🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

One More Fabrication: “The Southern Strategy”

No Southern Strategy?

Before the Civil RIghts Act the South voted reliably Dem.

After they became rock solid Republican

Reagan opened his 1980 Campaign in Philadelphia Miss...where three civil rights workers were killed...

Are ya kidding?

Please...this is another topic you don't know anything about...

Nixon’s Southern Strategy: The Democrat-Lie Keeping Their Control Over the Black Community | Black Quill and Ink

Ken Raymond
Jun 2011

Richard Nixon’s “Southern Strategy”, which the democrats say is the reason black people had to support them during the 1960′s–is a lie.

And it’s probably the biggest lie that’s been told to the blacks since Woodrow Wilson segregated the federal government after getting the NAACP to support him.
After talking with black voters across the country about why they overwhelmingly supports democrats, the common answer that’s emerges is the Southern Strategy.

I’ve heard of the Southern Strategy too. But since it doesn’t make a difference in how I decide to vote, I never bothered to research it. But apparently it still influences how many African Americans vote today. That makes it worth investigating.

For those that might be unfamiliar with the Southern Strategy, I’ll briefly review the story. After the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, most blacks registered as democrats and it’s been that way ever since.

And that doesn’t make any sense when you consider the fact that it was the democrats that established, and fought for, Jim Crow laws and segregation in the first place. And the republicans have a very noble history of fighting for the civil rights of blacks.

The reason black people moved to the democrats, given by media pundits and educational institutions for the decades, is that when republican presidential candidate Richard Nixon ran for president in 1968, he employed a racist plan that’s now infamously called the Southern Strategy.

The Southern Strategy basically means Nixon allegedly used hidden code words that appealed to the racists within the Democrat party and throughout the south. This secret language caused a seismic shift in the electoral landscape that moved the evil racist democrats into the republican camp and the noble-hearted republicans into the democrat camp.

And here’s what I found, Nixon did not use a plan to appeal to racist white voters.

First, let’s look at the presidential candidates of 1968. Richard Nixon was the republican candidate; Hubert Humphrey was the democrat nominee; and George Wallace was a third party candidate.

Remember George Wallace? Wallace was the democrat governor of Alabama from 1963 until 1967. And it was Wallace that ordered the Eugene “Bull” Connor, and the police department, to attack Dr. Martin Luther King

Jr. and 2,500 protesters in Montgomery , Alabama in 1965. And it was Governor Wallace that ordered a blockade at the admissions office at the University of Alabama to prevent blacks from enrolling in 1963.

Governor Wallace was a true racist and a determined segregationist. And he ran as the nominee from the American Independent Party, which was he founded.

Richard Nixon wrote about the 1968 campaign in his book RN: the Memoirs of Richard Nixon originally published in 1978.

In his book, Nixon wrote this about campaigning in the south, “The deep south had to be virtually conceded to George Wallace. I could not match him there without compromising on civil rights, which I would not do.”

The media coverage of the 1968 presidential race also showed that Nixon was in favor of the Civil Rights and would not compromise on that issue. For example, in an article published in theWashington Post on September 15, 1968 headlined “Nixon Sped Integration, Wallace says” Wallace declared that Nixon agreed with Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren and played a role in ”the destruction of public school system.” Wallace pledged to restore the school system, in the same article, by giving it back to the states ”lock, stock, and barrel.”

This story, as well as Nixon’s memoirs and other news stories during that campaign, shows that Nixon was very clear about his position on civil rights. And if Nixon was used code words only racists could hear, evidently George Wallace couldn’t hear it.

Among the southern states, George Wallace won Arkansas , Mississippi , Alabama , Georgia and Louisiana . Nixon won North Carolina , South Carolina , Florida , Virginia , and Tennessee . Winning those states were part of Nixon’s plan.

“I would not concede the Carolina ‘s, Florida , or Virginia or the states around the rim of the south,”Nixon wrote. ”These states were a part of my plan.”

At that time, the entire southern region was the poorest in the country. The south consistently lagged behind the rest of the United States in income. And according to the

“U.S. Regional Growth and Convergence,” by Kris James Mitchener and Ian W. McLean, per capita income for southerners was almost half as much as it was for Americans in other regions.

Nixon won those states strictly on economic issues. He focused on increasing tariffs on foreign imports to protect the manufacturing and agriculture industries of those states. Some southern elected officials agreed to support him for the sake of their economies, including South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond.

“I had been consulting privately with Thurmond for several months and I was convinced that he’d join my campaign if he were satisfied on the two issues of paramount concern to him: national defense and tariffs against textile imports to protect South Carolina ‘s position in the industry.”Nixon wrote in his memoirs.

