Old age ain’t for the weak

Feeling decrepit as the years pile on?

This summer go to the annual Basque Festival in Winnemucca, Nevada and watch the old guys hammer the shit out of the younger generation.

Wisely put is the Basque Mantra: "Old Age and Treachery Beats Youth and Vigor Every Time!!!"

I am 6'3"...was 6' 4" and weigh 220 lbs.
I may be 56, but I would bet on myself 10 to 1 against 3/4 of the snowflake girl-boys out there today.

iamwhatiseem
I was at a burger place and noticed it was mostly teenagers
Many of the kids were big but looked soft and dressed very Elmo looking with strange design cloths , feminite jewelry , long hair etc

I train mma twice a week
I am only 6-1 and 160
My generation would have entirely annihilated this one.
All I did as a kid was play sports, ride bicycles, climb trees, ramp motorcycles... as a teen every boy I know was lifting weights and playing football every weekend.
The sheer kick-ass stomping we would give today's teens... holy cow.

I am not concerned about being able to best a young man in a fight, because I don't plan on being in any fights and I don't go to places with high risk of being in a fight.

My concern about getting old is more about the point where I have to depend on others to wipe my butt. I don't want to live that way. Hopefully I have many years before that happens and I get hit by a bus before it comes to that.
Secede, Outlaw Liberalism, and Get Back American Manhood

Hemingway had the same attitude after being mentally paralyzed because of two accidents. It's best to describe his suicide as "He took his own life." An Old School American, he lived, thought, wrote, and died his own way.

I have to laugh at all the "Young people today are soft" comments.

Maybe there are softies among the young today. But I have had the honor of knowing a few Navy SEALs that are far from soft. I also have seen college football players train, and they have distinct advantages compared to players in my day.

Maybe there are softies among the young today. But I have had the honor of knowing a few Navy SEALs that are far from soft. I also have seen college football players train, and they have distinct advantages compared to players in my day.
Haha... yeah like Navy Seals are your typical American teenager.
College football players? Also - not your typical teenager either. Never were.
My son (now 27) was a four time state swimmer in high school. Qualifying for state as a freshman...rare.
He is 6' 5" and was muscled out like all highly competitive swimmers. He probably could have taken me when he was 15.
But he wasn't the typical either.
No one is saying every teenager today is twinkle toes, just a whole helluva lot more of them are now then ever.
I live in a college town, have all my life. For yeeeaaars the problems were drunk teens fighting, getting aggressive in bars etc. Pretty much no one above 25 went to bars here on weekend nights here for decades. Now? Pheh... nothing to worry about. Too busy talking about their shoes...that or nowhere to be seen since they are playing video games somewhere. 20 years ago weekend nights downtown - forget about it - so many kids out on the town it would take 20 minutes to drive a couple miles. Today (not counting since Covid) you can go anywhere you want downtown on the weekend. Sure it is more crowded than weekdays... but nothing like it was before. They are all playing video games. Or sitting in a room alone on social media.

In my mid 40s and have already noticed my 2 best attributes diminish

I don’t think I am going to survive old age
. If I get into a fight I won’t be able to draw even or defeat folks

I think I am going to check out on my own accord
Sodium nitrate has been used effectively
By now you should be smart enough to be able to avoid fights. It ain't so bad getting old. I am old and still running people out to duck hunt out to the islands. The trip out and back is a bitch as water spray s up and instantly freezes. I now only run them up to 3 days in a row and rest on the fourth. Minor adjustments. Christ quit being so dramatic

The truth is the WWII generation thought there was no more effeminate bunch of losers than baby boomers. Every generation thinks the one that follows them are hopeless.

Last edited:
With a little bit of luck.......

In a few weeks I'll have my 80th birthday. Seriously.

Yeah, I'm feeling the years.

But my birthday celebration plan is to snowshoe into a remote radio transmitter location do do routine maintenance. I've had some goodies stashed there since September and plan to throw myself a little party.

OK, I may be alone because most of the people I know there are younger than me and bitch that it'd be to hard to get there.

A great thing about the site is that frozen pizza keeps well there without artificial refrigeration. But on the other hand ya gotta keep the beer indoors or the cans explode.

Yeah here.jpg

I've been doing that station's engineering pro-bono for almost 50 years.
It doesn't require "tough".
Only commitment with a dash of idiocy.

Oh, the inside of the ATU makes a passable Pizza Microwave 0ven though it takes
a little longer than most of your home nucleators.​

With a little bit of luck.......

In a few weeks I'll have my 80th birthday. Seriously.

Yeah, I'm feeling the years.

But my birthday celebration plan is to snowshoe into a remote radio transmitter location do do routine maintenance. I've had some goodies stashed there since September and plan to throw myself a little party.

OK, I may be alone because most of the people I know there are younger than me and bitch that it'd be to hard to get there.

A great thing about the site is that frozen pizza keeps well there without artificial refrigeration. But on the other hand ya gotta keep the beer indoors or the cans explode.

View attachment 573417

I've been doing that station's engineering pro-bono for almost 50 years.
It doesn't require "tough".
Only commitment with a dash of idiocy.

Oh, the inside of the ATU makes a passable Pizza Microwave 0ven though it takes
a little longer than most of your home nucleators.​

In my mid 40s and have already noticed my 2 best attributes diminish

I don’t think I am going to survive old age
. If I get into a fight I won’t be able to draw even or defeat folks

I think I am going to check out on my own accord
Sodium nitrate has been used effectively
Drama queen .... look at me everyone.! Grow a set.

Forum List

Back