Pete Buttigieg Twists Christianity: ‘Salvation’ Depends on Being ‘Useful.’

Do remember that "The Vatican" is merely a collective name for whatever group of guys was running an institution at any given point in human history, guys who have very consciously excluded the other half of the human species from the institution. It's just a boys' club. Their claim to having some sort of authority is absurd. BTW: over the course of centuries, these boys have screwed up big-time.
I agree with you. They lost their way and became a tradition of men. Christians should study the Bible and follow Jesus, the Head of the Church, not a Pope.

But do not take the bible as inerrant or infallible, learn to take much of what is in it as allegory. strip away anything that cannot be attributed to Jesus himself (like Paul, Timothy, Revelations), and consider all ancient pertinent writings including the Gnostic Gospels.

Learn to discern that which is connected to the thoughts and teachings of Jesus, and those writers who were merely concerned with continuing the primitive customs of the day, like a woman being "unclean" after childbirth and "unclean" for a certain time depending on the sex of the child she had, and requiring a guy to impregnate his dead brother's wife. I'm not even going to touch on animal sacrifices.

Also, compare it to what was going on spiritually among people all over the earth at the same time. There are deeper meanings to all of this that are universal among humans.
If you claim to be a Christian and don't believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, you're a wolf in sheep's clothing.

The bible is not the "inerrant Word of God." This is a protestant fundamentalist belief.
No, it's a Christian belief that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. Jesus quoted Scripture. Jesus commissioned the Apostle Paul.

It is a sectarian belief, not a belief shared by all Christians, that the bible is the inerrant word of God. This is a protestant fundamentalist notion. Jesus never even met paul.

If he’s engaging in homosexual practices he’s not a Christian

It's funny. It seems you can engage in every other thing the Bible speaks out about and still be a Christian but for some, this seems to be the exception.

Franklin Graham will explain away Trump's many adulterous affairs. His taking the Lord's name in vain but this? Well that's just not acceptable.
There's no excuse for adulterous affairs.
Interesting you would say that on my post
I am the result of an affair.
Neither wanted me around so I was put up for adoption.
Ancestry.com solved this 70 year mystery.

About 6 years ago, my sister was contacted by a woman who claimed to be our sister. Our uncle confirmed to us that our mother had had a baby girl as the product of an affair, and he had paid her hospital bill for the delivery. We have welcomed our sister into the family. I hope your experience is similar.

I found a right wing "family values" Christian website that defined "adultery" as a relationship between a man and a women who is betrothed, or married. If the woman is single, and the man is married, it's not adultery. So these right wing hypocrites have found a way to excuse adulterous affairs. These hypocrites can justify anything.
There's no question Trump has a past. But he's done more for people of faith than any preceding president. So maybe there's hope for the old goat after all

He hasn't done ANYTHING for people of faith. He has pandered to the worst instincts of the religious right on abortion, birth control, moving the American embassy to Jerusalem. In terms of protection religious minorities, attacks on synagogues and mosques have increased, as have mass shootings in churches, and he's attempted to ban all Muslim immigration as well as trying to codify discrimination against minorities on the basis of religious beliefs. Those are attacks on the religious freedoms of the majority of Americans.

Last but not least, Trump isn't doing this on the basis of right and wrong, he's trying to ensure the religious right continues to instruct their parishoners to vote for him.
The fewer muslims in the United States the better.

It's funny. It seems you can engage in every other thing the Bible speaks out about and still be a Christian but for some, this seems to be the exception.
Franklin Graham will explain away Trump's many adulterous affairs. His taking the Lord's name in vain but this? Well that's just not acceptable.
Yeah. And one need only look at good ol' USMB to see how some who claim to be "Christian" soil the notion every single day here.
To say someone is or is not a good Christian by what they post on usmb is a bit of a stretch.

The language many use can certainly make one question it.

I agree with you. They lost their way and became a tradition of men. Christians should study the Bible and follow Jesus, the Head of the Church, not a Pope.

But do not take the bible as inerrant or infallible, learn to take much of what is in it as allegory. strip away anything that cannot be attributed to Jesus himself (like Paul, Timothy, Revelations), and consider all ancient pertinent writings including the Gnostic Gospels.

Learn to discern that which is connected to the thoughts and teachings of Jesus, and those writers who were merely concerned with continuing the primitive customs of the day, like a woman being "unclean" after childbirth and "unclean" for a certain time depending on the sex of the child she had, and requiring a guy to impregnate his dead brother's wife. I'm not even going to touch on animal sacrifices.

