Philadelphia mayor candidate: 'I would shut down Kensington,' clear drugs and crime

Just so you people know, Kensington is where the 'L' train goes through, most all platform stops and entrances are on Kensington, restricting the area would be problematic. But the mayoral candidate is bringing up discussion that others are ignoring, no matter if the idea is feasable or not, the true intent is to get them onto focusing on the root of problems.

Treatment is voluntary and it is not against the law to be an addict, so let me ask again, where will they go?
If they are breaking the law they can be arrested (and likely most of them do that every day), charged, and given options in plea deals. So I will ask you your solution is that there isn't one. Just let the zombies do their thing.

If they are breaking the law they can be arrested (and likely most of them do that every day), charged, and given options in plea deals. So I will ask you your solution is that there isn't one. Just let the zombies do their thing.
Complex problems defy simple solutions. Shutting down Kensington will solve nothing but make it someone else's problem.

He doesn't stand a chance, especially since he said he'd clean up the drugs. Libs don't want that and that's a third world lib city drug haven. He would have better chances winning powerball 30 times in a row.

So what is the answer?
The best answer has always been to treat drug addiction as a public health issue with no easy fixes. As long as there is a market for drugs the bad guys will find a way to supply it. Our drug war simply created the most resilient smuggling operation in human history.

Kensington is Philly's problem.
I agree.

And their politics provides no solutions.
I'll have to abstain on that one since I don't know their politics very well.

My gut tells me the problem has many causes
  1. Drugs are illegal so
    1. they are expensive
    2. they draw people into an underworld of crime
    3. they isolate people from their family
    4. they draw people to cities where drugs are readily available
  2. Many mental health experts consider addition an illness but treatment is expensive and not available everywhere
My solution? Just give people the drugs they want. They will probably get them anyway but they will no longer have to commit crimes or support drug dealers. John Lennon was a heroin addict for a time but he was still a productive member of society and it didn't ruin his life.

Forum List

Back