Oklahoma House Approves Bill Shifting Marriage Licenses from State to Clergy

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

On Tuesday, the Oklahoma state House approved legislation that transfers the issuance of marriage licenses from the state to clergy members.

Oklahoma House Approves Bill Shifting Marriage Licenses from State to Clergy - Breitbart

I believe the State of Oklahoma should bear true witness to its own laws.

The State shall never enact any law restricting or abridging the right of suffrage on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

My concern is that people without any faith will be unable to marry in the state. This will do nothing to stop gays from getting married in Oklahoma though b/c quite a few churches already marry gays. If this bill passes and is signed by Governor Fallin it will most assuredly be challenged in the instant her signature hits the page.
Pretty sure quakers accept everyone really and a lot of mainstream churches do it too.

Though agnostic/atheist organizations could marry too if it came down to it, at least since they are already tax exempt and are considered religious organizations.

It is opening a can of worms though, so it would be interesting to see how it all turns out over there.

The problem I see with Oklahoma is that they get to decide what a "real religion" is

I am sure it will be very dificult for religions that allow gay marriage to qualify as a "real religion"

A backdoor to banning gay marriage

The problem I see with Oklahoma is that they get to decide what a "real religion" is

I am sure it will be very dificult for religions that allow gay marriage to qualify as a "real religion"

Well, then they are really going to run into a mess since most of the churches that marry gays are Christian.

I honestly don't know what the purpose of the bill the house passed is. They struck out the gay marriage ban. Practically anyone can solemnize the ceremony as long as they have some type credentials. The person doesn't even have to be a resident of the state or a even a minister. It seems to me that the state is trying to distance itself from enforcing the marriage laws they have passed by allowing their agents to enforce the law. However, those agents will number in the thousands and the only requirement is that they claim to be an ordained minister or official of a religious organization or of any religious assembly or be a judge and file with the state.

Forum List

Back