In fact, Nixon made it clear to the southern elected officials that he would not compromise on the civil rights issue.

“On civil rights, Thurmond knew my position was very different from his,” Nixon wrote. “I was for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and he was against it. Although he disagreed with me, he respected my sincerity and candor.”

The same scenario played out among elected officials and voters in other southern states won by Nixon. They laid their feelings aside and supported him because of his economic platform’”not because Nixon sent messages on a frequency only racists can hear.

No Southern Strategy?

Reagan opened his 1980 Campaign in Philadelphia Miss...where three civil rights workers were killed...

Are ya kidding?
I repeat

In order to hide their racist background, the Democrats/Liberals have developed a story line that the party created to end slavery somehow decided to ‘flip’ and become an endorser of racism….and then engaged in a ‘Southern Strategy’ to win the racist vote in the South.

Bogus.

Time to blow up that lie.

You're a certifiable hoot Chic :)

Amazing what you imbeciles will post when you can't find a way to deny my well documented posts.

Your typical 1-2 thousand "well documented" posts are littered with propaganda from little known RW sites combined with your own special brand of crazy.

Chris Buskirk the owner and primary writer for AmGreatness.com - Little other than a one man with a couple of additional contributors..
American Greatness - Media Bias/Fact Check

Another of their ever-so objective top stories. LoL
Boycott Nike - American Greatness

Spare us sis :rolleyes:

Spare you education??

Looks like you've already been 'spared.'

8. Here’s an interesting comparison of the two parties….for context.

a. “Dubbed the Philadelphia Plan, it imposed racial goals …. Nixon moved to kick in the closed union door and to force racist Democratic unions to admit blacks. “

The very opposite of the racism claims the Democrats put forth in that myth, “Southern Strategy.’

b. Compare that to the racism of the godfather of the Democrat Party, Franklin Roosevelt: FDR didn’t like any minorities, and he worked to insure the benefit of racist white labor unions:

“FDR talked Congress into … imposing the nation’s first comprehensive minimum-wage law in 1938. The minimum-wage law prices many of the inexperienced, the young, the unskilled, and the disadvantaged out of the labor market. For example, the minimum-wage provisions passed as part of another act in 1933 threw an estimated 500,000 blacks out of work.” Great Myths of the Great Depression

More evidence of the racism of the Democrat Party, and another reason to doubt the ‘Southern Strategy myth.’

FDR was definitely an arch-racist. His idea of fielding a Jim Crow army to fight German Racism undoubtably caused Mr. Hitler to literally roll over in laughter at the man's Ultra Hypocrisy.

When war broke out between America and Germany in 1941, America really didn't have much of an army. FDR could have easily insisted on an integrated army, but insisted on Jim Crow

Actually, Hitler proudly proclaimed he drew on Democrat Party policies to use for the Nazi party.

In order to hide their racist background, the Democrats/Liberals have developed a story line that the party created to end slavery somehow decided to ‘flip’ and become an endorser of racism….and then engaged in a ‘Southern Strategy’ to win the racist vote in the South.

Bogus.

Amazing what you imbeciles will post when you can't find a way to deny my well documented posts.

Your typical 1-2 thousand "well documented" posts are littered with propaganda from little known RW sites combined with your own special brand of crazy.

Chris Buskirk the owner and primary writer for AmGreatness.com - Little other than a one man with a couple of additional contributors..

PoliChic (aka The Great Regurgitator) is all about cutting and pasting arguments she generally doesn't understand.

With Nixon's own political strategist laying out the reasoning for the Southern Strategy

From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/books/phillips-southern.pdf

By appealing to the 'Negrophobe'. The beating heart of the Southern Strategy. Described in detail by Nixon's own people in 1970.

I wonder if she thinks that anyone actually reads them. :)

There is nothing better than one dunce or another, rushing to respond to my posts....then claiming not to read them.

Priceless.

No Southern Strategy?

Are ya kidding?

The killing of civil rights workers in Philadelphia , actually occurred in the Philadelphia suburb of Neshoba County- not in the city and was 16 years previous to 1980.

Most importantly , the act was that of INDIVIDUALS who happened to be in the Philadelphia area.

Should an entire city be condemned forever, because of the acts of people who happened to be there a lot time ago?

No Southern Strategy?

Are ya kidding?

They had no choice......the racist party, the Democrats, ran the South.

Once they had a choice....they dumped the Dems.

