is underlined. If it is being deleted it is stricken through. If neither, then it is the old language and is unchanged. If you read that section of the final bill you will see that rather than endorsing the license, they execute the certificate. Both of those mean they sign it. There is additional personal information which has to be filled out. Then the document is sent to the county clerk who files the certificate rather than issue the license. This is a change of terminology. It does not change the basic process.

Here's the link http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16 FLR/HFLR/HB1125 HFLR.PDF

Notice that your link ends with INT and the other ends in HFLR. INT means introduced and HFLR means the bill that hit the House floor.

Yes, I did read section 8. As I said, aside from additional information that has to be provided, the changes are terminology - not process.

>>>>

>>>>

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16 FLR/HFLR/HB1125 HFLR.PDF

Yes I have, why?

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

Here's the link http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16 FLR/HFLR/HB1125 HFLR.PDF

Notice that your link ends with INT and the other ends in HFLR. INT means introduced and HFLR means the bill that hit the House floor.

Yes, I did read section 8. As I said, aside from additional information that has to be provided, the changes are terminology - not process.
If there is no change in the process then the state is authorizing the marriage as it currently does and the only change is a change of name from license to certificate. That is not the way the bill is being reported in the press.

Forget the bill summary. They don't change summaries as the bill goes through the amendment process. You need to read the final version of the bill that was voted on.

I didn't see anything in link that addresses who issues the certificate.

They just changed the term from issue to file. I'm not familiar with the process in OK, but I expect the people who do weddings have a stack of forms. Who hands you a form really doesn't matter. You go through the ceremony and the person marrying you signs the form and then sends it to the clerk. That's how I'm reading it. I wouldn't be surprised if different counties had different procedures. Whatever the current process might be, there is nothing in the bill which indicates that actual process has been changed. Just the terminology.

I expect the original idea was to create the common law marriage process and then make the standard marriage process entirely religious - which is why the judge and retired judges were deleted in the original text. That way there would be SSM marriage but it would throw a bone to those who didn't want it to be the same as "real" marriage. That didn't survive the committee process, because it would clearly be unconstitutional.

Under the current law, the couple goes to the county office, shows identification verifying identification age. If either party is under 18, a parent or guardian must present a written consent and there is a 72 hours waiting period. After the ceremony, the license is signed and returned for filing. If the procedure does not change, then the legislature is just changing the name from license to certificate.

I believe after the bill becomes law, the person conducting the ceremony will issue the certificate, verify that all state requirements are being met and submit the certificate for filing to the county office. Thus, the government is out of the loop. They would be doing nothing but filing the document and collecting the fee, the same as they do with filing wills, leases and other documents.

What are the Legal Requirements for Marriage in Oklahoma Tulsa Divorce Attorney 918-924-5526 Divorce of Tulsa Law Office
Verifying that all state requirements are being met is keeping government in the loop, because the resulting contract will still need to conform to state contract law concerning marriage, and state contract law concerning dissolution of marriage, should that time come.
I believe the way the bill is written it will be a minister that does the verifying, not the government which in my mind is a problem.
All contracts must conform to state law to be valid, that responsibility falls to whomever the state designates as its agent.

>>>>

>>>>

If there is no change in the process then the state is authorizing the marriage as it currently does and the only change is a change of name from license to certificate. That is not the way the bill is being reported in the press.

Yes. Which is why you can't just accept what the press is reporting. They are far more interested in garnering your attention than in informing you of the facts.

All contracts must conform to state law to be valid, that responsibility falls to whomever the state designates as its agent.

That's easy. Oklahoma simply follows Alabama's moxy and only allows the normal use & definition of the word marriage. Windsor supplies them with all the legal tools they need to trump any lower court in the federal system until/unless SCOTUS overturns it. No lower federal court may defy the SCOTUS 2013 Ruling that Found that states trump the fed on defining marriage: the finding they used BTW to strike down part of DOMA.

Why should the government issue even those? What compelling interest does the state have in doing so in this day and age?
None really. Since the state's role in issuing marriage licenses was to entice the best formative environment for children, and upon any "gay marriage" not providing that environment because it structurally denies children either a mother or a father, there is no reason for the state, any state, to be involved in what used to be marriage: the word defined for the best arrangement for children.

Why should the government issue even those? What compelling interest does the state have in doing so in this day and age?
None really. Since the state's role in issuing marriage licenses was to entice the best formative environment for children, and upon any "gay marriage" not providing that environment because it structurally denies children either a mother or a father, there is no reason for the state, any state, to be involved in what used to be marriage: the word defined for the best arrangement for children.
Where has any marriage license ever said anything about having children? Many couples can't have children, don't want children or make horrible parents

Doesn't affect the validity of their marriage

>>>>

Yes. Which is why you can't just accept what the press is reporting. They are far more interested in garnering your attention than in informing you of the facts.
However, the fact remains that the bill will eliminate state issued marriage licences. Currently, the couple goes to the county office for a license. The clerk determines if the couple meets the requirements for marriage.. Under the new law, the couple will go to a minister or other authorized person to conduct a ceremony who will determine if the couple meets the requirements for marriage. Instead of a license being issued by the county, the minister will provide a certificate of marriage to be recorded.

