Open Concept, Traditional ... What's Your House Style?

So we're contemplating moving. We look and look but most everything newer than 1990 or so is soooo borning. Two story foyer, two story family room, open concept living. Blech. We prefer 'semi' open concept ... open via archways in some areas, doors in others. Not a fan of kitchen open to family room at all, hate two story family rooms (will tolerate a two story foyer), LOATHE skylights. The houses we really like (early 1900's that have been updated/rehabbed) are no where near where we want to live. Even new built houses (unless you go custom) are the same, same, same.

My parents house is still sitting there, we have to decide what we're going to do with it this year. It is literally falling apart inside and it is stuck in a different era in well, in all the rooms. But man I can so see the potential in it. Toying with the idea of buying it and renovating. Watch all those HGTV shows (Property Brothers is on now and the houses they renovate are almost always really dumpy in the before and awesome when done -- although if I hear 'open concept' one more time I'll scream! lol) and know that we could change it enough that it would almost feel like a new house.

So what kind of style do you like? I always liked craftsman, Victorian, and traditional style houses.

I run our city's Historic Preservation Commission. I'd strongly suggest that you consider researching your parents' house and returning it to its original state as closely as practicality would permit. Inside and out. You may be able to petition your local government in order to garner an "historic significance" status for the structure. This could lead to (at a minimum) matching funds from local and/or state and possibly, federal sources.

The alternative would be to sell/auction it off and take the chance of it meeting the business end of a bulldozer.

I like small, but open - like a open plan main floor, semi-lofts, good light. With multiple dogs - I don't like to feel like we trip each other up in tight cramped hallways. I like interesting opening, semi-pass through windows, secret passages...

I don't think that is a style though.

It is a style. Eichlers have such open floor plans, but I've never seen one with a loft.

My dream would be to live in a restored historic Victorian home.:)

A Colorful Queen Anne Victorian For Sale in Iowa

We restored one for our office, I was so jealousy we couldn't make it a home. A big problem we ran into was dealing with the historic society, I wouldn't do it again

Our home is large and semi open floor plan, I am sooooo done with open floor plan. Right now I'm negotiating with my husband to put up a wall to separate the kitchen and the family rooms

We restored one for our office, I was so jealousy we couldn't make it a home. A big problem we ran into was dealing with the historic society, I wouldn't do it again

Our home is large and semi open floor plan, I am sooooo done with open floor plan. Right now I'm negotiating with my husband to put up a wall to separate the kitchen and the family rooms

This is why I like mid century houses: separate eat in kitchens. Rooms big enough, but not too big. No giant vaulted ceilings that are waste of space an energy. They are very liveable.

That's very much like our house in town. Its done like a Painted lady. I love the porch curved around the front. Hardwood floors throughout, 5 bedrooms, 3 baths. Sunken tub in the master suite, hot tub in the back yard.

We don't want to keep it but just sold a large property in upstate NY so won't be trying to sell until next year. I'm sick of dealing with real estate and will be really glad to be done with it.

So we're contemplating moving. We look and look but most everything newer than 1990 or so is soooo borning. Two story foyer, two story family room, open concept living. Blech. We prefer 'semi' open concept ... open via archways in some areas, doors in others. Not a fan of kitchen open to family room at all, hate two story family rooms (will tolerate a two story foyer), LOATHE skylights. The houses we really like (early 1900's that have been updated/rehabbed) are no where near where we want to live. Even new built houses (unless you go custom) are the same, same, same.

My parents house is still sitting there, we have to decide what we're going to do with it this year. It is literally falling apart inside and it is stuck in a different era in well, in all the rooms. But man I can so see the potential in it. Toying with the idea of buying it and renovating. Watch all those HGTV shows (Property Brothers is on now and the houses they renovate are almost always really dumpy in the before and awesome when done -- although if I hear 'open concept' one more time I'll scream! lol) and know that we could change it enough that it would almost feel like a new house.

So what kind of style do you like? I always liked craftsman, Victorian, and traditional style houses.

