People Stop Living at Home with your Mom and Dad.

Attitudes in the rest of the world are different. In the Orient, four generations under one roof is normal and expected, especially in wealthy families. It is partly social insurance and partly comfort level.

The drawback is incredible hen fights.

LOL, I'll bet that is for sure.

Here in America we farm out our parents to a nursing home as soon as we can.

As for my contribution....we are also seeing a trend of elders moving in with their children. Are we to see a thread condemning this any time soon?

(Sad if one cannot rely on family, who can they rely on?)

That is turning around?

Well I guess unless they want to lose the family homestead to the govt for nursing home costs...

There have been an unusual number of 5th and 6th year high school students where I teach. And many of my seniors this year don't seem too eager to graduate. This generation is suffering from "arrested development" Even my own son wants to come home from college every other weekend. I worry about the males in this age group. It seem girls are doing much better.

I think the timing of this is kinda sad. There are tons of people that have been laid off lately and a lot more to come. People are going to have to start doubling up sooner or later.

(and I wouldn't mind it a bit if one of mine came home for a while :eusa_angel: )

What. the. fuck.

This thread is so bad that I'm finding myself agreeing with Jen. :eusa_eh: :lol:

Though I would use much stronger language to describe it than kinda sad. Pathetic would be just a starter.

I had the same problem. :eek:

I'd have even had to rep her if i wasn't out of rep.

There have been an unusual number of 5th and 6th year high school students where I teach. And many of my seniors this year don't seem too eager to graduate. This generation is suffering from "arrested development" Even my own son wants to come home from college every other weekend. I worry about the males in this age group. It seem girls are doing much better.

I was the youngest son and the last to leave home, I think it broke my Mom's heart. I think you ought to enjoy it while it lasts.

Its the most pathetic things on the face of the earth and quite unnatural in so many. Most animals have an instinct to leave the nest and ferret on their own. Your parents did their job raising you until you were 18 so why should they have to take care of you.

Have some self-respect and be homeless if you can't make it!

I have a few friends in medical school that still live in the basement. It saves them from having to take out "loans to live".

Sounds pretty smart to me.

You are right though, they probably won't "make it" and need "self-respect".

Gotta love blanket statements.

Its the most pathetic things on the face of the earth and quite unnatural in so many. Most animals have an instinct to leave the nest and ferret on their own. Your parents did their job raising you until you were 18 so why should they have to take care of you.

Somebody just got their own apartment, methinks.

Does your mother know you wrote this?

She does. She helped him write it to try and give him some incentive to move out.

I had my son move into the USF dorms when he was 16 0r 17.
I had him move back in this summer as he was getting behind in studies holding down 2 jobs. He is a much better person, He hasnt rollled his eyes at me once since coming back

Lighten up Francis

bill_murray-stripes1981-1330.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: del
In most cases, it's not pathetic, and it's certainly not unnatural. Before the government decided we should no longer be personally responsible for our elderly parents or our children with young families, families remained together, often forever. Certainly it was common for men to live with their parents until they were married and often after, until they either could afford their own home or inherited their parents. Young couples who are getting on their feet often will remain at home with their parents for the same reasons...my sister and brother in law, both working attorneys, spent several years living in the basement apartment of his parents' house before building their own home on the family homestead. When his uncle lost tens of millions of dollars and went bankrupt in the 70s, he moved his entire family to (then) Taiwan, where my brother's family was living during the time my brother in law was serving in Viet Nam (they moved there so they could easily see him on his furloughs).

My son currently is living with his wife and baby in the basement apartment of my sister's home. He's attending school and his wife works full time. They aren't pathetic, it's not unnatural. It's the way families support upwardly mobile members.

My daughter-in-law is seriously considering coming to stay with me if my son is deployed to Iraq and her time in the military is up. Fine by me. My elderly mother (who currently works full time) will eventually come to live with me as well.

And I've lived with her off and on during my adult life, with my children, when times called for it.

What is abnormal is bolting from the nest at 17 and never going home again, expecting the government to look after your folks in their old age and fund you if you're too much of a loser to work or you get knocked.

Last edited:

Somebody just got their own apartment, methinks.

yeah, he finally talked dad into cosigning

Extended family networks are certainly the norm for the human species, or have been and still are in much of the world. It's some so-called "civilized" people who are too selfish to care about their sick, their elderly or their young who seem to think a cardboard box or a nursing home is the place to shove them so their own little lives can be undisturbed. Heaven forbid we might decide to give a hand up to one of our own once in a while. Family providing a safety net and a launch pad! Oh, the horror!

A hell of a lot of people are unemployed or underemployed right now for reasons other than being "pathetic" or lacking in "self-respect". It takes a real asshole to turn your back on family in need.

We live in the age of "What do you want to be?" being asked to 13 year old kids.
Hell, I was out of the home at age 17 but did not figure out what I wanted to do until age 30.
The "you can be whatever you want to be" BS that is told to kids by most parents is the problem.
How many astronauts are there? Less than 100. How many NFL players? 1500. How many this and that.
Kids get this crap from birth and then find out that it is not REALITY.
Get a group of teenagers together and hear the "I want to be a rapper, NBA star, MLB pitcher" whatever.

Tell that to the millions who lost their homes to foreclosure. You know why so many have lost their homes to foreclosure? Health care money they don't have.

Where else are unwed mothers going to go when "abstinence only" fails? Or when parents make fun of "liberal elitist" education causing their children to "drop out" so they won't become one of those "liberal elites"?

You reap what you sow.

Attitudes in the rest of the world are different. In the Orient, four generations under one roof is normal and expected, especially in wealthy families. It is partly social insurance and partly comfort level.

The drawback is incredible hen fights.

I've always found that aspect of the culture to be interesting. The fact they respect their elders so much and everything is a great thing.

At least two generations living in one household wasn't unusual until around the late 50's right here in the good ol' USA. All those big old houses you see now converted into apartments were once used by entire families (alas, many with only one bathroom). I can recall as a child listening to my grandmother scream in pain from cancer from her room because there was no treatment for it at the time, no health insurance, and it was unheard of to simply commit the elderly to a place out of sight and therefore out of mind.

I don't see this as necessaryily being a negative. If the 18 year old is employed and contributing to the household, he could in fact be an asset to his parents if he's living at home.

If only. I suspect a good majority of them just find it more convenient to be able to play computer games and watch TV all day, and have the kind of freedom they enjoyed before they graduated and thought it would be so great getting away from mummie and daddie. Looking for work is hard work all by itself, to which many spoiled younguns today just say no. And then the rent comes due.

I think the timing of this is kinda sad. There are tons of people that have been laid off lately and a lot more to come. People are going to have to start doubling up sooner or later.

(and I wouldn't mind it a bit if one of mine came home for a while :eusa_angel: )

What. the. fuck.

This thread is so bad that I'm finding myself agreeing with Jen. :eusa_eh: :lol:

Though I would use much stronger language to describe it than kinda sad. Pathetic would be just a starter.

I had the same problem. :eek:

I'd have even had to rep her if i wasn't out of rep.

I tried too, then I went to see where she got her cute emoticon and I was glad I couldn't.

Forum List

Back