Orlando and Gun Control: An Inconvenient Truth

That nightclub, you know the one Mateen attacked? It was packed with 300 healthy men/women. And nobody took him down. Nobody. Fifty people died instead. He was outnumbered three-hundred to one. Please, don't bother preaching to me about how much safer the world would be with gun control. Even though that club was a vaunted gun-free zone, people still died. It didn't stop a crazed Muslim "jihadi" from mowing people down with an "AR-15" or whatever weapon he used. This gun free zone lulled these poor people into a false sense of security. They soon found out how nonexistent that security was. That alone proves just how ineffectual gun free zones really are.

What if in fact they had been armed? What would have been better, a sign which gives the illusion of security, or a firearm at your side which gives certain security?

What do you think gun-free zones have accomplished? This isn't Star Trek, you can't just raise a forcefield and block crazed gunmen/terrorists from bringing their weapons into the building. It doesn't work that way. I'm sorry to say gun control liberals are too thickheaded to see that. All a gun free zone is, is three words on a sign. Words are meaningless. Signs are meaningless. Words were not going to stop that terrorist from killing people.

This is truly heartbreaking. Gun control liberals think gun-free zones will stop atrocities from happening. Gun control liberals thing gun control laws will stop atrocities from happening. Right. This is like trying to stop a bomb blast with a piece of paper. In essence, that's all gun control laws are, just words written on a piece of paper, just like a gun-free zone sign.

Do you feel that a person that is on a no-fly list should be able to purchase a gun?

I do.

The "no-fly" list is arbitrary and lacks any sort of due process.

A friend of mine who I grew up with was put on the "no-fly" list because he shared (a very common) Arabic name with someone else. It took him more than 5 years and thousands of dollars in legal fees to get it cleared up.

The elephant in the room,is begging for an explanation why the feds had this guy,and all this radically motivated evidence,three times across a desk in a room,yet he still did what he did,this is not a gun problem.
It couldn't be more clear,well for rational people that is.

The PC mentality,and basic incompetence let a mass killer have his day.just how far will we ride the stupid buss?

That nightclub, you know the one Mateen attacked? It was packed with 300 healthy men/women. And nobody took him down. Nobody. Fifty people died instead. He was outnumbered three-hundred to one. Please, don't bother preaching to me about how much safer the world would be with gun control. Even though that club was a vaunted gun-free zone, people still died. It didn't stop a crazed Muslim "jihadi" from mowing people down with an "AR-15" or whatever weapon he used. This gun free zone lulled these poor people into a false sense of security. They soon found out how nonexistent that security was. That alone proves just how ineffectual gun free zones really are.

What if in fact they had been armed? What would have been better, a sign which gives the illusion of security, or a firearm at your side which gives certain security?

What do you think gun-free zones have accomplished? This isn't Star Trek, you can't just raise a forcefield and block crazed gunmen/terrorists from bringing their weapons into the building. It doesn't work that way. I'm sorry to say gun control liberals are too thickheaded to see that. All a gun free zone is, is three words on a sign. Words are meaningless. Signs are meaningless. Words were not going to stop that terrorist from killing people.

This is truly heartbreaking. Gun control liberals think gun-free zones will stop atrocities from happening. Gun control liberals thing gun control laws will stop atrocities from happening. Right. This is like trying to stop a bomb blast with a piece of paper. In essence, that's all gun control laws are, just words written on a piece of paper, just like a gun-free zone sign.

Do you feel that a person that is on a no-fly list should be able to purchase a gun?

The 5th Amendment say no person shall be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process. Meaning a judge should be the only person who can place a person on such a list because it denies them the liberty to travel as they chose. Now you want to deny them the right of self protection also, without due process? That would be down right unAmerican.

This is truly heartbreaking. Gun control liberals think gun-free zones will stop atrocities from happening. Gun control liberals think gun control laws will stop atrocities from happening. Right. This is like trying to stop a bomb blast with a piece of paper. In essence, that's all gun control laws and gun free zone signs are, just words written on a piece of paper, just like a gun-free zone sign.