“The point of my legislation is to take the state out of the process and leave marriage in the hands of the clergy,” said state Rep. Todd Russ, R-Cordell, the bill’s House author. “Marriage was historically a religious covenant first and a government-recognized contract second. Under my bill, the state is not allowing or disallowing same-sex marriage. It is simply leaving it up to the clergy.”

Under House Bill 1125, marriage licenses would be replaced by marriage certificates issued by clergy and others authorized to perform marriage ceremonies. The bill passed the House 67-24 and will now go to the Senate for consideration.

Oklahoma lawmakers pass bill to protect court clerks from having to issue marriage licenses

“Under House Bill 1125, marriage licenses would be replaced by marriage certificates issued by clergy and others authorized to perform marriage ceremonies. The bill passed the House 67-24 and will now go to the Senate for consideration.”

Authorized by the state in accordance with state contract law.

Again, it makes no difference who issues what, as members of the clergy are acting as agents of the state, nor does it matter whether marriage documents are called 'licenses' or 'certificates,' these political machinations are peripheral to the state's contract law that governs the validity of the marriage contracts and how they're enforced by state courts.

Poor Republicans. They just can't get their shit together. Seditiony letters to foreign governments...and now the "Marriage Chaos Bill" as the kids in OK are calling it.

Weird Bill Intended To Block Marriage Equality In Oklahoma May Totally Backfire

With so much to do, it is sad that Republicans have nothing better to do with their time
They do keep very busy, however.

If they're not working to deny gay Americans their civil rights, they're working to deny women their privacy rights, or African-Americans their voting rights, or sending letters to their pen pals in Iran.

There just aren't enough hours in the day...

Last edited:
Poor Republicans. They just can't get their shit together. Seditiony letters to foreign governments...and now the "Marriage Chaos Bill" as the kids in OK are calling it.

Weird Bill Intended To Block Marriage Equality In Oklahoma May Totally Backfire

With so much to do, it is sad that Republicans have nothing better to do with their time
They do keep very busy, however.

If they're not working to deny gay Americans their civil rights, they working to deny women their privacy rights, or African-Americans their voting rights, or sending letters to their pen pals in Iran.

There just aren't enough hours in the day...

You have to feel sorry for elected officials who spend their hours figuring out how to keep fags in their place

>>>>

However, the fact remains that the bill will eliminate state issued marriage licences. Currently, the couple goes to the county office for a license. The clerk determines if the couple meets the requirements for marriage.. Under the new law, the couple will go to a minister or other authorized person to conduct a ceremony who will determine if the couple meets the requirements for marriage. Instead of a license being issued by the county, the minister will provide a certificate of marriage to be recorded.

“The point of my legislation is to take the state out of the process and leave marriage in the hands of the clergy,” said state Rep. Todd Russ, R-Cordell, the bill’s House author. “Marriage was historically a religious covenant first and a government-recognized contract second. Under my bill, the state is not allowing or disallowing same-sex marriage. It is simply leaving it up to the clergy.”

Under House Bill 1125, marriage licenses would be replaced by marriage certificates issued by clergy and others authorized to perform marriage ceremonies. The bill passed the House 67-24 and will now go to the Senate for consideration.

Oklahoma lawmakers pass bill to protect court clerks from having to issue marriage licenses

It is only a change in language. It has no other impact. The no longer have to issue marriage licenses, now they just have to file marriage certificates. It's just words.

“Under House Bill 1125, marriage licenses would be replaced by marriage certificates issued by clergy and others authorized to perform marriage ceremonies. The bill passed the House 67-24 and will now go to the Senate for consideration.”

Authorized by the state in accordance with state contract law.

Again, it makes no difference who issues what, as members of the clergy are acting as agents of the state, nor does it matter whether marriage documents are called 'licenses' or 'certificates,' these political machinations are peripheral to the state's contract law that governs the validity of the marriage contracts and how they're enforced by state courts.
From a legal standpoint, I think you're right. I don't have a problem with marriage certificate but do have problem with the person or persons solemnizing the marriage. According the bill an ordained minister or person(s) of an assemble may solemnize the marriage in the manner prescribed by and practiced in any such society, church, or assembly. Further, it is this person who verifies that state laws are met.

It is only a change in language. It has no other impact. The no longer have to issue marriage licenses, now they just have to file marriage certificates. It's just words.
No, it's not just words. Currently the clerk at the county office verifies age and id and issues a license permitting the marriage. Under this bill, it's the person that solemnizes the marriage that permits its. This is a big change because the state will be using the minister, or other persons as an agent to see that state laws are upheld.

Forum List

Back