Petition to remove Westboro's Tax Exempt Status

Hey all they're trying to do is hate gay people. On this site that's worth quite a few positive reps!

No they are harming the families of fallen service men and women, the GOP cares much more about them then the Dimocrats!

The administration got it right, because of the slippery slope. I hate the Westboro lunitics, but denying them rightful tax exempt status based on their views is a dangerous slippery slope that the country should NOT go down!

why should anyone be joining it? and the op is a liberal so that is why I assumed..

Did you miss this piece from the liberal OP?

I think they handled the petitions correctly. Until churches as a whole lose their tax-free status, none should be singled out.

I can't stand them either but I would never suggest the government do anything about it..

I agree, didn't stop you from ranting about liberals though.

why should anyone be joining it? and the op is a liberal so that is why I assumed..

I think they handled the petitions correctly. Until churches as a whole lose their tax-free status, none should be singled out.

I can't stand them either but I would never suggest the government do anything about it..

My fav post was the one calling the WBC liberal. :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh go whine about what someone posted for crying out loud

As far as im concerned ALL churches should lose tax exempt ststus when a certain level of income is obtained. Funds for charity should of course still be exempt.

Churches don't even pay property taxes. They don;t have to file any reports of their income like EVERY OTHER CHARITABLE CAUSE.

IMO the tax exempt status of all churches should be revoked with the exception of donations to verifiable charitable causes. Churches are nothing but country clubs and research reports have shown that 90-95% of the money donated goes to the trappings of that church...buildings, supplies, events, choirs, golden chalices, hosts, stained glass windows, artwork, etc.

I wonder what our national deficit would be if donations to churches were not deductible?

oh go whine about what someone posted for crying out loud

Delicious irony coming from you.

And the response from the White House;

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/heres-what-we-have-say-about-westboro-baptist-church

That all said, we agree that practices such as protesting at the funerals of men and women who died in service to this country and preventing their families from mourning peacefully are reprehensible-- a point that President Obama has made for years. That's why he signed a law to ensure that protesters keep an appropriate distance at military funerals. As the President has said, “The graves of our veterans are hallowed ground, and when men and women die in the service of their country and are laid to rest, it should be done with the utmost honor and respect.”

Moreover, one of the remarkable things about this set of petitions is that it shows just how strong the bonds that unite us can be. Together, we’re more resilient than those who would try to drive us apart.

Take, for instance, this map of all the signers of the petition "Legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group" -- that we built with the zip codes that people chose to share with us when they signed. The darker color indicates a higher percentage of signers for that particular area's population. While support for these petitions came from all over the country, it was densely clustered in two places that have unique insight into the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church -- Kansas, the state the church calls home, and Newtown, Con

Why should churches lose tax exempt status? Are you one of those people that hate the Dalai Lama?

And the response from the White House;

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/heres-what-we-have-say-about-westboro-baptist-church

That all said, we agree that practices such as protesting at the funerals of men and women who died in service to this country and preventing their families from mourning peacefully are reprehensible-- a point that President Obama has made for years. That's why he signed a law to ensure that protesters keep an appropriate distance at military funerals. As the President has said, “The graves of our veterans are hallowed ground, and when men and women die in the service of their country and are laid to rest, it should be done with the utmost honor and respect.”

Moreover, one of the remarkable things about this set of petitions is that it shows just how strong the bonds that unite us can be. Together, we’re more resilient than those who would try to drive us apart.

Take, for instance, this map of all the signers of the petition "Legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group" -- that we built with the zip codes that people chose to share with us when they signed. The darker color indicates a higher percentage of signers for that particular area's population. While support for these petitions came from all over the country, it was densely clustered in two places that have unique insight into the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church -- Kansas, the state the church calls home, and Newtown, Con

Why should churches lose tax exempt status? Are you one of those people that hate the Dalai Lama?

The Dalai Lama has a church? In America?

Meh...nobody gave two shits about Westboro when it was just gays that were their targets.

Westboro has always been in the news, you just didn't pay attention until you decided to unleash a hate campaign on people that disagree with you.

The Westies are among the least sympathetic groups out there. IN any decent dictatorship they would be lined up against the wall and shot.
But this is not a dictatorship (yet) and even people spewing crap like they do are entitled to all the protections of the Constitution. That is the beauty of our system.

The second group that gets lined up would be the homosexuals, which is what makes the hate group designation so stupid.

The Westies are among the least sympathetic groups out there. IN any decent dictatorship they would be lined up against the wall and shot.
But this is not a dictatorship (yet) and even people spewing crap like they do are entitled to all the protections of the Constitution. That is the beauty of our system.

The second group that gets lined up would be the homosexuals, which is what makes the hate group designation so stupid.

Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating.

Isn't it? Stephanie is the Beloved of the Goddess of Irony. Her daily offerings highly please with their quantity and quality. :D

and your daily dose of nonsense is still boring...but you have a groupie so light up that stage and go for it

^ See? :lol: The Goddess is well pleased. Keep the Irony coming, Stephanie.

whoops, didn't get a atta girl from your groupie with that one...your show must be boring them too

Yup...that's why they switched targets. They weren't generating enough revenue when it was just the queers they were picking on...too many like Rabbi and Katz LOVED them for it.

Uh, no. It's not all about you.

btw, is it worse to agitate to punish the Westies for their views or to punish Russia for its views?

You just reiterated my point. Y'all didn't give a shit about Westboro as long as it was jus fag funerals they attended. The "punishment" aspect didn't take off until they switched targets.

I fully support their right to protest funerals AND retain their tax exempt status. They aren't "political", just assholes. Lots of churches are assholes.

I suggest you stop pretending that you know everything. They have been protesting outside churches, funerals, football games, and concerts since the day they first set up shop.

Unfortunately good soldiers have to die to protect their rights.

And no one cared about them until they went after those good soldiers.

The same people that didn't care before then still don't care. It is the idiots that gave them national air time, and started handing them commercial time on radio and TV stations in order to prevent protests, that keep them in business. If you just ignored them they would go away, even Phelps has admitted that.

Forum List

Back