9. Soooo….why did the South end up in the Republican camp? Not due to the preposterous and slanderous allegations of the Democrats, i.e., that they’re all racists, both the Southern voters and the Republican Party.

Here is the answer in microcosm: because neither the Southern voter nor the GOP is racist:

a. 1966 Republican Bo Calloway ran against Democrat Lester Maddox, who “gained national attention for refusing to serve blacks in his popular cafeteria near the Georgia Tech campus. Newsmen tipped off about the confrontation reported how restaurant patrons and employees wielded ax handles while Mr. Maddox waved a pistol. …” http://business.highbeam.com/435900...ddox-dies-87-segregationist-exgovernor-leaves

Maddox was endorsed by Democrat Jimmy Carter in the above governor’s race. When the race was too close to call, the Democrat state legislature gave it to Maddox.

b.1966- Republican Spiro Agnew ran against Democrat segregationists George Mahoney for governor of Maryland. Agnew enacted some of the first laws in the nation against race discrimination in public housing. “Agnew signed the state's first open-housing laws and succeeded in getting the repeal of an anti-miscegenationlaw.” Spiro Agnew - Wikipedia

c.1966- pro-integrationist Republican Winthrop Rockefeller won Arkansas, replacing Bill Clinton-pal Orval Faubus.

Not all Democrats were segregationists, but all segregationists were Democrats! And…there were enough of them to demand compliance from the rest of the party.

Last edited:

a. “Dubbed the Philadelphia Plan, it imposed racial goals …. Nixon moved to kick in the closed union door and to force racist Democratic unions to admit blacks. “

The very opposite of the racism claims the Democrats put forth in that myth, “Southern Strategy.’

b. Compare that to the racism of the godfather of the Democrat Party, Franklin Roosevelt: FDR didn’t like any minorities, and he worked to insure the benefit of racist white labor unions:

“FDR talked Congress into … imposing the nation’s first comprehensive minimum-wage law in 1938. The minimum-wage law prices many of the inexperienced, the young, the unskilled, and the disadvantaged out of the labor market. For example, the minimum-wage provisions passed as part of another act in 1933 threw an estimated 500,000 blacks out of work.” Great Myths of the Great Depression

More evidence of the racism of the Democrat Party, and another reason to doubt the ‘Southern Strategy myth.’

FDR was definitely an arch-racist. His idea of fielding a Jim Crow army to fight German Racism undoubtably caused Mr. Hitler to literally roll over in laughter at the man's Ultra Hypocrisy.

When war broke out between America and Germany in 1941, America really didn't have much of an army. FDR could have easily insisted on an integrated army, but insisted on Jim Crow

Actually, Hitler proudly proclaimed he drew on Democrat Party policies to use for the Nazi party.

Indeed, Mr. Hitler did exactly that. Although in Hitler's opinion, the racism of the American left was a little bit too extreme for him and he wanted to tone it down.

Bogus.

PoliChic (aka The Great Regurgitator) is all about cutting and pasting arguments she generally doesn't understand.

With Nixon's own political strategist laying out the reasoning for the Southern Strategy

From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/books/phillips-southern.pdf

By appealing to the 'Negrophobe'. The beating heart of the Southern Strategy. Described in detail by Nixon's own people in 1970.

I wonder if she thinks that anyone actually reads them. :)

I think it gives her a certain sense of importance to ape smarter sounding words.

If you read her own arguments, typed by her hand.....its usually a disjoined mess of self contradiction or profound misunderstanding of even the basic concepts.

The killing of civil rights workers in Philadelphia , actually occurred in the Philadelphia suburb of Neshoba County- not in the city and was 16 years previous to 1980.

Most importantly , the act was that of INDIVIDUALS who happened to be in the Philadelphia area.

Should an entire city be condemned forever, because of the acts of people who happened to be there a lot time ago?

Oh so the killing occurred a few miles away from the event? Wow...thanks for that distinction without a difference,

No one missed the symbolism...least of all the racists.

It happened all of 16 years before?

Yea...no one remembered that insignificant event huh?

Go away.

You're embarrassing

No Southern Strategy?

Are ya kidding?

murder_fbiposter_700.jpg__700x617_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg

On June 21, 1964 Goodman, Chaney and Schwerner, three Americans, were slaughtered by the Democrat minions to preserve slavery, segregation, and second class citizenship.

