Opinion: What Russia can do with AssadTwo scenarios for early elections in Syria

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Another interesting opinion piece.

Opinion: What Russia can do with AssadTwo scenarios for early elections in Syria

10:52, 27 OCTOBER 2015VEDOMOSTI

Since September 30, Russia has been conducting airstrikes against targets inside Syria. Moscow insists that its attacks are against ISIL strongholds, though Western governments and independent groups argue that Russian warplanes are in fact bombing rebel groups engaged in fighting against Syrian troops loyal to President Bashar al-Assad. On October 20, Assad secretly visited Moscow (his first known trip abroad since the start of the Syrian civil war in 2011), where he allegedly discussed holding snap elections in Syria. In an editorial for the newspaper Vedomosti, Pavel Aptekar summarizes the Kremlin's options going forward with Assad, whom the West says cannot be a part of Syria's postwar government.Meduza translates that text here.

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's willingness to hold early presidential elections is clearly the result of talks with Moscow. He made this announcement in Damascus before a delegation of Russian lawmakers, just three days after his own visit to Moscow, where he met with Vladimir Putin. According to Bloomberg, citing an anonymous senior official in Moscow, the Kremlin is insisting on early elections.

Snap elections by themselves are a familiar, time-tested means of reappointing officials in Russia (especially governors). With Assad, there are two, almost contrary options. The first would be simply "renewing" his popular mandate, which Moscow defends as legitimate, despite the West's objections. Yes, holding early elections in a country beset by civil war, and then declaring the winner a legitimate leader, is theoretically possible, but the value of such an undertaking would be zero.

Continue reading at:

Opinion: What Russia can do with Assad | Two scenarios for early elections in Syria?

Why you open tens of threads by day?
Do moderators accept it? :cow:

Poor Freeman, he has a problem with me starting threads. Tell me, Freeman, how many threads have I actually started in say the last week? Is anyone actually forcing you to read any of my threads? Moreover, if you were smart enough to use the Search option, you will see posters making way over a hundred posts a day. So to get back to you, Freeman, as a devout Sunni, do you feel that everyone should have tolerance towards the religious beliefs of others? Do you? You never seem to want to answer.

It certainly would be nice to know if Freeman is one of those extremist Sunni Muslims who have been allowed to emigrate to the West or one of those Muslims who are tolerant of those of other religions while still being devoted to his own religion, which of course no one would have any problem with that.

Forum List

Back