Zone1 People of color vs colored people

What's the difference? It's the same thing except one would be taken as racist while the other is fairly common and accepted speech.
It’s two different ways of expressing the same concept, except one is now more or less obligatory and the other is politically incorrect (bordering on a capital offense).

Your ticket to the local reeducation camp is ready.

It’s two different ways of expressing the same concept, except one is now more or less obligatory and the other is politically incorrect (bordering on a capital offense).

Your ticket to the local reeducation camp is ready.
Why though? It's the same thing. If it's racist for me to call somebody a colored person it should also be racist for me to call them a person of color.

Seems we’ve come full circle: colored people, negroes, blacks, African Americans, and now people of color.

It's politically correct speech to mean black people and / or hispanics, and when you control the language, you control how people think and react / respond.

Well is it just the terminology which can be derogatory or just a statement. The important issues is how people behave and their actions rather than what they say. Indians say white man speaks with fork tongue. The language is unimportant but the behavior is what provides the context. White is a color.

If I'm not mistaken, the largest advocacy organization for the descendants of Black African enslaved people is the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF COLORED PEOPLE.

It may be that the organization was poorly named, because at its inception it did not recognize the entire spectrum of races and ethnicities that we now refer to as "people of color." But regardless, it definitely referred to the aforesaid African-Americans.

When I was a Yoot, calling a Black person, "Black" was fighting words. A common method of insult among such people was, for example, "Yo mama is blacker than mine!"

What's the difference? It's the same thing except one would be taken as racist while the other is fairly common and accepted speech.
What is the difference between a man and a woman? Your side cant even figure that out, let alone people of color or colored people/

If I'm not mistaken, the largest advocacy organization for the descendants of Black African enslaved people is the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF COLORED PEOPLE.

It may be that the organization was poorly named, because at its inception it did not recognize the entire spectrum of races and ethnicities that we now refer to as "people of color." But regardless, it definitely referred to the aforesaid African-Americans.

When I was a Yoot, calling a Black person, "Black" was fighting words. A common method of insult among such people was, for example, "Yo mama is blacker than mine!"
In the early 1900's that was the term used for blacks by whites. The reason why we don't like the term is because it is a term whites used to define us. We feel that whites don't have the right to define us. Nobody defined whites. Whites defined themselves as white. We should be allowed the same ability without white morons running their mouths about it.

In the early 1900's that was the term used for blacks by whites. The reason why we don't like the term is because it is a term whites used to define us. We feel that whites don't have the right to define us. Nobody defined whites. Whites defined themselves as white. We should be allowed the same ability without white morons running their mouths about it.

I love colored people! :afro:

Lol! Stop being white trying to tell us what we can call ourselves. In your last sentence, the fight would have been caused because of an insult to someones mother.

Lol! Stop being white trying to tell us what we can call ourselves. In your last sentence, the fight would have been caused because of an insult to someones mother.
I don't mind whatever black people call themselves. It's just so similar that it seems bizarre.

We feel that whites don't have the right to define us.
I must say that using the term "people of color" is a lot better than using the term "Nigga". But then again, my buddy doesnt really appreciate it when blacks use that term as a term of endearment. Just proves how low class black people have become.

Seems we’ve come full circle: colored people, negroes, blacks, African Americans, and now people of color.
Remember the back of a magazine that would show images of something changing over the years and then coming full circle the same as in the beginning.

Forum List

Back