"The trial was presided over by an ardent segregationist, U.S. District Judge William Cox, [Nominated Judge by JFK, Democrat]....
....Judge Cox sentenced the men to prison terms ranging from three to 10 years. After sentencing, he said, “They killed one ******, one Jew, and a white man. I gave them what I thought they deserved.” None of the convicted men served more than six years behind bars."
Slain civil rights workers found - Aug 04, 1964 - HISTORY.com

Cox said of his sentences, "They killed one ******, one Jew, and a white man. I gave them all what I thought they deserved."[4] Goodman and Schwerner were both Jewish."
William Harold Cox - Wikipedia

Did I mention that the Democrat Party has always been the party of slavery, segregation, and second-class citizenship?

There's no doubt that southern Dems prior to 1964 were racists and the whites in those states were very comfortable with that.

After LBJ pushed through the Civil Rights Act (almost entirely with the aid of northern votes in Congress) those same racist southern whites LEFT the Democratic Party and flocked to the GOP.

They were never forced to adhere to any party. That was where they wanted to be

Indeed, Mr. Hitler did exactly that. Although in Hitler's opinion, the racism of the American left was a little bit too extreme for him and he wanted to tone it down.

Amazing, but true!!

Although the Nazis used the Democrat doctrines, Jim Crow and segregation laws as their model…..

….wait for it…..

….the Nazis found them TOO HARSH!!!!!

“And the ugly irony is that when the Nazis rejected American law, it was often because they found it too harsh. For example, Nazi observers shuddered at the "human hardness" of the "one drop" rule, which classified people "of predominantly white appearance" as blacks. To them, [Democrat] racism was sometimes simply too inhumane.

That may sound implausible — too awful to believe — but in their early years in power, the Nazis were not yet contemplating the "final solution." At first, they had a different fate in mind for the German Jewry: Jews were to be reduced to second-class citizenship and punished criminally if they sought to marry or engage in sexual contact with "Aryans." The ultimate goal was to terrify Germany's Jews into emigrating.”
When the Nazis wrote the Nuremberg laws, they looked to racist American statutes

If it weren’t so tragic, it’d be funny: the Progressives/Democrat’s programs were too rigid for the Nazis.

No Southern Strategy?

Are ya kidding?

On June 21, 1964 Goodman, Chaney and Schwerner, three Americans, were slaughtered by the Democrat minions to preserve slavery, segregation, and second class citizenship.

"The trial was presided over by an ardent segregationist, U.S. District Judge William Cox, [Nominated Judge by JFK, Democrat]....
....Judge Cox sentenced the men to prison terms ranging from three to 10 years. After sentencing, he said, “They killed one ******, one Jew, and a white man. I gave them what I thought they deserved.” None of the convicted men served more than six years behind bars."

Cox said of his sentences, "They killed one ******, one Jew, and a white man. I gave them all what I thought they deserved."[4] Goodman and Schwerner were both Jewish."

Did I mention that the Democrat Party has always been the party of slavery, segregation, and second-class citizenship?

Did I mention that Reagan kicked off his 1980 campaign IN Philadelphia Miss?

No one south of the Mason Dixon missed that symbolism

There's no doubt that southern Dems prior to 1964 were racists and the whites in those states were very comfortable with that.

After LBJ pushed through the Civil Rights Act (almost entirely with the aid of northern votes in Congress) those same racist southern whites LEFT the Democratic Party and flocked to the GOP.

They were never forced to adhere to any party. That was where they wanted to be

False.

The same racist Democrats remained Democrats.

”Liberal neurotic obsession with this apocryphal notion- (that Southern Strategy) it’s been cited hundreds of times in the NYTimes- is supposed to explain why Democrats can’t get nice churchgoing, patriotic southerners to vote for the party of antiwar protesters, abortion, the ACLU and gay marriage.

They tell themselves it’s because they won’t stoop to pander to a bunch of racists. This slander should probably be the first clue as to why southerners don’t like them.

The central premise of this folklore is that anyone who votes Republican is a racist. Pretty sophisticated thinking.”
Coulter, Mugged

Soooo....what happened to the Southern voter?

They behaved as good Americans, refused to support racist Democrats, and the racist voters aged out....and died.

They were Dixiecrats....not Dixiecans.

Racists remained Democrats, and went right back to voting Democrat.

1. There were plenty of southern integrationists. They were Republicans.

2. 1966- pro-integrationist Republican Winthrop Rockefeller won Arkansas, replacing Clinton-pal Orval Faubus.

