PBS, Vanessa Williams spark backlash over ‘black national anthem’

I heard it driving home last night on XM Radion (NPR carried it).

Nothing was wrong with the National Anthem. Conservatives simply have too much hate and too little time on their hands .

Our Anthem is for ALL Americans. Having separate ones divides us even further.
In 1776 was black folks considered as Americans?

Time for you to refresh your history knowledge. The Star Spangled Banner didn't become the official National Anthem until 1931.

Actually is was used a lot earlier as shown here:

Wikipedia,

"The Star-Spangled Banner" was recognized for official use by the United States Navy in 1889, and by U.S. president Woodrow Wilson in 1916, and was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution on March 3, 1931 (46 Stat. 1508, codified at 36 U.S.C. § 301), which was signed by President Herbert Hoover.

Before 1931, other songs served as the hymns of U.S. officialdom. "Hail, Columbia" served this purpose at official functions for most of the 19th century. "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", whose melody is identical to "God Save the Queen", the United Kingdom's national anthem,[3] also served as a de facto national anthem.[4] Following the War of 1812 and subsequent U.S. wars, other songs emerged to compete for popularity at public events, among them "America the Beautiful", which itself was being considered before 1931 as a candidate to become the national anthem of the United States."

bolding mine

So one can argue Obama’s Arab DNA all the way to Olduai Gorge. Where is the Indigenous national Anthem?
If that is the case then we can argue your European DNA, see other than the Native American nobody originated from this country.

Actually that isn't true since the so called "native" American came from Asia.
And we ALL came from Africa.
i came from NY.....never been to Africa....

Nothing was wrong with the National Anthem. Conservatives simply have too much hate and too little time on their hands .

Our Anthem is for ALL Americans. Having separate ones divides us even further.
In 1776 was black folks considered as Americans?

Time for you to refresh your history knowledge. The Star Spangled Banner didn't become the official National Anthem until 1931.

Actually is was used a lot earlier as shown here:

Wikipedia,

"The Star-Spangled Banner" was recognized for official use by the United States Navy in 1889, and by U.S. president Woodrow Wilson in 1916, and was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution on March 3, 1931 (46 Stat. 1508, codified at 36 U.S.C. § 301), which was signed by President Herbert Hoover.

Before 1931, other songs served as the hymns of U.S. officialdom. "Hail, Columbia" served this purpose at official functions for most of the 19th century. "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", whose melody is identical to "God Save the Queen", the United Kingdom's national anthem,[3] also served as a de facto national anthem.[4] Following the War of 1812 and subsequent U.S. wars, other songs emerged to compete for popularity at public events, among them "America the Beautiful", which itself was being considered before 1931 as a candidate to become the national anthem of the United States."

bolding mine

Absolutely, but it didn't become the official National Anthem until 1931.

Blacks of today are all about segregation.

"PBS has sparked tense backlash with its decision to have Vanessa Williams perform the “black national anthem” during its July 4 coverage — with critics blasting the move as divisive and un-American.

Williams’ performance on the station’s annual Capitol Fourth program Sunday evening is intended to celebrate the recognition of Juneteenth’s establishment as a federal holiday.

“It’s in celebration of the wonderful opportunity that we now have to celebrate Juneteenth. So we are reflective of the times,” the actress and singer, who was the first black woman to win the Miss America Pageant, told the Associated Press."

What is unAmerican about it, aren't black folks Americans as well.

I can't believe you just said that. You answered your own question.
The fact that black folks ARE Americans means the National Anthem is their Anthem as well. Sheesh.
What a shame they refused to play the National Anthem then.....oh, wait.

The right wing rage-machine is going full blast. That much is certain.
But it is still stuck on the "Terrified Pussies" setting. So we get treated to all of this cutesy, "Who, me? I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'" racism from a bunch of winking shitheels.

Yup, nothing wrong with dividing America more and segregation of black culture. It’s time to accept the fact that these blacks who don’t accept American culture aren’t real Americans. Soon we can make the segregation legal and permanent and have them form their own nation, “Black America”, and their citizenship of America can be revoked. That way they can have their own government and cities, where they can’t be oppressed by whites anymore.

"Real Americans" don't storm the capitol much less bring confederate flags with them. Perhaps we should find every blob supporter and revoke their citizenship.

What is your definition of a Trump supporter? Is it someone who voted against Democrats or the rednecks that vandalized the Capitol?
the rednecks who stormed the capitol
and the ones who minimized what they did.

Essentially everyone who voted for the blob.

So you are basically saying “anyone who does not vote like you”. You are going to take their citizenship. This sounds like something Castro would do…… ironic given that he led a storming of Havana. By your own assessment, do you really equate the efforts and results of rednecks trespassing and vandalism at the US Capitol to the efforts and results of Castro? Do you really believe the US Democracy was ever under attack?

When America’s small businesses are attacked and it is justified as a free form of protest and criminals are given a pass to walk in and steal without punishment, it is clear Capitalism is under more threat than the Capitol.