As I said in another thread, we need to train people on how to take down a shooter. If folks started throwing cell phones, ice, shoes or what ever they could get their hands on to disrupt and distract him while they bum rushed the dude and took him down, they could have saved a bunch of lives? But it requires training to overcome the natural instinct to run or hide.

You're not wrong, but that's not an easy instinct to overcome, even for trained soldiers.

It's pretty hardwired.

That's why I said in the other thread, the training should be started in middle school and continued throughout the remainder of the education system to include colleges. There's no need for coordination during an event because everyone has the same training. I'd bet if the folks in Orlando had doen this no more than 10 would have been injured.

I remember discussing this issue with you in another thread. Even a few untrained gun owners in that crowded club could have turned it into a bigger tragedy. Not to fault the police who did whatever they could, but some of the casualties could have been from their shots, and they are highly trained. It was just an unavoidable and sad situation all around. Playing politics with it is even sadder.

If the Pulse Nightclub’s primary purpose was the selling of alcoholic beverages, which is likely the case, then a Florida resident licensed to carry a concealed firearm is not lawfully allowed to do so in such a venue.

This is the irony of ironies. A club that whose primary purpose is to sell alcohol, but not to take any or all pertinent measures to protect their customers should an event like this occur.

An event like this is an incredibly rare random event. It's not something that the club is responsible for planning for.

I'm getting that if something is "rare" it doesn't need to be accounted for. Call me a neat freak, but I'd want to be just as prepared for the rare happenings as I would be for the common.

If the Pulse Nightclub’s primary purpose was the selling of alcoholic beverages, which is likely the case, then a Florida resident licensed to carry a concealed firearm is not lawfully allowed to do so in such a venue.

This is the irony of ironies. A club that whose primary purpose is to sell alcohol, but not to take any or all pertinent measures to protect their customers should an event like this occur.

An event like this is an incredibly rare random event. It's not something that the club is responsible for planning for.

I'm getting that if something is "rare" it doesn't need to be accounted for. Call me a neat freak, but I'd want to be just as prepared for the rare happenings as I would be for the common.

You are more likely to be killed by a bolt of lightning while walking down the street than be killed by an active shooter in a nightclub. Does that mean you should carry a grounded lightning rod everywhere you go?

I do.

A friend of mine who I grew up with was put on the "no-fly" list because he shared (a very common) Arabic name with someone else. It took him more than 5 years and thousands of dollars in legal fees to get it cleared up.
Actually not.

The ‘no fly’ list can be included in the NICS database with an updated corresponding question on the 4473.

The law authorizing the NICS has a provision allowing those denied the right to appeal the denial or delay.

If the FBI cannot justify the denial in three business days, the gun dealer is allowed to complete the sale, but is not required to do so.

And if the FBI is able to justify the denial, the purchaser is allowed to appeal that determination as well.

No. This is one area which sets me apart from my conservative brethren. But then I would ask that the no-fly list be thorough, not just a random convergence of people the government "thinks" are mentally ill---or terrorists.

I do.

Actually not.

The ‘no fly’ list can be included in the NICS database with an updated corresponding question on the 4473.

The law authorizing the NICS has a provision allowing those denied the right to appeal the denial or delay.

If the FBI cannot justify the denial in three business days, the gun dealer is allowed to complete the sale, but is not required to do so.

And if the FBI is able to justify the denial, the purchaser is allowed to appeal that determination as well.

That's creating a lot of work for the FBI, there's a lot more important things they should spend their time on.

If the Orlando shooter had been denied due to being on the "no fly" list, how could the FBI have justified it?

You are more likely to be killed by a bolt of lightning while walking down the street than be killed by an active shooter in a nightclub. Does that mean you should carry a grounded lightning rod everywhere you go?

It would be advisable not to be outside during a thunderstorm in the first place. But wait... we've had this type of discussion before; about being struck by lightning. It was in a thread dealing with Syrian refugees.

Even if there is a 1 in 20 million chance of being hit by lightning, it shouldn't stop people from enacting safety measures to prevent such an occurrence. Why do you think they tell people to vacate a golf course during a thunderstorm? Or stay away from trees? Why do you think they put lightning rods on tall buildings?

