Perspective: Murder by 'assault weapon'

I imagine part of why gun deaths are less are because it's more difficult and expensive to buy a gun. I'm all for the right to bear arms, but I wouldn't mind making it a little more difficult.

As I've posted before I was in and out of a gun store with a 12 guage shotty in less than 15 minutes and it seemed very strange to me that it was so easy.

Why? Do you support delaying legal purchases just cause you don't understand a right is a right? It takes all of a couple minutes to run a background check. Assuming one is required at all.

If I want to buy a hand gun I have to get a permit from the Sheriff, he has 5 days to give it to me. If I buy a rifle or shotgun it is just a matter of going in and buying them with a simple Federal form declaring I am who I say I am and declaring I am not disqualified by law.

You have a right to vote. But, you must register to do that
Because the only way the right to vote can be meaningfully exercised is for the government to make sure that everyone votes just once, and in the right place -- that is, voter registration is an necessary and inherent part of the right to vote.

-How does that translate to the right to arms?
-How does the number of murders per year involving 'assault rifles' support a sound argument for banning them?

I imagine part of why gun deaths are less are because it's more difficult and expensive to buy a gun. I'm all for the right to bear arms, but I wouldn't mind making it a little more difficult.

As I've posted before I was in and out of a gun store with a 12 guage shotty in less than 15 minutes and it seemed very strange to me that it was so easy.

I'm assuming you are a law-abiding citizen, and that they ran a background check with didn't turn anything up. So the process went smoothly, confirmed that you where not a known danger, and let you buy a gun.
If you are a convicted criminal I'll worry a little more.

Most people, even the majority of gun owners, support background checks and various other method to keep guns out of the hands of people who have proven they can't be trusted with them. Gun owners tend to take offense when politicians try to implement measures that make it harder for people with no criminal record or history of violence to buy guns, because it's essentially assuming everyone is guilty until proven innocent.

They also don't like politicians who pass laws and regulations that that don't really address the issue they claim to be solving. For example, I haven't heard (yet) of a single proposal by anyone that would have actually have succeeded in stopping the Sandy Hook massacre.

"Assault Rifles" is a meaningless term, virtually all guns have a "military grip" and the ones that don't work pretty much exactly the same, it takes mere seconds for a trained gunman to swap between magazines, etc etc etc.
Find me something that can actually accomplish what the anti-gun lobby claims and I assure you there will be plenty of backing for it.

Forum List

Back