Also, compare it to what was going on spiritually among people all over the earth at the same time. There are deeper meanings to all of this that are universal among humans.
If you claim to be a Christian and don't believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, you're a wolf in sheep's clothing.

The bible is not the "inerrant Word of God." This is a protestant fundamentalist belief.
No, it's a Christian belief that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. Jesus quoted Scripture. Jesus commissioned the Apostle Paul.

It is a sectarian belief, not a belief shared by all Christians, that the bible is the inerrant word of God. This is a protestant fundamentalist notion. Jesus never even met paul.
If you don't believe the Bible, you're not a believer. Period.

Jesus spoke to Paul. Read the Book of Acts.

Read these Scriptures. Jesus appeared to Paul
Topical Bible: Jesus, the Christ: Appears to Paul

Were Jesus alive today...Trumpers/conservatives would call HIM a "Marxist"

He's no less or no more of a Christian than any of us.
If he’s engaging in homosexual practices he’s not a Christian

About 6 years ago, my sister was contacted by a woman who claimed to be our sister. Our uncle confirmed to us that our mother had had a baby girl as the product of an affair, and he had paid her hospital bill for the delivery. We have welcomed our sister into the family. I hope your experience is similar.

I found a right wing "family values" Christian website that defined "adultery" as a relationship between a man and a women who is betrothed, or married. If the woman is single, and the man is married, it's not adultery. So these right wing hypocrites have found a way to excuse adulterous affairs. These hypocrites can justify anything.
There's no question Trump has a past. But he's done more for people of faith than any preceding president. So maybe there's hope for the old goat after all

What exactly has he done? IMO he's mostly made his supporters look like hypocrites.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...f6abd_story.html?arc404=true#comments-wrapper

If Trump can repeatedly continue to sin and still be a Christian, why can't Pete?

Oh, bullcorn. Jesus was a conservative Christian. He never referred anyone to a government program, but always to God.

Maybe Mayor Pete was referring to his faith in Cardigans.

00-story-pete-buttigieg.jpg

Oh, bullcorn. Jesus was a conservative Christian. He never referred anyone to a government program, but always to God.

Basically you are arguing we should freely give to the poor. Even with government programs the poor often times are not taken care of. When exactly do you suppose we will step up and do what the Bible instructs us to do?

Basically you are arguing we should freely give to the poor. Even with government programs the poor often times are not taken care of. When exactly do you suppose we will step up and do what the Bible instructs us to do?
You obviously aren't aware of Christian hospitals, inner city gospel missions, the Salvation Army. Catholic Charities, overseas missions, etc.

You obviously aren't aware of Christian hospitals, inner city gospel missions, the Salvation Army. Catholic Charities, overseas missions, etc.
Soup kitchens, shelters, famine and disaster relief, and all the rest. No government, no corporation, no other organization at all has been as charitable as Christianity has.

He hasn't done ANYTHING for people of faith. He has pandered to the worst instincts of the religious right on abortion, birth control, moving the American embassy to Jerusalem. In terms of protection religious minorities, attacks on synagogues and mosques have increased, as have mass shootings in churches, and he's attempted to ban all Muslim immigration as well as trying to codify discrimination against minorities on the basis of religious beliefs. Those are attacks on the religious freedoms of the majority of Americans.

Last but not least, Trump isn't doing this on the basis of right and wrong, he's trying to ensure the religious right continues to instruct their parishoners to vote for him.

Why do you say this? Even if they're bad, we've already got graham and falwell and those sorts of fools.

It is easier to pass a camel through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven

Clearly a Marxist

Render unto Caesar...

Why do you say this? Even if they're bad, we've already got graham and falwell and those sorts of fools.

Muslims take, they don't give. Christians are much more tolerant than muslims.

Soup kitchens, shelters, famine and disaster relief, and all the rest. No government, no corporation, no other organization at all has been as charitable as Christianity has.
When my parents` home took on 8 ft. of water from hurricane Ivan in 2004 the Salvation Army helped us with food and cleaning supplies during the emergency and the St. Vincent Depaul came through with a check for $150. FEMA wrote a check for $13,000 to help rebuild and replace things that were destroyed. $13,000 is a bit more than $150 and cleaning supplies. You think?

Do not speak in general about Christianity. It cannot be done. It was a disappointment to find out how bigoted some of these organizations actually are. I used to give to the Salvation Army since I was little and my mother gave me money to put in the red pot. No more. I now give to non-bigoted charities.

Forum List

Back