Open Concept, Traditional ... What's Your House Style?

I like open concept.

Right now I live in a 1000 sf studio and the only two rooms that are separated with walls and doors are the bath and the bedroom.

I'm building a Craftsman inspired house this summer the first floor is 1900 sf with the great room kitchen dining and 3 season enclosed outdoor room all open concept.

I'm a big fan of custom work so I'll be adding some cool lighting touches and exposed beams.

I'm going to really trick out the master bath too. I have a 4 by 6 foot shower stall with multiple shower heads and body jets planned (heated towel racks too)

Radiant floor heat and multiple gas fire places.

This is cool. I found a gas fireplace that will fit into a kitchen cabinet.

media.nl

How fucking cool is that?

Last edited:
Our house is a barn built in 1860 and converted to house in 1960.

How cool! Pics?

You would never know from pictures that it was once a barn. It looks just like a house. About the only visible remaining barn remnants are the ceiling beams in the dining room.

That's the way it is with our lake house. One of the bathrooms, one bedroom and some ceiling beams are from the original fishing shack but you can't tell. Now it looks like a new home.

If I were younger and wanting to make my fortune, I would be buying places like this.

Going Barndominium for our retirement years.
Easy maintenance and your back door opens into the shop.
And I like the idea of having all my stuff under one roof and avoiding out buildings for equipment.

Barndominium Photo Gallery

While I do like some of the features in the house, the layout itself would drive me batshit crazy! :lol:

Thats the beauty of it. You can lay out the inside anyway you want it.
And if you're even somewhat handy you can do the interior yourself as you go because it's already weather proofed..
But for me it's having a huge shop and lots of indoor space along with the low maintenance.
Just think giant man cave!!

We have lived so long in the southwest that I just feel at home and am drawn to territorial style homes. I too prefer a single level though but like the large spacious feel of high ceilings, cozy fireplaces, and comfortable furniture. Decorated enough to be beautiful; simply enough to not be a pain to clean and maintain. Large enough that we don't live on top of each other, entertain, and have house guests; small enough to accommodate our budget.

image1-21.jpg

image2-31.jpg

20110415212909563681000000-o.jpg

Saddlemire-Office-1.jpg

New-Mexico-Territorial-style-7.jpg

territorial-home-scottsdale-300x202.jpg

Last edited:
So we're contemplating moving. We look and look but most everything newer than 1990 or so is soooo borning. Two story foyer, two story family room, open concept living. Blech. We prefer 'semi' open concept ... open via archways in some areas, doors in others. Not a fan of kitchen open to family room at all, hate two story family rooms (will tolerate a two story foyer), LOATHE skylights. The houses we really like (early 1900's that have been updated/rehabbed) are no where near where we want to live. Even new built houses (unless you go custom) are the same, same, same.

My parents house is still sitting there, we have to decide what we're going to do with it this year. It is literally falling apart inside and it is stuck in a different era in well, in all the rooms. But man I can so see the potential in it. Toying with the idea of buying it and renovating. Watch all those HGTV shows (Property Brothers is on now and the houses they renovate are almost always really dumpy in the before and awesome when done -- although if I hear 'open concept' one more time I'll scream! lol) and know that we could change it enough that it would almost feel like a new house.

So what kind of style do you like? I always liked craftsman, Victorian, and traditional style houses.

I like big windows, more modern looks.

2622552518_7ecc43d9ca_z.jpg

Love that style FF!! A smidge too big, but oh so comfy looking!

Of course it comes in all sizes, humongous mansions to little more than efficiency apartments and everything in between. We have a territorial style home but nowhere near as lavish as those pictured.

Our own home is just over 2000 sq feet which is fairly small but large enough that Hombre and I don't live right on top of each other and each has sufficient space to do our thing and not annoy the other. We live almost exclusively in the general area of the great room that merges seamlessly into our office area. We can see the big screen TV in the great room from our desks, but it is far enough away that the sound doesn't interfere with the Bose playing music in the office. The office merges seamlessly into the kitchen/dining area--that allows me to do a lot of multi-tasking--and also into a spacious master bedroom with double doors so that we can set up card tables and use that area for extra dining if we need it. The back bedrooms and bath are private from the rest of the house and perfect for our frequent house guests.

Nothing fancy but 100% functional and has been comfortable for us.

Of course it comes in all sizes, humongous mansions to little more than efficiency apartments and everything in between. We have a territorial style home but nowhere near as lavish as those pictured.

Our own home is just over 2000 sq feet which is fairly small but large enough that Hombre and I don't live right on top of each other and each has sufficient space to do our thing and not annoy the other. We live almost exclusively in the general area of the great room that merges seamlessly into our office area. We can see the big screen TV in the great room from our desks, but it is far enough away that the sound doesn't interfere with the Bose playing music in the office. The office merges seamlessly into the kitchen/dining area--that allows me to do a lot of multi-tasking--and also into a spacious master bedroom with double doors so that we can set up card tables and use that area for extra dining if we need it. The back bedrooms and bath are private from the rest of the house and perfect for our frequent house guests.

Our house is just over 2000 sq ft with another 300 or so in the basement, divided into two rooms. The two youngest mainly use that for the computer and tv. Five people, four animals. Hard to find a place to get away from it all! :lol:

Our house is just over 2000 sq ft with another 300 or so in the basement, divided into two rooms. The two youngest mainly use that for the computer and tv. Five people, four animals. Hard to find a place to get away from it all! :lol:

Been there. Done that. But now that we're empty nesters, 2,000 sq ft is just about right. Enough room for each to have his/her own space but small enough to manage for two seasoned citizens that don't like housework all that much. :)

Not a fan of split-levels either, never was. They always felt cramped to me.

In doing some research discovered that brick can be stained. Who knew? Not me. Thought painting was the only option. Also, there is cement rendering, which basically is like a stucco over the brick.

The units house is a typical 1965 design, lower half red brick, upper half white vinyl, blue shutters, light gray/white roof. Red, white and blue!

Hmmm, lots to think about for sure.

It's all I do, they are all great...

I will be starting a contemporary project soon with lake views...

My personal favorite is Mediterranean...

Sent from my SM-T217S using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Still pondering, still looking at new.

I find it disheartening when I know exactly what a house is going to look like on the inside before even setting foot in the place. That's how all new houses are today. Predictable and the layouts are just allll the same. Hmmmm.

Forum List

Back