This is truly heartbreaking. Gun control liberals think gun-free zones will stop atrocities from happening. Gun control liberals think gun control laws will stop atrocities from happening. Right. This is like trying to stop a bomb blast with a piece of paper. In essence, that's all gun control laws and gun free zone signs are, just words written on a piece of paper, just like a gun-free zone sign.

As I said in another thread, we need to train people on how to take down a shooter. If folks started throwing cell phones, ice, shoes or what ever they could get their hands on to disrupt and distract him while they bum rushed the dude and took him down, they could have saved a bunch of lives? But it requires training to overcome the natural instinct to run or hide.

You're not wrong, but that's not an easy instinct to overcome, even for trained soldiers.

It's pretty hardwired.

That's why I said in the other thread, the training should be started in middle school and continued throughout the remainder of the education system to include colleges. There's no need for coordination during an event because everyone has the same training. I'd bet if the folks in Orlando had doen this no more than 10 would have been injured.

I remember discussing this issue with you in another thread. Even a few untrained gun owners in that crowded club could have turned it into a bigger tragedy. Not to fault the police who did whatever they could, but some of the casualties could have been from their shots, and they are highly trained. It was just an unavoidable and sad situation all around. Playing politics with it is even sadder.

I'm talking about unarmed intervention, and yes it could have been avoided if people had kept their heads and taken the guy down. I'm not saying there would be zero injuries, but it wouldn't have been close to 100+ either.

It would be advisable not to be outside during a thunderstorm in the first place. But wait... we've had this type of discussion before; about being struck by lightning. It was a in a thread dealing with Syrian refugees.

Even if there is a 1 in 20 million chance of being hit by lightning, it doesn't stop people from enacting safety measures to prevent such an occurrence. Why do you think they tell people to vacate a golf course? Or stay away from trees?

If you want to stay away from nightclubs without enough security, that's fine with me. If you want to tell others to do the same, go for it.

On the other hand, I'm not going to worry about it. I don't go to nightclubs very often, but the specter of a possible active shooter situation is not going to keep me away.

Living life to it's fullest requires accepting that risks exist, and deciding not to worry about all of them.

On the other hand, I'm not going to worry about it. I don't go to nightclubs very often, but the specter of a possible active shooter situation is not going to keep me away.

All I'm saying in this situation is to be prepared for anything, I'm not suggesting you stay away due to a fear of a mass murder.

Last edited:

All I'm saying in this situation is to be prepared for anything, not run away in fear.

Actually, running away in fear is usually the safest option in a situation like that.

I do.

Actually not.

That is NOT DUE PROCESS, before liberty is denied as required in the 5th Amendment.

Think about this. People who don't drink don't normally go to bars. People with CC license are not allowed to carry where alcohol is dispensed in most states. North Carolina just recently changed the law and you can carry in a bar, however you aren't allowed to drink. In either case you can lose your CC license if you break the rule.

Yes, that's what we're discussing. Do you agree or disagree with those laws?
I agree with those laws. A bar that size should have armed bouncers. I was in the Atlanta Hard Rock Cafe recently and I noticed a couple bouncers with hand cuffs and concealed weapons.

Obviously not concealed enough. :D

One thing that really bothers me is the total lack of preparedness by the club. This is after Paris. Establishments better start getting their shit wired tight. It's the world we live in now.

That isn't the answer. The answer is to actually deal with Islamic terrorism.

We let all kind of people in the country, assuming they're here for a good reason.

It doesn't matter if they hate our country if they can't get here.

Actually, running away in fear is usually the safest option in a situation like that.

Maybe for the customers. What about those tasked with the duty of keeping them safe?

Bouncers are usually trained on how to respond to shootings, but 99% of shootings that occur in nightclubs are not random, like this one was.

If something like this had happened at a club while I was working there, I don't know what I would have done. I'd like to think that I'd respond well, and coordinate with the other bouncers to take the shooter down, but I don't know. The "flight" reflex is hard for even trained soldiers to overcome.

Forum List

Back