Paying reparations in America would be immoral- The reality of slavery in America versus everywhere else

Ok, let’s go with this. So…do you think all white people are afforded the same opportunities as all other white people? Do you think there is some “white card” that white people can flash, then suddenly they get all their wants and desires?

Are you suggesting that, because of their skin color, that every white person has the capability to be millionaires and wealthy and such and if they don’t..it’s because of bad choices?

There are a lot of hard working white people out there who are just as bad off as any black person, and their “white privilege” didn’t help them any. The fact is, many white people are not afforded opportunities like you think they are. Some make bad choices, some are just never given an opportunity.

However, there are some reparations commissions who think that we should give every black person 5 million dollars, $1 dollar homes, and $97,000 per person guaranteed income for the next 250 years. Some want college benefits etc.

They essentially want to make every black person in America wealthy…even though not every white person in America is wealthy.

Here’s the thing..you say white people made bad choices, and that’s why they are where they are, well, there are many black people who would also have made bad choices, and end up where they are as well, so, given that, why does every black person get to be a wealthy person?

Even if every black person had been given 40 acres and mules, there are those of them who would have made bad choices and squandered their assets.

So then, how do you decide who gets to be wealthy, and get education benefits and who doesn’t?

The end result of what you are suggesting is that, had everything been done right after slavery ended, that every black person would have ended up rich and only a fraction of white people would have ended up rich? All things being equal, the percentages would have worked out the same. Only a percentage of white AND blacks would have ended up being wealthy.
I would agree with you if you can show me that the injustices that were inflicted on black folks were also done to white folks. I don't believe most of you understand or try to understand what was done to black folks during slavery. I don't think you understand or want to understand what was done to black folks during Jim Crow.

Why are whites making these kinds of comments after being given trillions of dollars worth of economic assistance from the government that blacks were denied and yetthey still ask for more today?
Can you name people today who were given economic assistance or tell me how much each of us got? No, because whites today have no more assistance than you do. The gov must have forgotten about stopping by my house.

I think every victim of injustice deserves justice. I'm black and so are many in my family and none of us deserve reparations for American injustice because none of us were victims of American injustice.

Sure, but with the amounts that some are talking about for reparations, how would they justify making every eligible black person a multi millionaire. Invariably, there would have been a percentage of black people who ended up poor, even if they had been given the same opportunities

So, how would we square, in today’s world, making every eligible black person multi millionaires over night? Or even if it was education benefits or homes or jobs, how do we reconcile that every black person should get it when we don’t know the circumstance of every black person, and how they would have ended up even if they had all the opportunities?

The problem with the argument is that people disingenuously attaches them to slavery and have ignored the 100 years past slavery, or continuing racsm today.
You don’t get compensated for racism, you goofy shit. People are discriminated against for many reasons. Women were oppressed, no compensation. Quit begging for freebies.

I would agree with you if you can show me that the injustices that were inflicted on black folks were also done to white folks. I don't believe most of you understand or try to understand what was done to black folks during slavery. I don't think you understand or want to understand what was done to black folks during Jim Crow.

Hey, I agree that black people suffered injustice and I think some form of compensation is in order, because I recognize what was lost over the decades that discrimination was rampant, but, I am just trying to figure out how it would be dispensed, because even if black people had equal opportunities from the very beginning, not every one would be in a good situation today.

Inevitably, about the same percentage of black people who ended up poor would be the same as the percentage of white people who ended up poor.

So making every black person wealthy, or giving them free homes, or free college wouldn’t be fair to those white people who also didn’t have opportunities

Also, what do you think would happen to the economy if they gave every black person 5 million dollars, inflation and price increases would price average white families out of buying homes, vehicles, food and other services.

Colleges would jack their prices up because government subsidized education would mean they can charge higher prices.

I mean, aside from how the reparations were distributed, there are a lot of other things to consider

Sure, but with the amounts that some are talking about for reparations, how would they justify making every eligible black person a multi millionaire. Invariably, there would have been a percentage of black people who ended up poor, even if they had been given the same opportunities
Which really isn't the point. Think about the people who have been wrongly convicted of crimes and compensated to the tune of millions because they spent decades in jail. Would all those people have become millionaires? Who cares. The point is that the were victims of injustice. Asking what justifies it is missing entirely what justice even is. Justice is the act of righting injustice.
So, how would we square, in today’s world, making every eligible black person multi millionaires over night? Or even if it was education benefits or homes or jobs, how do we reconcile that every black person should get it when we don’t know the circumstance of every black person, and how they would have ended up even if they had all the opportunities?
What would make them eligible for justice is having been victims of injustice.

Can you name people today who were given economic assistance or tell me how much each of us got? No, because whites today have no more assistance than you do. The gov must have forgotten about stopping by my house.
They did it for your grandparents.

Of course you can't, because to a racist you don't think anything wrong was done to black folks to begin with.
A racist believes in the genetic inferiority of other races

Which is not me

I know that black people are capable of success if they stop making stupid decisions about their life

In discussion of the experiences of being black in America, the hundred plus years of racial discrimination that took place after slavery's end shouldn't be forgotten. As far as reparations go, not being black I'm not aware of most programs that are already out there, what has worked and what hasn't over the years, and start from there. I have my doubts about any government program but am willing to at least listen.

Forum List

Back