On this day in 1960

Bobby Bonds fan here ... so I followed his son's career quit closely ... if it wasn't for drugs, we'd be calling him one of the greatest of all time ... even if his HR total fell short ...

... he didn't have to cheat ... and that's the sad part ... he could have had the National League Trophy named after him ... but he cheated ...
I was a Bobby Bonds fan too.

I’m not saying you have to glorify him, just tell what happened and don’t pretend he, and a ton of others who carried the game, never existed.

Bonds is at the top of the discussion for Being the most powerful, feared hitter in baseball history. It’s him and Babe Ruth pretty much.

... he didn't have to cheat ... and that's the sad part ... he could have had the National League Trophy named after him ... but he cheated ...

In fairness to Bonds, He and Griffey were the two best players in the game.

Then along came McGuire and Sosa using steroids without consequences and Bonds hitting 40 Hrs became an afterthought

Bonds just said, if this is how the game is played today……I will show what I can do on steroids

Kind of like Joe Namath and the football HOF.

Without his guarantee in Super Bowl 3, and the finger wag.. his numbers aren’t incredible. But moments can transcend things

it was different game back then. They could hit recievers & QB almost anytime they could grt near them. Hard to complete 65% when every reciever is engaged. He rolled over the Colts pretty good that day not messing things up. He was OK. Deep ball to Don Maynard I think?

No need to be a child saying things like that. We can agree to disagree, not sure why you took it personally and got all insecure.

You’re the one riled up, not me
You're the one that is obviously lacking in scruples. Whether you like it or not, STEROIDS was a BIG DEAL, and
changed the outcome of games.

And...didn't you post this? "This is just mostly another example of poindexters who never succeeded in sports undercutting people they don’t like."

You're the one that is obviously lacking in scruples. Whether you like it or not, STEROIDS was a BIG DEAL, and

And...didn't you post this? "This is just mostly another example of poindexters who never succeeded in sports undercutting people they don’t like."
Steroids was not just cheating by allowing you to win games you would have lost otherwise. It also cheated the fans
It was stealing from owners and honest players giving you a salary you didn’t deserve

Gee, I wonder how Bonds attained that badge. :rolleyes-41:
Oh....he cheated
Baseball requires multiple, completely unrelated skills, unlike many other sports. You can be strong as an ox but completely suck at baseball, because you have bad hand-eye coordinate and can't hit the ball. Bonds was already on his way to a HOF career, but despite his steroid use, still had to have the coordination to hit. That's a non-strength skill that he was notorious for whether he used roids or not.

It did. I'm not saying Bonds should be celebrated and put on the front of the HOF, but he, McGwire, Sosa, Canseco, Palmeiro, A-rod, etc. should all be in the HOF... you can make a "steroid era" wing, you can put asterisks on their totals, that's fine. It seems like you're unnecessarily simplifying things.
Yes. I'll always point out the pettiness of sports "journalists" who go after people they hold grudges against, and attempt to alter their legacies and careers over spite.

There's a major difference between calling out someone for being petty and saying someone is incapable of thought or comprehension simply because they disagree with you. You do the latter, and quite frankly, it's lazy and makes you rather uncompelling to debate with.

Anyone can bull rush a topic and when questioned say "Well, you lack the comprehension to understand", or something like that. It seems like you belong staying in the political debate section of this site.

Steroids was not just cheating by allowing you to win games you would have lost otherwise. It also cheated the fans
It was stealing from owners and honest players giving you a salary you didn’t deserve
It didn't cheat the fans, McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds drew new fans and saved the game of baseball. I don't think that's up for debate.

In fairness to Bonds, He and Griffey were the two best players in the game.
Do you think Griffey used any sort of performance enhancements?

Hamstring issues are a tell-tale sign, and that's what sank him in Cincinnati.

Baseball requires multiple, completely unrelated skills, unlike many other sports. You can be strong as an ox but completely suck at baseball, because you have bad hand-eye coordinate and can't hit the ball. Bonds was already on his way to a HOF career, but despite his steroid use, still had to have the coordination to hit. That's a non-strength skill that he was notorious for whether he used roids or not.

It did. I'm not saying Bonds should be celebrated and put on the front of the HOF, but he, McGwire, Sosa, Canseco, Palmeiro, A-rod, etc. should all be in the HOF... you can make a "steroid era" wing, you can put asterisks on their totals, that's fine. It seems like you're unnecessarily simplifying things.

Yes. I'll always point out the pettiness of sports "journalists" who go after people they hold grudges against, and attempt to alter their legacies and careers over spite.

There's a major difference between calling out someone for being petty and saying someone is incapable of thought or comprehension simply because they disagree with you. You do the latter, and quite frankly, it's lazy and makes you rather uncompelling to debate with.

Anyone can bull rush a topic and when questioned say "Well, you lack the comprehension to understand", or something like that. It seems like you belong staying in the political debate section of this site.
Read my keyboard....HE CHEATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is not in the HOF for that exact reason.
Not because of me, but because of people in the right places, and YOU"RE not one of them.
You have no more footing on this topic than I do, so please just stop with your arrogance.
Your opinion and my opinion are opposite...but equal.

Read my keyboard....HE CHEATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is not in the HOF for that exact reason.
Not because of me, but because of people in the right places, and YOU"RE not one of them.
You have no more footing on this topic than I do, so please just stop with your arrogance.
Your opinion and my opinion are opposite...but equal.
Thank you for refraining from insults, and yes, we are equal. However, I would say the arrogance is on the league and MLB pundits, who whistle past the graveyard as they accept the money that Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa drew to the game and then stab them in the back and cut them loose afterwards.

This was a specific situation, you can't just call them "cheaters". The league was complicent .

Forum List

Back