I run our city's Historic Preservation Commission. I'd strongly suggest that you consider researching your parents' house and returning it to its original state as closely as practicality would permit. Inside and out. You may be able to petition your local government in order to garner an "historic significance" status for the structure. This could lead to (at a minimum) matching funds from local and/or state and possibly, federal sources.

The alternative would be to sell/auction it off and take the chance of it meeting the business end of a bulldozer.

Nah, it's not that kind of house. Circa 1965 and it's practically in its original condition just aged, saggy, falling apart in places, and sad. I couldn't live there if it stayed looking like it did when I was a kid. My brother is there atm and it's not good for him ... too many memories cause it looks just like it did when they left, with his stuff smattered throughout. I'd work with the original foot print, leaving some rooms as is, changing others, taking down a wall or two. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Love the victorian homes....but...can't make the stairs any more. Old people need single level but you aren't old. Yet. :lol:

I heard the "new style" of homes being built now, have no living rooms. None. Big kitchen, open, no walls, huge den with it. Nobody uses living rooms any more. Or so they say.
I don't have one. Don't miss it either. Just a den. Less dusting.:lol:

I've noticed on the renovation shows that formal dining rooms seem to be not in demand as much. A big eating area right next to the kitchen with room for a big family table seems to be gaining favor.

My parents house the living room is huge and the den was small, small (which they had put an addition on to but there is a chunk of space in part of it that was totally not used to its full potential). But people entertained differently then. If we decide to renovate it I'd use the living room as the family room and the den would be a study. Both rooms have wood burning fireplaces.

Yes!!! Was never a fan of the open concept. Love the kitchen separate from the rest. I can bang around all I want without worrying about bothering anyone. And most importantly, when I burn something the smoke won't bother them. :D

Love the victorian homes....but...can't make the stairs any more. Old people need single level but you aren't old. Yet. :lol:

Getting there! Would put in a full bath down stairs. My mom and dad would have had a much easier time of it had they done that. Could turn the den into a bedroom if necessary. One floor living - done. Am def thinking down the road!

You could always add a lift.

8b44a8816e8099ce21bca0be32d777b6.jpg

Getting there! Would put in a full bath down stairs. My mom and dad would have had a much easier time of it had they done that. Could turn the den into a bedroom if necessary. One floor living - done. Am def thinking down the road!

Our house is a master suite on the first floor. Worked great, kids upstairs and we can stay put after they've gone

I like just about everything except for the mcmansions. I hate wasted space. I hate open spaces too. And great big giant windows.

Heating's expensive these days. Air conditioning is even more expensive.

You could always add a lift.

8b44a8816e8099ce21bca0be32d777b6.jpg

Love that lift and the house it's in!

It took my dad foreverrrr to finally agree to get one of those chair stairs, even though my mom needed it long before they got it. He waited until the eleventh hour (and then some) before he finally said 'ok, let's move to the retirement place' too. He didn't want to leave. I get that, but ... still. In hindsight it was too little, too late. All the upheaval of moving and eight months later they were both gone. Would have been so much easier on them if they'd stayed put and accepted help.

And I kid you not, they were gone from the house about six weeks and it literally started falling apart. Massive backup in the water line from the washer and kitchen sink, a/c compressor shot, hot water heater broke, hall bathtub leaking, leaking, leaking through the den ceiling, looks like the toilet might be doing some of that as well, a/c guys accidentally put their foot through a bedroom ceiling (my brother never followed through to get them to come back and repair it :rolleyes:), bathroom sink is not draining, garage gutter falling off, possible ice damage under the garage roof. I could go on but you get the picture.

When, I was in real estate, I took my mom out looking for a new house to purchase, as she wanted a two-story ( because of a lake view) but I, thinking of their future needs, showed her one I wanted her to buy, as it had two bedrooms upstairs with adjacent bath and one downstairs, with same. I told her the one downstairs might be needed for her or her hubby, and within a year, she was glad she purchased the one on the lake with the downstairs bedroom, as her hubby became ill and needed it. :thup:

I prefer a house with one floor, sprawling, or one medium-sized apartment with very high ceilings and a terrific view of nothing but Mother Nature. If I had an ocean view, I would prefer two or more floors, depending upon the height of the bluff. I wouldn't want a house on the beach. :nono:

Forum List

Back