Those who support the injuring and killing of capitol police during an attempt to stop the peaceful transfer of power doesn't seem to understand our nation's core principles.
Our Nation’s core principles include “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” How does giving criminals and thugs a pass to violate these core tenets when they torch businesses, steal from businesses, and commit violence against shop owners indicate a command of our Nation’s core principles?
"criminals and thugs"? All over the singing of a song on the 4th of July? Wow! We really need CRT.
CRT? Why? How else do you describe the behavior of those who torch and loot businesses and commit violence against the people who own and operate these businesses? In your eyes, are they saints? Heroes? Crusaders?

Not sure how CRT is going to help that.

So one can argue Obama’s Arab DNA all the way to Olduai Gorge. Where is the Indigenous national Anthem?
If that is the case then we can argue your European DNA, see other than the Native American nobody originated from this country.

You came from Africa as did we all.

Yup, nothing wrong with dividing America more and segregation of black culture. It’s time to accept the fact that these blacks who don’t accept American culture aren’t real Americans. Soon we can make the segregation legal and permanent and have them form their own nation, “Black America”, and their citizenship of America can be revoked. That way they can have their own government and cities, where they can’t be oppressed by whites anymore.

"Real Americans" don't storm the capitol much less bring confederate flags with them. Perhaps we should find every blob supporter and revoke their citizenship.

What is your definition of a Trump supporter? Is it someone who voted against Democrats or the rednecks that vandalized the Capitol?
the rednecks who stormed the capitol
and the ones who minimized what they did.

Essentially everyone who voted for the blob.

So you are basically saying “anyone who does not vote like you”. You are going to take their citizenship. This sounds like something Castro would do…… ironic given that he led a storming of Havana. By your own assessment, do you really equate the efforts and results of rednecks trespassing and vandalism at the US Capitol to the efforts and results of Castro? Do you really believe the US Democracy was ever under attack?

When America’s small businesses are attacked and it is justified as a free form of protest and criminals are given a pass to walk in and steal without punishment, it is clear Capitalism is under more threat than the Capitol.

Those who support the injuring and killing of capitol police during an attempt to stop the peaceful transfer of power doesn't seem to understand our nation's core principles.
Our Nation’s core principles include “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” How does giving criminals and thugs a pass to violate these core tenets when they torch businesses, steal from businesses, and commit violence against shop owners indicate a command of our Nation’s core principles?
"criminals and thugs"? All over the singing of a song on the 4th of July? Wow! We really need CRT.
CRT? Why? How else do you describe the behavior of those who torch and loot businesses and commit violence against the people who own and operate these businesses? In your eyes, are they saints? Heroes? Crusaders?

Not sure how CRT is going to help that.
Vandals and arsonists are criminals and should be arrested and charged. Do you actually believe that CRT is about teaching that they are "saints? heroes? crusaders?"

take your hideous ass back .

You came from Africa as did we all.
oh you mean ancestral wise....im Sicilian....my family has Moor blood entrenched within us.....

CRT? Why? How else do you describe the behavior of those who torch and loot businesses and commit violence against the people who own and operate these businesses? In
Uh...you kind of just answered your own question, in no small part.
has blm offered to help pay for the black owned businesses that got burt down during their fiery but mostly peaceful protests ?

CRT? Why? How else do you describe the behavior of those who torch and loot businesses and commit violence against the people who own and operate these businesses? In
How?
CRT is the attempted answer to the question of why the people we see doing that in urban areas have browner skin at a higher rate than the national average.

But you are free to formulate an alternative hypothesis that it is due to genetic proclivity. You would not be the first, and the number of people who would pat you on the back for it seems to be growing. Hell, you could start a nifty little club just with white wing shitgibbons from this message board.

has blm offered to help pay for the black owned businesses that got burt down during their fiery but mostly peaceful protests ?
I am not your assistant. Make your points.

i am sure the song was wonderful, it’s a great tune and she a wonderful singer

But you don’t have a problem with segratation? I mean yeah Conservatives have always take. issue with it, it runs foul with our Constitution. I see the left continues to embrace it and encourage it though...which is nothing new

How?
CRT is the attempted answer to the question of why the people we see doing that in urban areas have browner skin at a higher rate than the national average.

But you are free to formulate an alternative hypothesis that it is due to genetic proclivity. You would not be the first, and the number of people who would pat you on the back for it seems to be growing. Hell, you could start a nifty little club just with white wing shitgibbons from this message board.
Where and how did I bring in race; in particular “browner skin”? I am married to a browner skin minority and have browner skin children. Further, I don’t care if it is urban areas or rural sticks or “why” people choose to torch, loot, and commit violence against peoples’ livelihood. Since you are emphasizing urban areas and browner skin, most of the victims of the violence I am pointing to are of browner skin. Here’s a theory: “Don’t commit the violence because when you do, you hurt the community.”

Forum List

Back