Oklahoma House Approves Bill Shifting Marriage Licenses from State to Clergy

Get the government completely out of the marriage business and problem solved.

what problem is that? That you have to let the gays into your clubhouse now?

This law won't stand because of the whole Separation of Church and State thing some of you might have heard of. But even if it does, you just open a on-line ministry and issue marriage licenses.

Get the government completely out of the marriage business and problem solved.

what problem is that? That you have to let the gays into your clubhouse now?

This law won't stand because of the whole Separation of Church and State thing some of you might have heard of. But even if it does, you just open a on-line ministry and issue marriage licenses.

Gays are in my clubhouse and my clubhouse shower rooms. Hell, gay couples that can/ are married are there showering together. Strange though, hetro couples cannot.

Traditions are dead my friend. Get used to it. Move aside, there's a brave NEW world a comin.

Gays are in my clubhouse and my clubhouse shower rooms. Hell, gay couples that can/ are married are there showering together. Strange though, hetro couples cannot.

Traditions are dead my friend. Get used to it. Move aside, there's a brave NEW world a comin.

So this is what bothers you, the gays are showering?

Frankly, it sounds like a lot of your insecurities.

This did give me a nice chuckle, and it really highlights the need to actually check out a story rather than just accept a headline.

The bill does not do what the story says. Not even close. All it does is say rather than the government issuing a marriage license, it files a marriage certificate. Just a change in words, not in process. They didn't even change the fee. It gives no authority to any clergy it doesn't already have, i.e. they can perform a wedding and sign the certificate. What is also included in the bill, and not mentioned at all in the story, is the real news. The old law stated anyone of age could get a license to marry someone of the opposite sex. Now it just says anyone can get a certificate to marry. IOW, this bill removes the prohibition against SSM.

For those willing to do the work, it's HB 1125 and you can read it on the Oklahoma Legislature web site. Have fun.

The article served it's purpose....throw out the bait and the left loons strike every time :)

You seldom get someone willing to admit to being a troll. Bravo zulu for honesty.

Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains! And where churches can rule law.

Gay in Tulsa? Good luck finding a church in open minded, liberty granting Oklahoma willing to grant you your right to access contract law.

How do atheists get married in Oklahoma?

Who do you recognize as clergy? Your local astrologer? Satan worshipers? David Koresh?

If a religion recognizes marriage to children, is it any of Oklahomas business?

Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains! And where churches can rule law.

Gay in Tulsa? Good luck finding a church in open minded, liberty granting Oklahoma willing to grant you your right to access contract law.

Under this law you don't have to get married in a Church, there is still a civil option.

>>>>

^^^^hetrophobe^^^^^^

^^^^hetrophobe^^^^^^
heterofascist.

Anybody can be licensed to be clergy.

The bill means nothing at all.
If the bill as written becomes law, there will be more child marriages.

No, there won't. The bill does not change the requirements or the process for minors marrying.
Look at Section 8 of HB1125 as passed by the House. It clearly states, that the person performing or solemnizing the marriage ceremony shall, immediately upon the completion of the ceremony, execute a marriage certificate authorizing the marriage. In this section it states that the person performing the ceremony will complete the certificate with legal name taken from birth certificate, driver's license, or identification card, visa, passport, etc which will be accepted as proof of identity and age.

This verification of age and identity was previous performed by a government official. It will now be performed by the person conducting the ceremony. Furthermore, the fees for issuing the license has been changed to the fees for recording the certificate after the ceremony.

If this bill becomes law, the state will no longer be issuing a document, to authorize the marriage. This will be done by the person conducting the ceremony. The government will be acting only as a recording agent for the certificate just as it does for legal documents such as wills and leases. If the person conducting the ceremony refuses to marry a gay couple, the state can not be held at fault because the state is no longer authorizing marriages.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16 INT/hB/HB1125 INT.PDF

Under this law you don't have to get married in a Church, there is still a civil option.

>>>>
Or you can just file an Affiliated of Common Law Marriage.

>>>>
Or you can just file an Affiliated of Common Law Marriage.

That's the Civil option to which I was referring.

>>>>

Broadway show tune

How ironic IS THAT!

Anybody can be licensed to be clergy.

The bill means nothing at all.
If the bill as written becomes law, there will be more child marriages.

No, there won't. The bill does not change the requirements or the process for minors marrying.
Look at Section 8 of HB1125 as passed by the House. It clearly states, that the person performing or solemnizing the marriage ceremony shall, immediately upon the completion of the ceremony, execute a marriage certificate authorizing the marriage. In this section it states that the person performing the ceremony will complete the certificate with legal name taken from birth certificate, driver's license, or identification card, visa, passport, etc which will be accepted as proof of identity and age.

This verification of age and identity was previous performed by a government official. It will now be performed by the person conducting the ceremony. Furthermore, the fees for issuing the license has been changed to the fees for recording the certificate after the ceremony.

If this bill becomes law, the state will no longer be issuing a document, to authorize the marriage. This will be done by the person conducting the ceremony. The government will be acting only as a recording agent for the certificate just as it does for legal documents such as wills and leases. If the person conducting the ceremony refuses to marry a gay couple, the state can not be held at fault because the state is no longer authorizing marriages.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16 INT/hB/HB1125 INT.PDF

First off, you are looking at the bill as it was introduced. You need to look at the final bill that was voted on.

The bill changes the current law. Language which is being added is underlined. If it is being deleted it is stricken through. If neither, then it is the old language and is unchanged. If you read that section of the final bill you will see that rather than endorsing the license, they execute the certificate. Both of those mean they sign it. There is additional personal information which has to be filled out. Then the document is sent to the county clerk who files the certificate rather than issue the license. This is a change of terminology. It does not change the basic process.

All this will be moot once the Supreme Court makes gay marriage the law of the land

Forum List

Back