3. 1966 Republican Bo Calloway ran against Democrat Lester Maddox, who “gained national attention for refusing to serve blacks in his popular cafeteria near the Georgia Tech campus. Newsmen tipped off about the confrontation reported how restaurant patrons and employees wielded ax handles while Mr. Maddox waved a pistol. …” Research - Articles - Journals | Research better, faster at HighBeam Research

a. Maddox was endorsed by Democrat Jimmy Carter in the above governor’s race. When the race was too close to call, the Democrat state legislature gave it to Maddox.

b. Calloway appealed to the Supreme Court….but the court upheld the legislature’s decision.

c. On that very Supreme Court was former KKK member Justice Hugo Black.

d. Democrat Hugo Black was Democrat FDR’s first appointee, in 1937. This KKK Senator from Alabama wrote the majority decision on Korematsu v. US; in 1967, he said ‘They all look alike to a person not a Jap.” Engage: Conversations in Philosophy: "They all look alike to a person not a Jap"*: The Legacy of Korematsu at OSU

e. And, Hugo Black's anti-Catholic bias, which showed up in his actions on the Supreme Court:

"... Black was head of new members for the largest Klan cell in the South. New members of the KKK had to pledge their allegiance to the “eternal separation of Church and State.”... Separation was a crucial part of the KKK’s jurisprudential agenda. It was included in the Klansman’s Creed..."
Egnorance: Hugo Black and the real history of "the wall of separation between church and state"

f. Liberal historian Eric Foner writes that the Klan was “…a military force serving the interests of the Democratic Party…” Foner, “Reconstruction: America’s Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877,” p. 425

g. "The night riders move through the darkness, white against the black road....they go about their business, their horsed draped, guns and bullwhips banging dully against saddles.

....this is the South Carolina of the 1870s, not of the turn of a new millennium, and the night riders are the terror of these times. They roam upcountry, visiting their version of justice on poor blacks and the Republicans that support them, refusing to bow to the requirements of the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments."
From the novel "The White Road," by John Connolly

4. 1966- Republican Spiro Agnew ran against Democrat segregationists George Mahoney for governor of Maryland. Agnew enacted some of the first laws in the nation against race discrimination in public housing. “Agnew signed the state's first open-housing laws and succeeded in getting the repeal of an anti-miscegenation law.” Spiro Agnew - Wikipedia

5. 1957- Democrat Sam Ervin, another liberal luminary, instrumental in the destruction of anti-communist Republicans Joe McCarthy and Richard Nixon, told his fellow segregationists, and who led the Watergate investigation, said of the 1957 civil rights bill: “We’ve got to give the goddamned ******* something. We’re not gonna be able to get out of here until we’ve got some kind of ****** bill.’ Robert Caro, “Master of the Senate: The Years of Lyndon Johnson,” xv.

No Southern Strategy?

Are ya kidding?

Articulate your point...the point you imagine you have....and I'll destroy it.

Waiting.

"They WERE Dixiecrats"

And now they're Trump supporters

Poli. You going to address Lincoln’s electoral map?

Timmy, are you going to respond to this review of the the history of the Democrat Party???

1. The Democrats are, and have always been, the party of slavery, segregation, and second-class citizenship, the party that stood in schoolhouse doors to block black school children….until Republicans sent in the 101st airborne

2. It is the party of Jefferson Davis, the KKK, Planned Parenthood, concentration camps for American citizens, and restrictions on free speech.

3. It is the party of Mao ornaments on the White House Christmas tree, and of James Hodgkinson, and of Communist Bernie Sanders, of pretend genders.

4. The Democrat Party is the oldest racist organization in America, the trail of tears, the author of Jim Crow and the bigotry of low expectations, filibustered against women getting the vote and killed every anti-lynching bill to get to Congress

5. The Democrat Party is the number one funder of the Islamic Revolution in Tehran….to the tune of $100 billion to the Ayatollahs….and gave Hezbollah the go-ahead to sell cocaine in America.

6. It is the party of anti-Semitism and Louis Farrakhan, and of the first Cabinet member ever to be held in contempt of Congress.

7. It is the party that admits its future depends on flooding the country with illegal aliens, and telling them to vote.

8. It is the party that couldn't suck up to the Castro Brothers enough, and treats the Bill of Rights like a Chinese menu..

9. The Democrats got us into the Civil War…Jefferson Davis .... Woodrow Wilson, WWI….FDR, WWII……Truman, Korean War….VietNam, JFK and LBJ…..yet they want to weaken our military.

10. The Democrats are the party that looks at the mayhem their gun laws have produced in Chicago, ……and this is their model for the nation.

11. I should mention that the Democrat Party was used as a model by Adolph Hitler and the Nazi Party….another ‘feather’ in the party’s cap?

Articulate your point...the point you imagine you have....and I'll destroy it.

Waiting.

I MADE my point

Forum List

Back